Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took my Cayman to the dealer to have a spare key programmed as well as the safety inspection, and asked for No wash please. When I returned they had just washed it to my internal dismay (its wrapped in Suntek Ultimate), at first glance it looked undamaged. When I got to my garage I took another look at the head lamps- they lifted the ppf and the lens is delaminating. I knew full well at the beginning that once its applied it cannot be removed without delaminating the lights...I don't let anyone else but me wash it. I took it back and they said they would cover getting it re sealed by their detailer, but I don't think the SA was aware of the new uv coating on the 981/991/718s which not the same stuff on the 997 or earlier cars and to my research not easy to find.

Anyone know what the oem equivalent uv coating is or anyone that provides a restoration service for 981/991/718 head lamps specifically? Location and money is no factor, so long as it is less than the $1395 for a new pdls headlamp.

Learning point: Always have a huge sign on the car that says NO WASH. Thankfully only the back and tail lights have swirl marks now.

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Yellow Rim Brown

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I took my Cayman to the dealer to have a spare key programmed as well as the safety inspection, and asked for No wash please. When I returned they had just washed it to my internal dismay (its wrapped in Suntek Ultimate), at first glance it looked undamaged. When I got to my garage I took another look at the head lamps- they lifted the ppf and the lens is delaminating. I knew full well at the beginning that once its applied it cannot be removed without delaminating the lights...I don't let anyone else but me wash it. I took it back and they said they would cover getting it re sealed by their detailer, but I don't think the SA was aware of the new uv coating on the 981/991/718s which not the same stuff on the 997 or earlier cars and to my research not easy to find.

Anyone know what the oem equivalent uv coating is or anyone that provides a restoration service for 981/991/718 head lamps specifically? Location and money is no factor, so long as it is less than the $1395 for a new pdls headlamp.

Learning point: Always have a huge sign on the car that says NO WASH. Thankfully only the back and tail lights have swirl marks now.

View attachment 168146
Bummer, I have my headlamps covered as well, I am surprised that there is no way to remove the film without pulling off the coating on the headlamp!? Perhaps had I known this I would not have had them covered, oh well too late now.

Everybody has their tolerance level, to this kind of damage mine was initially very low but even I am surprised how tolerant I have become! ;)

If it were me I would simply 'ignore' the defect or ask what the dealer can do to correct their damage. Next option would be to keep an eye on eBay for a replacement.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think I have a case for them to replace it for free? I asked them not to wash due to potential damage, they went and washed it anyway and caused said damage. There is no satisfactory way to repair it that I can find to make it like oem. I can almost understand the damage if I asked them to wash it, but I told them not to. Is this something that can go to small claims court, if they try to rip me off? I don't think I need to shell out $1395 because of negligence in doing a service I told them not to do.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Do you think I have a case for them to replace it for free? I asked them not to wash due to potential damage, they went and washed it anyway and caused said damage. There is no satisfactory way to repair it that I can find to make it like oem. I can almost understand the damage if I asked them to wash it, but I told them not to. Is this something that can go to small claims court, if they try to rip me off? I don't think I need to shell out $1395 because of negligence in doing a service I told them not to do.
Sorry, I am not located in the US, small claims and that process down there is an unknown for me, not that I would even suggest that route, I would approach the dealer though, it can't hurt to ask, especially since you asked them not to wash your car, they may replace it but even if they don't they should know about it. I have always taken the stand that the dealer is a good friend to have, approach it carefully and honestly and they may surprise you...

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would press them to pay for it since you clearly said not to wash it. I brought mine in for service and told the SA to make sure he noted on the write-up not to wash it (I wash it myself, no car washes and no dealer washes since the GR paint will swirl at slightest provocation). Well, when they rolled the car up, I saw it was washed, and very badly at that! I asked the SA why they washed it when I said "no wash" and after checking with the manager he said somebody saw my car standing there after the service and said "why have you not washed that one?", so of course the washer washed it! In other words, it does matter what you told the SA and what he actually wrote on the service order (I checked it and it said "customer requests no wash"), it may still get washed. They did no apparent damage but I'm sure I got a few swirls from their less than stellar job. If they had damaged something, as they did in your case, I would be screaming bloody hell until they agreed to cover it. You are right, they are wrong. Demand they make good.

