Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've decided to trade in my 2010 Boxster for a 2013 Boxster S and I have a few questions. While I know they are not exactly the same they are pretty close with the exception of one big feature, PASM. The 2013 with PASM is silver gun metal 20's (a color combo that is growing on me) has had two owners and is being sold by a so called wholesale dealer. I am fairly certain they by cars from the auction with slight cosmetic issues that OEM's won't buy because of the cost to make CPO. Hopefully this does not also mean a bad DME report! Many of the cars on their lot had scuffed wheels. I am not certain as to why it would have been sold at auction by the second owner but I am sure there is a story there.

The other 2013 is triple black sold by a non Porsche Dealer, no PASM, but it does have one other feature which might be nice, vented seats. Other than that the only other obvious difference is the Silver PASM does not have a windscreen, which I MUST have, and the triple black does.

My question is:
Do I really want/need PASM! that's a two owner car that's not in the color I want
Do I skip the PASM and get the nicer seats?
When PASM is activated is it stiffer than the stock S suspension?
Does PASM and the stock suspension have different spring rates?
Should I be concerned with the wholesale dealer selling a car with two previous owners.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hey Ampfore,

A tough set of decisions in front of you...

My question is:
Do I really want/need PASM! that's a two owner car that's not in the color I want
Do I skip the PASM and get the nicer seats?
When PASM is activated is it stiffer than the stock S suspension?
Does PASM and the stock suspension have different spring rates?
Should I be concerned with the wholesale dealer selling a car with two previous owners.
PASM is a really nice feature to have. As well as offering adjustability of the ride, a PASM equipped card also actually sits 10mm lower over the stock car. IMHO it makes the car just look better....
While the X73 sports suspension is totally amazing and lowers the car even more, I wouldn't really want to have this on a daily car since it's a little too stiff for a regular use IMO.

I would say that PASM in "normal" mode is actually more compliant and comfortable than the stock suspension. PASM in sport chassis mode is much stiffer. In actual fact, I've very rarely used this mode unless I'm on a really "serious" drive, because "normal" mode is just that good.
I drove both when I was looking at getting my car and ultimately decided that PASM was worth the $$$

On the topic of PASM vs vented seats - that's also a tough one since I have both :)

The vented seats are really nice on a hot day and will give you that extra level of comfort over just blasting out max cold AC. However, if it were down to a tradeoff - I would probably trade the vented seats (while really nice) for PASM. Just my preference.

On the topic of multiple owners, just get the car throughly checked up - If it has been cared for well, you should be fine.

Hope this helps and good luck on your choice - the 981 is an amazing vehicle.

Cheers

-Sam

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I wish the triple black did not have the ventilated seats and this was a pasm only option issue.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Yes, I wish the triple black did not have the ventilated seats and this was a pasm only option issue.
PASM over vented seats for sure!

Plus your comment: "they are pretty close" IMHO is not true, I think that it would be more accurate to say they have similarities, the 981 is significantly different than the 987.

Like you I went from a base to an S model... dare I say night and day! The exclusion of PASM is one of the reasons I gave up my Spyder order and will get a BGTS.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Any way to get some form of PPI done or at least have a Porsche qualified tech separate from the dealer give your favorite a good check prior to purchase? Two owners of a 2013 on face value would make me a tad nervous. I offer this only as the advice I would give myself.........I rarely buy new anymore so it is not that, it is simply that on a car that new i would be looking for CPO.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PASM over vented seats for sure!

Plus your comment: "they are pretty close" IMHO is not true, I think that it would be more accurate to say they have similarities, the 981 is significantly different than the 987.

Like you I went from a base to an S model... dare I say night and day! The exclusion of PASM is one of the reasons I gave up my Spyder order and will get a BGTS.
Both the triple black and the two owner silver PASM are 13's.

Both have:
20 inch rims but not the same ones
Sport Chrono
Nav
Bose
14 way seats
black interior
bi xenons
auto dim mirrors
multifunction steering wheel (the one thing I don't want)
triple black vented seats has 12700 miles
Silver PASM has 16000 miles
Silver doesn't have the wind screen which I really do need

·
Registered
331 Posts
Silver is much better than black for upkeep and then throw in the PASM, silver wins for me.
Plus both cars are still under warranty and the dealer will be happy to fix any little issue that you find.

