Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still happy with the Luxor Beige full interior, it really is cheerful in the car; but yeah, I understand the desire to avoid the reflections in the windshield that drives so many to choose black or duo-tone. Actually all one sees is the black voids in the dash, the array of holes in the radio speaker and the openings in the defroster vent -- anyways, the contrast is visible on the windshield depending on lighting conditions.

Hmm, I was thinking about this, and I wonder if coloring a small part of the dash, between the instrument cluster and the windshield where you really cannot see it from the driver's seat, might alleviate most of the problem? It occurs to me that maybe the ubiquitous "Plasti-Dip" in black would suffice and if one did not like it, simply peel it off?

·
Registered
416 Posts
No Offense Tiger, but I am just putting this out there for the readers that may look at this in the future. If you are really worried about the reflection make sure you do a long test drive. After reading lots of posts on here I was convinced I had to have a black interior, even though I wanted Beige. I live in Houston and it does get sunny here a lot :). Black on a boxster with top down in Summer is killer. As luck would have it I found my perfect fit with beige and figured I would just live with it, glad I did.

Now that I have had it for a couple of months I can say, yes there is quite a glare on the windshield, I find it helpful to look past it and focus on the road or something in the distance and switch my eyes to that, almost like looking thru a window that you can see your self in.

Is it so bad that I am thinking about switching or plastic-dipping, so way, not even close. I do have the leather package so maybe that makes a difference?

·
Registered
299 Posts
The real simple solution is polarized sun glasses! I had a Cayman with full tan interior and always wear sunglasses here in Florida. Never even noticed any glare!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Even with a black interior, there's too much glare for me. The black plastic defrost vents are shiny and reflect off the windshield under the right wrong conditions. I should try polarized glasses.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Even with a black interior, there's too much glare for me. The black plastic defrost vents are shiny and reflect off the windshield under the right wrong conditions. I should try polarized glasses.
You will be surprised. Get some reasonably good ones but even cheep polarized ones will make a difference to the point you won't see the glare.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
You will be surprised. Get some reasonably good ones but even cheep polarized ones will make a difference to the point you won't see the glare.
My issue is I need a prescription so it's a pain. My regular glasses dim but do not polarize. Clip ons scratch the lenses. Maybe I'll get a pair of prescription polarized glasses for driving.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My issue is I need a prescription so it's a pain. My regular glasses dim but do not polarize. Clip ons scratch the lenses. Maybe I'll get a pair of prescription polarized glasses for driving.
Just picked up a back up pair of prescription polarized glasses at Costco for about $165.00. Nice too!

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Just picked up a back up pair of prescription polarized glasses at Costco for about $165.00. Nice too!
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have the black interior and the reflections of the chrome trim just drove me crazy. First, I used 3M Crystalline window tint which has an anti-glare property, but that wasn't enough. So I changed the dash trim to carbon fiber cover pieces and that helped, leaving the chrome trim around the air vents. I asked a carbon fiber vendor if they would do a custom design on the air vents. Their stock off the shelf design covered the entire visible top of the vent with CF. I worked out a deal (at slightly reduced price) for just having the chrome part recovered in CF and that solved the problem and looks great!

Any reflection left isn't strong enough to annoy me.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
On test drives I noticed the reflection on both beige and black dash tops. So, I went with beige which is what I wanted. I've gotten used to it and see past it normally but sometimes use polarized glasses which eliminate the effect.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
The real simple solution is polarized sun glasses! I had a Cayman with full tan interior and always wear sunglasses here in Florida. Never even noticed any glare!
+1. You beat me to it.

For those who need prescriptions, Maui Jim makes the ultimate glare reducing sunglasses (I know, I have eye issues with glare) including prescriptions. Maui Jims make a huge difference and, in my opinion, are worth the investment.

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
+1. You beat me to it.

For those who need prescriptions, Maui Jim makes the ultimate glare reducing sunglasses (I know, I have eye issues with glare) including prescriptions. Maui Jims make a huge difference and, in my opinion, are worth the investment.
You both beat me to it. I had prescription lenses put in my RayBans. :cool:

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
+1. You beat me to it.

Thanks. I didn't know.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do keep a set of polarized sunglasses in the car at all times -- and I can still see the vents and such reflected in the windshield.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Must be my age.....my 2014 Cayman was Luxor and my 2016 Cayman is Luxor. I also live in Florida and DD the car. I have never been that bothered by the reflection.....and I don't wear Polarized just a good set of Porsche sunglasses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts