Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It feels like spring has sprung in the Northeast. It is now time to schedule a visit to the dealer for spring maintenance.

Before I visit the dealer I would like to flash back to stock. My question is there a way to verify that I have flashed back to stock with the Durametric software? The reverse question is also applicable - is there a way to verify the Softronic flash is installed through Durametric software? I know a spirited drive should reveal the answer but I still would like to verify if it is possible.

Thanks!

Dave

·
Registered
111 Posts
It feels like spring has sprung in the Northeast. It is now time to schedule a visit to the dealer for spring maintenance.

Before I visit the dealer I would like to flash back to stock. My question is there a way to verify that I have flashed back to stock with the Durametric software? The reverse question is also applicable - is there a way to verify the Softronic flash is installed through Durametric software? I know a spirited drive should reveal the answer but I still would like to verify if it is possible.

Thanks!

Dave
Dave -

Every time you flash, you are increasing the stored flash counter in your DME. Having 10+ flashes... assuming you flash back and forth every time you go to the dealer before your out of warranty, will throw more of a red flag then actually being flashed in the first place.

Just something to consider when flashing with anyones system.

BTW - where about in CT are you?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony thanks for the post, but this is little troubling since I had hoped to goto the dealer a couple of times a year (warranty goes thru 2012) and the recommendation was to reflash back to stock. Maybe I need to rethink my dealer visits and find a good local shop.

I had read that Softronic did a complete write of the DME and flashing back to stock included restoring the flash counter. Bummer, I guess I should have validated that info with Scott.

BTW I am located in the Farmington valley in CT.

Thanks for all the responses!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
607 Posts
I had a softronic flash and visited the dealer a number of times, it never came up... even had a failed O2 sensor and they still fixed it under warranty with the flash... never brought it up. Just drive it in and see what happens.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Tony thanks for the post, but this is little troubling since I had hoped to goto the dealer a couple of times a year (warranty goes thru 2012) and the recommendation was to reflash back to stock. Maybe I need to rethink my dealer visits and find a good local shop.

I had read that Softronic did a complete write of the DME and flashing back to stock included restoring the flash counter. Bummer, I guess I should have validated that info with Scott.

BTW I am located in the Farmington valley in CT.

Thanks for all the responses!

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure that the Softronic software resets the flash counter as well so nothing unusual shows up, but verify that with Scott to be certain.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the Softronic software resets the flash counter as well so nothing unusual shows up, but verify that with Scott to be certain.
But here's the trick... Our cars rarely came with 0 or 1 flashes from the factory. Porsche keeps records of how many times each car has been flashed.

Most cars I have seen have been flashed 0-4 before a dealership even takes delivery. This means reseting it to 0 flashes can throw up a red flag as well. Especially if the the dealer has performed a factory flash update in the past that they know of, and the flash counter magically reads "0" again. Basically, the flash counter would need to be "cloned" and not just cleared.

There is no way to flash these car and stay 100% undetected... Well you can buy a second DME (cheaper and easier then you think).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like Softronic does handle the flash counter to our advantage. Please see this thread, post #13 by Scott: http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/37627-2009-softronic-winter-special.html. Thanks for the heads-up though, it is better to be safe since I do want to maintain a good relationship with the dealer.

I would still love to hear from anyone on a way to electronically verify the DME flash (stock or Softronic). This week, I will play around with the flash client to see if it has that capability.

Thanks for the replys!

·
Registered
111 Posts
It looks like Softronic does handle the flash counter to our advantage. Please see this thread, post #13 by Scott: http://www.planet-9.com/news-items/37627-2009-softronic-winter-special.html. Thanks for the heads-up though, it is better to be safe since I do want to maintain a good relationship with the dealer.

I would still love to hear from anyone on a way to electronically verify the DME flash (stock or Softronic). This week, I will play around with the flash client to see if it has that capability.

Thanks for the replys!
Skeptical... but good info for softronic customers if its accurate! Good find.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Skeptical... but good info for softronic customers if its accurate! Good find.
I specifically emailed Scott about this very issue a few weeks back. His response makes good sense given the way flash (EEPROM) is programmed.