Get the VIN's and call the dealer who will be servicing your car and ask them to pull the service history to help you make a buying decision.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I have and am happy with PASM, but you can always lower/stiffen the suspension later, though you won't get the integration: PASM stiffens the front under braking, etc. But non adaptive can be pretty good.

Reactions: Spectre

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Both the triple black and the two owner silver PASM are 13's.

Both have:
20 inch rims but not the same ones
Sport Chrono
Nav
Bose
14 way seats
black interior
bi xenons
auto dim mirrors
multifunction steering wheel (the one thing I don't want)
triple black vented seats has 12700 miles
Silver PASM has 16000 miles
Silver doesn't have the wind screen which I really do need
If this is a concern then you could always add (Suncoast):

Attachments

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I am assuming that you are saying there is not too much difference between the two cars you are looking at and not there is not too much difference between your 2010 and a 2013.

That said, I bought my 2013 BS used and it does not have PASM and it is still a blast to drive. I had PASM on a previous Cayman S and while I enjoyed it immensely I decided this BS optioned with most of what I wanted was fine. And, for me I hardly ever put the windscreen in.... but, no I don't want to get rid of it :) Can't imagine that you couldn't buy that component from one of the Porsche dealers..... finally, I really like the vented seats...

If both are in good shape mechanically and visually then I don't see how you could go wrong either way ....

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am assuming that you are saying there is not too much difference between the two cars you are looking at and not there is not too much difference between your 2010 and a 2013.

That said, I bought my 2013 BS used and it does not have PASM and it is still a blast to drive. I had PASM on a previous Cayman S and while I enjoyed it immensely I decided this BS optioned with most of what I wanted was fine. And, for me I hardly ever put the windscreen in.... but, no I don't want to get rid of it :) Can't imagine that you couldn't buy that component from one of the Porsche dealers..... finally, I really like the vented seats...

If both are in good shape mechanically and visually then I don't see how you could go wrong either way ....
Thanks, I would like PASM, but the vented seats will get A LOT more use. When the speeds get above 75-80 I can tell the 10's suspension needs more dampening. With that said I am a little leary of 2 owner 16k mi car. Oddly enough the PASM BS is 2k less. Over all I feel better with the triple black. Either way I'm going to get a DME printout. As long as that does not have any over revs I could feel a lot better about the Silver BS.

·
Registered
734 Posts
If its got vented seats, then its probably also got heated seats with dual climate control. Can't get vented without ticking the "convenience package" box.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If its got vented seats, then its probably also got heated seats with dual climate control. Can't get vented without ticking the "convenience package" box.
What does the convenience package include?

Nevermind, found this:

Convenience Package - $1,170
Wind deflector behind seats; Dual-zone fully-automatic climate control; Passenger ventilation controls; Driver and front passenger seat front seat heated

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
PASM all the way. I honestly think PASM is one of the "must have" things in these cars. The 981/991 PASM program are pretty good

Vented seats? mehhhhhhh ...

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
I honestly think PASM is an entirely optional option. Stock suspension is superb. Extremely sporty, but not harsh at all. I don't know how they did it... If you not planning to track the car - you will be just fine without PASM.

Reactions: gcurnew

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
PASM all the way. I honestly think PASM is one of the "must have" things in these cars. The 981/991 PASM program are pretty good

Vented seats? mehhhhhhh ...
I honestly think PASM is an entirely optional option. Stock suspension is superb. Extremely sporty, but not harsh at all. I don't know how they did it... If you not planning to track the car - you will be just fine without PASM.
PASM all the way, not that the stock suspension is not good, it is great, the PASM takes it to the next level...

Sure you can live/drive with out it but why when you can have it in your car?

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
PASM all the way, not that the stock suspension is not good, it is great, the PASM takes it to the next level...

Sure you can live/drive with out it but why when you can have it in your car?
For example, some people prefer to keep interventing electronics to minimum...

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
For example, some people prefer to keep interventing electronics to minimum...
I understand that thought, and it has value, however consider that electronics can save your a lot of grief even your life, think ABS and PSM, driving dynamics through PASM can significantly improve the way your car will handle on a road surface that otherwise could prove not only disruptive but possibly put you in a position to loose control.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts