Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to de-badge the "Boxster S":

Fishing wire followed by gently scraping the residue off with a credit card. I then washed and polished the area.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Looks good. Most use dental floss instead of fishing wire even if it's not really wire.

Reactions: RADONCulous

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Looks good! Have you thought about rebadging with " 981 " ?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good! Have you thought about rebadging with " 981 " ?
That is originally what I wanted to do. I have not found the perfect font for the 981 that truly matches OEM. I considered taking the 918 badging and re-ordering the digits; however, that badge has neon green borders that are elevated so even if you painted the edges it would not be perfect. I am waiting for someone to create the 981 badge and then I may add re-add 981 S and consider taking off the PORSCHE. I actually like how clean and non-cluttered it looks with just PORSCHE on there now.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
I want to do this to mine as well, I am however leery of scraping off the glue with a credit card. Did the credit card scratch the clear coat at all? Is there a solvent that is safe for the clear coat that would remove the residue?

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
3M Adhesive Remover (you'll need to re-wax)

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Word of warning. Do this while hot out or use a hair dryer. The glue is really hard to remove even with aggressive adhesive remover. Also, you will probably cause swirl marks in the clear coat and will have to polish it out.

I did mine and like it. My base became a 911 to the un-educated eyes who have 'base boxster stigma' :)

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Word of warning. Do this while hot out or use a hair dryer. The glue is really hard to remove even with aggressive adhesive remover. Also, you will probably cause swirl marks in the clear coat and will have to polish it out.

I did mine and like it. My base became a 911 to the un-educated eyes who have 'base boxster stigma' :)
3M Adhesive Remover (you'll need to re-wax)

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tips. What would be the best stuff to polish the clear coat with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks good, First 981 Cayman I saw was de-badged, didn't know what it was, but I really liked it... bought mine 4 weeks later :)
Use a good clay bar and polish (McGuires makes a nice kit) then wax.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As it is cold this time of year, an alternative to a hairdryer for warming the badge glue, cover the badge with a microfibre cloth folded over several times and pour hot water over the cloth - may need to do it a couple of times and use waxed flossing tape to remove the badge, keeping the badge hot.

Once badge has been removed, use the hot towel method again and glue residue will come off without much pressure or use of chemicals, still need to re-wax/seal the area though.

·
Registered
689 Posts
That is originally what I wanted to do. I have not found the perfect font for the 981 that truly matches OEM. I considered taking the 918 badging and re-ordering the digits; however, that badge has neon green borders that are elevated so even if you painted the edges it would not be perfect. I am waiting for someone to create the 981 badge and then I may add re-add 981 S and consider taking off the PORSCHE. I actually like how clean and non-cluttered it looks with just PORSCHE on there now.
A couple Planet-9ers have been happy with my 987 numbers, so I could create a 981.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I decided to de-badge the "Boxster S":

Fishing wire followed by gently scraping the residue off with a credit card. I then washed and polished the area.

New Year's resolution: Do this! Awesome. I've been lazy (tentative?) to do this. I chose model designation delete when I bought the car but I am going to take the P O R S C H E emblem off. Maybe a nice winter afternoon project. I don't have any lettering on the back of my 993 and I like the easy care aspect of going no lettering.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts