Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer says X73 + 20" wheels will have some rubbing - anyone experienced rubbing?

There have been a few posts about 20" and X73 but no mention of rubbing - almost exclusively things like ride firmness. Can anyone who has the X73 + 20" + BS + PDK (if the last two matter) comment?

This is my DD and I do understand about the drop and having to be more careful with driveways, speed bumps, etc. I will use my 19's at the track so I'm not driving hard on the 20's.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: Dealer says X73 + 20" wheels will have some rubbing - anyone experienced rubbing?

If they're factory 20s, then your dealer is full of it. The GTS came stock with 20" wheels and the X73 was a factory option. Both were also options on any Cayman/Boxster, so they arent an issue if you're using factory 20s.

If they're aftermarket, you just need to be aware of the offset, but most any that are designed to fit the Cayman, should work with the X73.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Re: Dealer says X73 + 20" wheels will have some rubbing - anyone experienced rubbing?

I have X73 and 20's, but have never experienced any rubbing. I can't imagine that Porsche would allow a vehicle out the door that rubs with a factory setup.

The car DOES make a "clunking" sound up front when doing tight steering maneuvers at very slow speeds (parking lot), but I guess this is normal based on the steering geometry. Much more pronounced when cold outside with stock Pirelli tires.

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks. That helps a lot - this is one of the 3 check boxes I couldn't get when I searched for my dream car. I think the dealer is being cautious so I'm going forward.

·
Registered
52 Posts

I've driven my Cayman with X73 and 20" wheels on track, in the hills and over speed bumps...never experienced rubbing.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts

My wheels are aftermarket 20"...they are wider than stock...and yes. They rub under severe load or a heavy bump. (Yes...I run x73). I cannot comment about OEM Porsche wheels.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have X73 and 20's, but have never experienced any rubbing. I can't imagine that Porsche would allow a vehicle out the door that rubs with a factory setup.

The car DOES make a "clunking" sound up front when doing tight steering maneuvers at very slow speeds (parking lot), but I guess this is normal based on the steering geometry. Much more pronounced when cold outside with stock Pirelli tires.
I have X73, OEM 20" wheels and Pirelli's and have had exactly same experience as wasupdu.

·
Registered
8 Posts

There have been a few posts about 20" and X73 but no mention of rubbing - almost exclusively things like ride firmness. Can anyone who has the X73 + 20" + BS + PDK (if the last two matter) comment?

This is my DD and I do understand about the drop and having to be more careful with driveways, speed bumps, etc. I will use my 19's at the track so I'm not driving hard on the 20's.

Thanks in advance.
With X73 I have scrape anxiety frequently and have to reverse into my driveway. I AX'd the GTS on the 20's a few weekends ago and they went well, what a hoot! I think I did about 2000miles of wear in 1mile on the Pirelli's tho....

·
Registered
43 Posts

I have a CS manual transmission with X73 and 20" Carrera Classics. 3 runs on Nurburgring and never once had any wheel well rubbing.

·
Registered
404 Posts

No problem.

I have 20" Champion Motorsports wheels, H&R lowering springs, X 73, and Cup 2s that are a size wider (245) in front. In addition to occasional use in town, I track it regularly and constantly (on purpose) ride up on the curbing. Nary a rub on my 14 CS, manual.

·
Registered
478 Posts

Stock 2016 CGTS with 20" and X73 = zero rubbing. I do not experience any issues scraping over speed bumps - I can take them head on, no issues. I occasionally scrape coming out of driveway - but that is only a drivers side front plastic mud flap...belly pan does not scrape.
There is a known problem of the front tires skipping when near full steering wheel lock at low speeds. Not related to scraping.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts

Ditto to the above.. X73 and OEM 20in wheels and no rubbing. D

·
Registered
173 Posts

I have 20" wheels but not X73 and I get the "Clunk" when turning tight especially when cold. I actually think that it's not a clunk but rather the front tyres getting pushed along and scrubbing, it certainly feels like that.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

I have the 'worst' possible setup for rubbing, since I have X73 AND the widest 20" factory wheels (turbos, which are 1/2" wider all around than stock, just like the Technos), and zero rubbing. I plan to replace the tires with 245/275, since my wheels are too wide for 235/265, but they shouldn't rub either. I wouldn't want the offset any more aggressive than it already is, or you'd destroy your paint (or clearbra). Function should always be the #1 priority on a sports car, not looks, but to each his own.

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks everyone for responding. I've gone forward and ordered the kit. Looking forward to when it arrives.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Echoing here..... Have '16 CGTS x73 w/ stock 20s and no rubbing. Have had 17000 glorious miles and am about to move up from 235/265 to 245/275 later today. Plenty of room for clearance. If this is the quality of guidance you are receiving from your dealer, then maybe you need to consider a different dealer.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

Echoing here..... Have '16 CGTS x73 w/ stock 20s and no rubbing. Have had 17000 glorious miles and am about to move up from 235/265 to 245/275 later today. Plenty of room for clearance. If this is the quality of guidance you are receiving from your dealer, then maybe you need to consider a different dealer.
+1

I would no longer be able to trust anything this dealer told me. How can they possibly not know that Porsche sells this exact combination as a factory combo? I'm running H&R springs which are 10mm lower than X-73 along with slightly wider 275/245 tire combo, AND 7mm spacers all the way around moving the wheels out and still no rubbing.

·
Registered
28 Posts

+1

I would no longer be able to trust anything this dealer told me. How can they possibly not know that Porsche sells this exact combination as a factory combo? I'm running H&R springs which are 10mm lower than X-73 along with slightly wider 275/245 tire combo, AND 7mm spacers all the way around moving the wheels out and still no rubbing.
It would certainly be a legitimate concern for the OP.

I just got the car back with the 245/35R20|275/35R20 setup (no spacers) and had no issues with rubbing even when using a lock-to-lock turn coming down hill into my driveway and garage. Did the lock-to-lock just to see BTW - not because I had to. :)

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

I just got the car back with the 245/35R20|275/35R20 setup
Did you notice the fender gap reduction? Just curious. The theoretical increase in radius is 10mm x 0.35, or 3.5mm. Curious if you noticed that on your X73 car. I plan to do the same thing, although my wheels are 1/2" wider (forged turbos) all around, making those sizes ideal for those widths. The 20" wheels/tires already look massive on our little cars, so hope that's not noticeable. Also the speed should be spot on, as it was 1 or 2 mph less than real before. Looking forward to your pics;). By the way, I think Michelins are a bit shorter than Goodyears, so maybe the PS4Ss in 245/275 35s will be just as tall as my current F1 235/265 35s. Who knows.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.