Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my car from the dealer today. Decided to give my care a nice facelift.

2006 Boxster S

List of Mods

Techart Front Bumper with LED DRLs
Techart Side Skirts
AWE Exhaust
H&R Coilovers
Vossen 20" VVS094 Siver Machined Wheels
Blackened Porsche Hood Emblem
Clear side lights w/Hoen W5W City Lights
Kraftechnik License Plate LEDs
Tinted (paint) Rear Tail Lights
Aftermarket HID 6000k Head Lights
Porschestrips.com Negative Matte Black Visor Strip
Ultimate Pedals Shiny (Brushed) Anti-slip Pedals
Suncoast Exclusive Carbon Fiber Set (steering wheel, handbrake, shift knob)
Lloyd Custom Mats
Pioneer AVIC-Z100BT Head Unit
Boston Audio GTA-1005 Amp
Interior Superbright Blue/White LEDS

Before :

After:

Added some night time shots. The original above shots were with an iPhone so the quality isn't that good...

I thought I was finally done with my mods...but now my service adviser wants to try and replace the rear with the 09+ rear bumper/led tail lights. :)

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
BAD, BAD, Evil boxter! Beautiful! very nicely done. I wish I could do some of the mods you have done in Maryland without getting harrassed by the state police!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Northwestern alum huh, go cats!

Class of 2005

Which bezel did you use for the double din kit, is that the Japanese kit of the trumillionaire kit?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Northwestern alum huh, go cats!

Class of 2005

Which bezel did you use for the double din kit, is that the Japanese kit of the trumillionaire kit?
Nice i'm a 2005 alum as well...Going to our five year reunion this fall? =P

I got the kit off ebay for around $180.00. I had to repaint it silver to get the "aluminum" look to match the rest of my interior.

From what i've heard the double din kit is the same for 05-10. Only difference being the color paint. 09+ is black and 05-08 is gray. Suncoast sells the double din in black I think.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Awesome, how much did you pay for the techart goodies?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, how much did you pay for the techart goodies?
For the Techart Type II Bumper w/LED DRLs and Side Skirt...painted and installed for around a little less than $8000.00. I had it painted and installed at my local Porsche dealer since they had an aftermarket modification department.

I checked with CEC Wheels in Miami (AD for Techart), which is coincidentally within walking distance of my Porsche AD, and they wanted to charge me $8000.00 just for the parts themselves, no paint and no install.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Absolutely remarkable. Well done my friend! Do you by chance have close up photographs of the Superbright LED's illuminated at night? I ask as I am in the process of purchasing interior LED's for my 986 and am considering in opting in purchasing from the same company as you. Many a thanks ahead of time and enjoy her in the best of health.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Absolutely remarkable. Well done my friend! Do you by chance have close up photographs of the Superbright LED's illuminated at night? I ask as I am in the process of purchasing interior LED's for my 986 and am considering in opting in purchasing from the same company as you. Many a thanks ahead of time and enjoy her in the best of health.
Here is a pic I took tonight. Its hard to take an accurate picture of the LEDs because they are so dim. My photo makes them look brighter than they actually are.

I like these because they aren't as bright as the stock halogen bulbs, but they give a nice white/bluish mood lighting in the car. Most people tend to put higher power LEDs which are too bright. I used 2 of the high powered LEDs for the doors since they splash on the ground pretty nicely though.

This is what I used for the dome lights and the footwells...
WLED-x (194 type) Wedge Base bulbs Specifications

This is what I used for the doors...
WLED-xHP Specifications

This photo was taken at night in a pretty dark area, but with the really long exposure it comes out look brighter than it is. Hope this helps!

·
Super Moderator
6,027 Posts
Question: how did you access the footwell lights? I've been considering changing out the footwell bulbs for LEDs but for the life of me I have no idea how to access the bulbs.

BTW, nice NU license plate frame. CAS '91, MED '95 here :)

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Question: how did you access the footwell lights? I've been considering changing out the footwell bulbs for LEDs but for the life of me I have no idea how to access the bulbs.

BTW, nice NU license plate frame. CAS '91, MED '95 here :)
Go cats!

The footwell lights were a cinch once I found out how to do it. I read the instructions provided by another poster:

http://www.planet-9.com/cayman-boxster-chat/8744-footwell-light-bulb-change-help.html

I used a small flat head screw driver to pop the housing out first. I would make sure the lights are turned off before opening the car door. The bulbs get very hot very quickly and can make changing the bulbs difficult.

Take a small knife or super small flat blade and pop off the cover... work one side at a time. Once you have one side off the little nipples, then try to hold it in place while you work on the other side.

If the metal cover bends a little, do not worry... you will be able to bend it back prior to sliding it back on to the lighting housing.

I just did this the other day as well and the above worked for me. Good Luck and let me know if you are still having problems. :)
I used a small leatherman pocket knife and the flat head screw driver to remove the metal cover, its easily bendable so applying force was okay. I found it was easiest to wedge the screw driver on one side, and use my pocket knife on the other side. Need to remove the plastic nipples from latching onto the metal basically. I removed the housing numerous times when I was testing different color LEDs, so no problem bending and rebending each time.

Once the housing is out you just remove the bulb with something like a screwdriver, and put in the LED. You might need to experiment with the direction of the LED, either one or the other. Should take you no more than 5 minutes to change and put back.

If you want I can take pictures of the process. Lemme know. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Here is a pic I took tonight. Its hard to take an accurate picture of the LEDs because they are so dim. My photo makes them look brighter than they actually are.

I like these because they aren't as bright as the stock halogen bulbs, but they give a nice white/bluish mood lighting in the car. Most people tend to put higher power LEDs which are too bright. I used 2 of the high powered LEDs for the doors since they splash on the ground pretty nicely though.

This is what I used for the dome lights and the footwells...
WLED-x (194 type) Wedge Base bulbs Specifications

This is what I used for the doors...
WLED-xHP Specifications

This photo was taken at night in a pretty dark area, but with the really long exposure it comes out look brighter than it is. Hope this helps!
This is EXACTLY what I was after. Your car is absolutely stunning and is tastefully modified. As far as the emitting color of the bulbs, did you opt for white or blue?

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is EXACTLY what I was after. Your car is absolutely stunning and is tastefully modified. As far as the emitting color of the bulbs, did you opt for white or blue?
White. I've learned the hard way when you buy blue LEDs...they are very VERY blue...and imo generally too blue.

But as you can see the white bulbs still emit a slight soft bluish tint. The long exposure on the camera and balance made it look more blue than it really is. But the good thing about these LED's is that they aren't too overly bright and harsh.

·
Registered
273 Posts
NP, I love the interior of your car, especially the Pioneer head unit install. You did the installation yourself? Or did you use someone? I would love to see more pics of the Pioneer install with different angles.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts