Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bad news: Our RS60 Spyder was destroyed in a crash with the pit wall exiting turn 15 at Thunderhill on Fathers Day.

Please do not offer advise as to how this could have been prevented/ ovoided. We have had lots of professional analysis.

Cut to the chase: Don't step off the outside of turn 15 with a mid or rear engine car: You will find the pit wall.

Our insurance company (State Farm) will cover the loss, including the upgrades to the car( GT3 LCA,s IPD intake, brand new TPC A/R bars ect) but we will not be covered for any future track activities.

I guess it's time to get a dedicated track car.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
What a disturbing news!!!

I am truly sorry for your loss, even if it gets covered by insurance it's still a loss! Thank God no one got hurt... that's the most important thing! And you're blessed to have your insurance cover your loss.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Ouch... well, on the bright side, the Cayman CS just got announced, right? Should be a better racing option than the Spyder!

I'm amazed that your insurance will cover track activity such as that. Was that an extra charge?

·
Registered
278 Posts
sucks to lose the car, but thankfully you are okay. how did you get state farm to insure? i have state farm and am under the impression they don't cover timed events...? curious as it may be helpful for me in the future. thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The car was covered by our regular State Farm policy. My agent says they won't cover any more track events for any cars we insure with them. I don't blame them!

We are getting another Porsche. Both my wife and I feel like we lost a family member. My wife has been very supportive. (She had every right to kill both my son and I for this!) We are looking at a few CPO RS60s that are around, or maybe a 2009 Carrera S!?

We had a great weekend up till the crash. It was the first DE weekend for us where we had a complete set-up: Camper, car, trailer. The car had the new TPC adjustable A/R bars, two sets of track NT-01s and wheels.....

The car hit the tire barrier and the concrete wall behind it head first and then went air-born and landed on its top. The impact from the roll over bent the roll bar forward on the passenger side. My son was the driver. GT3 seat with six point Schroth belts, HANS device and an SA Arai helment. I think the safety equipment made a big difference, possibly preventing neck injuries.

·
Registered
911 Posts
DE is educational driving. in this case Hooked On Driving (Great to run with by the way). No timed event.
So sorry to hear about your loss and thankful for the lack of serious physical injuries. Hopefully a replacement will reduce the emotional scars.

Interesting to hear that State Farm covered the loss. My understanding was that all the major carriers are specifically excluding any coverage of loss that takes place on a surface designed for racing. Even if it is a DE. No mention of any "timed" criteria. I thought this was why we were seeing new stand alone policies that cover specific, qualified events.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I have not been paid for the car yet. The estimater has been out to survey the car, and I have been asked to provide evidence for any upgrades the car posessed (over $13,000 worth!)

The owner of Hooked On dDriving stated that State Farm and Safco insurance have historicaly paid. I also think that this is a trend that will become even more restrictive, hence the $400.00/day track day insurance that copmanies are selling.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Sorry to hear, really....

I'm also very surprised that your insurance is covering your car + the upgrades, that is fantastic news !

I was on the fence between updating my CaymanS to fight track issues like oil starvation, or updating my 30 year old 911 (of much lesser value) in the cooling department. Your accident is definitely tilting the balance towards the 911, as my insruance specifically excludes DEs !!! Less of a (potential) loss & just as much fun honestly...

·
Registered
204 Posts
Sorry to hear the bad news. I was there on the 19th and during the morning session there was an EVO 9 that spun around that same corner. And in the afternoon a speced Miata. Fortunately the evo and miata did not hit the wall.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Should be a better racing option than the Spyder!
Assuming similar weigh-loss program for the CS, you do realize the Spyder is likely to still carry a better power-weight ratio than the ClubSport.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Yep & the CS chassis will be much stiffer
Stiffer - to some extend, but enough to make a noticeable difference for drivers in DEs or even amature racing? How much stiffer are we talking about between the two cars? And since Porsche designed the Boxster from scratch, chassis rigidity would have been a fundamental part of the design and not afterthought - unlike when car companies turn a coupe into a convertible by bolting on additional structural stiffening stuff.

Not to stir the pot or offend anyone here - I hear hard top being much stiffer as key benefit... but is the Boxster an exception and not the norm?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Casey

This was our first track days with the TPC A/R bars. They were even better than I had hoped. The best single mod we ever did in terms of immediate track improvement.

I will really miss tracking a Porsche. We are healthy enough to continue, and that is the main thing to take away from this.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I am amazed that your insurance covered it, but glad to hear they did. Good luck with the new car.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.