Reactions: H man

·
Registered
632 Posts
Dealership should just not wash customer cars automatically. Instead, they should ask each customer. I'm not why they are so eager to wash any cars coming out if he service department. Less washes means less work for them. I usually stick 2 to 3 8x11 sheets of paper with "DO NOT WASH" over the radio, on the dash, etc to make sure these guys see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I got a hanger from my retailer that did my car with clear bra and Cquartz that says "Do Not Wash". I put it on my rear mirror when the car goes to the shop.
Dealership should just not wash customer cars automatically. Instead, they should ask each customer. I'm not why they are so eager to wash any cars coming out if he service department. Less washes means less work for them. I usually stick 2 to 3 8x11 sheets of paper with "DO NOT WASH" over the radio, on the dash, etc to make sure these guys see it.

I agree with your comments, but it is amazing how many owners 'expect' that their car will be washed for them before pick up, in fact for many this is one of the few times their cars get washed! :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,931 Posts

I agree. I always put signs in my car AND I make sure that the service advisor puts "NO WASH" on my service order.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I think if the SA actually wrote "no wash" on the order, you should ask them to replace it. There was obviously no sign of the damage indicated prior to the service, and since the damage is consistent with high-pressure water hitting the edge of the film, it makes sense they're at fault.

Given the cost of replacement, however, I'd expect some serious backlash from their part.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I think if the SA actually wrote "no wash" on the order, you should ask them to replace it. There was obviously no sign of the damage indicated prior to the service, and since the damage is consistent with high-pressure water hitting the edge of the film, it makes sense they're at fault.

Given the cost of replacement, however, I'd expect some serious backlash from their part.
Unless you have an extraordinarily good relationship with the dealership, the chance of getting a dealer to pay for damage after the car is driven off their lot is very small. Prior to having any service work performed, I and the SA thoroughly check out my car and the SA makes a note of any imperfections, regardless of how small. When I pick up my car after the service has been performed, I thoroughly recheck my car before I leave the dealership. I think this method is fair to both the dealer and customer.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Unless you have an extraordinarily good relationship with the dealership, the chance of getting a dealer to pay for damage after the car is driven off their lot is very small. Prior to having any service work performed, I and the SA thoroughly check out my car and the SA makes a note of any imperfections, regardless of how small. When I pick up my car after the service has been performed, I thoroughly recheck my car before I leave the dealership. I think this method is fair to both the dealer and customer.
Wow!, if I had to do a pre-service inspection before I took my car in for service and have a salesman corroborate my findings before turning over my keys I think I would be taking my car somewhere else... just sayin'. :(

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Wow!, if I had to do a pre-service inspection before I took my car in for service and have a salesman corroborate my findings before turning over my keys I think I would be taking my car somewhere else... just sayin'. :(
No not a salesman, the service advisor. Actually service advisors for every Porsche dealer in my area always inspect a car prior to taking delivery. I think it's on their check list of things to do prior to accepting the car.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Wow!, if I had to do a pre-service inspection before I took my car in for service and have a salesman corroborate my findings before turning over my keys I think I would be taking my car somewhere else... just sayin'.
No not a salesman, the service advisor. Actually service advisors for every Porsche dealer in my area always inspect a car prior to taking delivery. I think it's on their check list of things to do prior to accepting the car.
Oh! Thanks for the clarification, in that light it actually makes sense, for both parties, no surprises for the owner and no bogus claims either!

I am very fortunate, at least as it relates to me and my experience, the local dealership is very open and honest regarding any interactions, both sales and service, in fact they always go the 'extra mile' to ensure s customer is happy with everything that they do.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I would completely re-evaluate my life if I was the OP. Loosen up and take your 981 to Summit Point immediately for education. You are completely doing Porsche wrong. I think you should get a BMW.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Oh! Thanks for the clarification, in that light it actually makes sense, for both parties, no surprises for the owner and no bogus claims either!

I am very fortunate, at least as it relates to me and my experience, the local dealership is very open and honest regarding any interactions, both sales and service, in fact they always go the 'extra mile' to ensure s customer is happy with everything that they do.
I had a bad experience with an Audi dealership about ten years ago. They changed the tires on my wife's Audi S6 and damaged the wheels during the alignment. I immediately pointed out the damage to the SA, but the tech denied that he did the damage. So from that point forward I insisted that a thorough inspection of my car be undertaken prior to the dealer getting the car for service. That way if anything happens, the dealer can't claim that it wasn't their fault. It's a good policy which protects the customer and dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.