I am sure that there is a register that maintains a history count of updated (re-flashes). However, unless the software tuner used to update the flash explicitly updates that register it will retain whatever value it had previously. Scott’s software tuner does not touch this register, therefore, the value will always be the last value that the Porsche factory tuner wrote to it.

Because Scott uses the original flash as the baseline for each individual car he tunes, when you revert to the original flash using Scott’s software tuner you get whatever the factory tuner put in the history count register when it last flashed the car. Likewise when you re-flash with the modified file Scott provides you, even it has the value that the factory tuner placed there.

Here is my question and Scott’s reply:

My Question to Scott:

Hi Scott,

I have your SRP package and I have a question about flashing my 2008 CS. I have heard that there is a register, in the flash, that counts the number of times that the flash has been updated. Can this register be zeroed out? If it can do you sell a utility that will do this.

Thanks,

Mark

Scott’s Reply:

This only applies to the factory tool or other tuners. This sounds like the misinformation is still at work on the internet.

Best,
Scott

Bottom line is if you revert to the original flash the dealer will NOT be able to tell.

I hope this sheds some light on this issue.

Mark

·
Vendor
1,025 Posts
Hello all,

Thank you Mark for posting the info as I didn't even relies that it was being brought up again on this site.... The info you posted is correct in the flashing increments stored on the DME. I find it amazing how much mis-information is out on the net and especially on what I sell and make.

In regards to a second DME, well this is a BIG no no. Why? well the second DME does not increment with the other modules and would be out of sync for hours, mileage and other original install attributes that I will not discuss and shows like a red flag.

The DFI cars are also written with a certificate by Porsche when first done and there after thus recorded for flashing. Take a DFI DME out and send it to flash? To do this may trump the Certificate yet shows obvious removal and disassembly as they are crimped and glued. This is now Porsche's number 1 check on DFI cars for warranty repairs and voids all driveline warranties.

Best Regards,
Scott Slauson

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hi Folks,

I have a related question. Just got my car back from the dealer after some minor warranty work. Now the car feels and sounds slightly different (perception perhaps). Is it likely that the dealer could have re-flashed my ECU? If so, is there a way I can tell or should I just re-flash the softronic file which may or may not already be installed?

Cheers

Chris

·
Vendor
1,025 Posts
Hi Folks,

I have a related question. Just got my car back from the dealer after some minor warranty work. Now the car feels and sounds slightly different (perception perhaps). Is it likely that the dealer could have re-flashed my ECU? If so, is there a way I can tell or should I just re-flash the softronic file which may or may not already be installed?

Cheers

Chris
Hello,

Yes it is possible that they re- flashed the car however it has to be listed on the RO. They will put that the car had warranty work such as an DME update etc. The cars will also go through a re-adaption should the battery every be replaced or disconnected. This would also apply if the codes have been erased and they do not have to be faults that would cause a CEL. One example would be a Battery Voltage code that could be erased and then put the car in an adaptive state. This would then cause the car seem to drive differently at first until it has fully adapted again.

Best Regards,
Scott

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Every time I get a service the car feels sluggish. What I have learnt is never to get a service close to a speed or race event. :crazy:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks Scott and co,

So assuming I'm satisfied that the code is still in situ, but I feel the battery has been disconnected. Is it advisable to disconnect it again and then drive it like I stole it to allow the engine to adapt to my style of driving?

How long does the battery need to be disconnected and what is the adaption time?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Yes I would disconnect the battery and then drive it hard. It doesn't have to be disconnected very long; coupe minutes.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Engine cover off > filter replaced > de-snorkle re-installed > cover on > quick drive to warm her up > disconnect battery > start her up > drive between 5K and 7K rpm for the next 8 miles > 13.6mpg (UK) > SRP 4.1 confirmed > smiles all round... ;)

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Engine cover off > filter replaced > de-snorkle re-installed > cover on > quick drive to warm her up > disconnect battery > start her up > drive between 5 and 7Krpm for the next 8 miles > 13.6mpg (UK) > SRP4.1 confirmed > smiles all round... ;)

How do you start it with a disconnected battery, or did you leave out the reconnection part?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.