Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to the dealership for an oil change last Friday and picked it up in the evening. It looked clean and didn’t ask for a car wash.
Saturday morning while the car is in the sun, I notice swirl marks, all over the car. Immediately called the dealership, but service department is closed on weekends. Today I talked to the service manager, and told him about the swirls. He said they’d get me in and they will do a polish and seal to get them out.
Has anyone experienced any detailing work at the dealership and if so, how did their work turn out?
I sent the pics to my usual detailer, and he said it’d be around 600-800 to do, and it’d be an all day job.

see pics below.
Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Table Automotive tail & brake light
Car Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Car Hood Vehicle
a

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yes, unfortunately the last people you want washing your car are the Porsche dealerships. This is a systemic issue and complaint it seems no matter what dealership. You have to tell them not to wash it. Not the other way around, or they will just do it thinking they are providing you with a service rather than ruining your cars paint as they more commonly do.

Its common to tell the service advisor working with you to make sure there is a DO NOT WASH note on the paperwork, or tag on the mirror. You would think they would have guys that know what they are doing at a Porsche dealership, but none of them ever do it seems.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Always wash in the direction of wind over the car, swirling is for beginners. Also, being ODC about the wash mitt is a good call. I have a "lower" mitt an "upper body mitt" and a wheel mitt. I also use the Griot garage bucket with the honeycomb shelf to let dirt go below. Every year a new mitt with the others demoted accordingly, cheap paint insurance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, unfortunately the last people you want washing your car are the Porsche dealerships. This is a systemic issue and complaint it seems no matter what dealership. You have to tell them not to wash it. Not the other way around, or they will just do it thinking they are providing you with a service rather than ruining your cars paint as they more commonly do.

Its common to tell the service advisor working with you to make sure there is a DO NOT WASH note on the paperwork, or tag on the mirror. You would think they would have guys that know what they are doing at a Porsche dealership, but none of them ever do it seems.
Yeah this is my first time ever taking it to them. Will probably be my last time as well, as I’ll be taking it to an Indy in the future. I’m glad the service manager took accountability.
But has anyone heard of or had any detailing work done at the dealership? I’m wondering if I should just do it myself? I’ve already bought Compound, Polish, and wax for the job. But I might just save them for another time, depending on how stories have been on dealership detail work.

·
Registered
97 Posts
For those who are washing their own cars, even better than the "two-bucket" method or the grit guards is to get a several wash mitts and only use one per section of the car. That way a dirty mitt never goes back into the wash bucket. Wash mitts are pretty cheap.

·
Incurable Gearhead
997 Posts
OP I haven’t had any correction work done at the dealership, but I did recently treat the car to a professional in-depth paint correction / ceramic coating and OMG! The paint was already in beautiful original shape, but had some minor swirls like yours. They’re gone and the paint looks incredible. Like better-than-new incredible. Better than I feel like could achieve if DIY. If there’s a well respected paint correction shop in your area, maybe the dealership would be willing to reimburse some or all of the cost? Might be worth a try. If it were me I’d check the dealer’s reviews and ask to see their detail shop’s work. If it all checks out, then your car might come back nicer than it went in!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OP I haven’t had any correction work done at the dealership, but I did recently treat the car to a professional in-depth paint correction / ceramic coating and OMG! The paint was already in beautiful original shape, but had some minor swirls like yours. They’re gone and the paint looks incredible. Like better-than-new incredible. Better than I feel like could achieve if DIY. If there’s a well respected paint correction shop in your area, maybe the dealership would be willing to reimburse some or all of the cost? Might be worth a try. If it were me I’d check the dealer’s reviews and ask to see their detail shop’s work. If it all checks out, then your car might come back nicer than it went in!
I actually received a quote from my detailer and he said it’d be around $600-800, and did mention this to the service manager. He said they would do it themselves and couldn’t do the reimbursement method. I’ll check out their Yelp reviews though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually received a quote from my detailer and he said it’d be around $600-800, and did mention this to the service manager. He said they would do it themselves and couldn’t do the reimbursement method. I’ll check out their Yelp reviews though.
Hm...

If your car is in great shape, if you want to keep it for a long(er) time, if you care about how it looks..... I would strongly advise to suck it up, skip the dealership and pay 600-800 for proper detailing. Also put ceramic coating on. Don't let dealership polish your car, they probably don't know how and don't have time to do it properly. They'll remove the swirls, but how much clear coat they will leave, how will they protect the rest of the car, will they leave other types of marks... that's completely different story.

Proper detailer is way to go, and "DO NOT WASH" sign for the next service.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't a lot of dealers outsource their detailing work? I have a hard time imagining they have mechanics or others sitting around available to do the detailing. If it were me, I'd ask the dealer who does the work. When I bought my 981 CPO, the dealer had it detailed by a detailing company before I picked it up (without charge to me). The company did a great job.

·
Premium Member
15 GTS
51 Posts
Don't a lot of dealers outsource their detailing work?
The New Orleans dealership took all their cars to my buddy that had a detail shop down the street. He did every one of the new cars... Also all their ppf, ceramic coatings, ting etc...

Hearing how bad some of the new cars were was pretty astounding. There was no rhyme or reason. Could be a GT3RS that needed multi level paint correction to base Mecans that were perfect. The name of the game with shipped mass produced items I suppose...

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
If I am forced to go to the dealer ( I normally go to my indy Mech), I always decline the dealer washes. They always leave swirls and spots.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and 2010 GT3
710 Posts
Isn’t it special… stealership’s putting 100k cars into a 2.00 brush wash… I hate dealerships

I took my Tiguan in for warranty work and they said my alignment was off 5 minutes after I drove in… they installed an alignment device on the floor and it scans the vehicle…

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was at my local Porsche dealership early summer browsing while my father-in-law dropped his car in for service. I was walking around the showroom admiring a GT2 RS, and some of the new Taycans. Of course the showroom was full of bright lights, and it was easy to see that every new car was covered with swirl marks. The GT2 RS was in desperate need of a polishing. That's when I knew that if I ever needed to have my car serviced by this dealer, I'll never let them wash it. If they saw no value in giving special attention and care to the washing of the GT2 RS, they sure as hell wouldn't take extra care of my Cayman.

·
Registered
2017 Cayman S
52 Posts
I took my car to the dealership for an oil change last Friday and picked it up in the evening. It looked clean and didn’t ask for a car wash.
Saturday morning while the car is in the sun, I notice swirl marks, all over the car. Immediately called the dealership, but service department is closed on weekends. Today I talked to the service manager, and told him about the swirls. He said they’d get me in and they will do a polish and seal to get them out.
Has anyone experienced any detailing work at the dealership and if so, how did their work turn out?
I sent the pics to my usual detailer, and he said it’d be around 600-800 to do, and it’d be an all day job.

see pics below. View attachment 276023 View attachment 276024 View attachment 276025 a
The same happened to my Cayman S & the dealer detailed the car the next day and gave me a loaner car ~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts