Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm officially retired, I actually have some free time. So, I'm going to do something I've always wanted to do ... take the 981 out to a Driver's Education event. I've never done one before, but everyone who has tells me it's a great experience.

I just got a notice from the North Country Region of PCA that April 17th, 18th and 19th will be the dates for a DE event at the NH International Speedway, so I'm going to book the last two days today. My insurance company will cover me because it's not a racing event, so that's good news.

Finally, I'll be able to actually push the car and see what it can do on a closed circuit. Should be fun .. I'm excited about this. :banana:

·
Registered
155 Posts
You're going to have a blast, as long as the snow is gone by then.

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
492 Posts
If you're willing to do so, have an instructor take you out for a lap (as a passenger) if you can. Or see if you can ride along with an instructor in one like yours. It's quite a difference from a first timer pushing the car on the track -- though you'll still have a blast behind the wheel.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Congrats, Stan! Is this an intro course? I've signed up for one as well with my local PCA region. Mine's on April 25th, so I'll be looking forward to hearing about yours first.

Mine's an intro course that you need to do before doing any other DE events in my region. It's at a racetrack, but I don't even know if we're actually gonna drive on the track. There's no safety requirements for this. No helmet or anything. Just show up and learn.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Congrats, Stan! Is this an intro course? I've signed up for one as well with my local PCA region. Mine's on April 25th, so I'll be looking forward to hearing about yours first.

Mine's an intro course that you need to do before doing any other DE events in my region. It's at a racetrack, but I don't even know if we're actually gonna drive on the track. There's no safety requirements for this. No helmet or anything. Just show up and learn.
Isn't it at Mosport's Driver Development Track with skid pad exercises, at least to start off? Not 100% sure, though.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have different run groups, and I'll sign up for "Beginner." For the first time out, I expect they will be taking it very easy until the instructor is comfortable with you. I wanted to go for the "NASCAR READY" group, but the adult side of my brain over-ruled that adolescent core.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just signed up for my first DE too, though I'll be in slightly warmer weather: Anyone else doing the Roebling Road (Savannah, GA) event March 28-29 with JustTrackIt?

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Isn't it at Mosport's Driver Development Track with skid pad exercises, at least to start off? Not 100% sure, though.
That's correct. :)

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Give us fellow noobies a good report out of the whole thing. I am contemplating doing the same thing this Spring.

What are you doing for insurance?

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I checked with my insurance company, Hanover, and they said that they will cover DE as long as competitive racing is not a part of it. I checked with the event sponsor, and they were emphatic about this being focused on improving driver skills, and no racing would be part of it.

The web site does, however, have links to optional insurance that is available if your own insurance opts out.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Give us fellow noobies a good report out of the whole thing. I am contemplating doing the same thing this Spring.

For my part... I'm not really sure what my insurance would think of the whole thing. It's not racing. It's not a timed event. Frankly... it's driving school. So I'm probably ok.

That said... I'm not really all that concerned. I might have second thoughts about a wheel-to-wheel DE day if I get the impression there are hooligans on the track... but for this intro course, I don't think there's anything evenly remotely risky happening.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I do most of my DE at Mosport with UCR. They run a very good program that you will find very comfortable at any pace, and very safe. Absolutley no racing or hooliganism will be toleretd at the track. They have a black flag for that which you will certainly be introduced to during the IDS. Which will be at the newly refurbished Driver Development Track, nice place to learn for sure. Good luck and I may see you there once you complete your IDS.

For my part... I'm not really sure what my insurance would think of the whole thing. It's not racing. It's not a timed event. Frankly... it's driving school. So I'm probably ok.

That said... I'm not really all that concerned. I might have second thoughts about a wheel-to-wheel DE day if I get the impression there are hooligans on the track... but for this intro course, I don't think there's anything evenly remotely risky happening.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've signed up for a intro to driver ed to be held on March 7 that will be held at a local dealer's facility. They do have capacity at their location for some in car practice however, the way it's being described it appears to be a strictly classroom session.

·
Registered
906 Posts
A suggestion for the New-Bees: Do your homework. I like the book "Ultimate Speed Secrets" by Ross Bentley. Have too much fun!:drivingskid:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I started doing DE's about 2 years ago. It is a lot of fun, and can be addictive.

To start off you don't need anything more than a helmet and the region I'm in has loaner helmets for people attending their first few events. Some regions require a fire extinguisher, some don't. If your region requires an extinguisher it is typcally waived for the first couple events.

As far as insurance, I have always bought a separate track policy from one of the advertisers on this site. I just assumed my regular insurance company would not cover me on track. I have never needed the insurance, but it provides peace of mind. The green run group (beginners) was very safe in every event I attended. No cars off track, but you would occasionally see an interesting line thru a corner. I have to give credit to the instructors - they do a great job teaching and keeping you from doing something stupid / unsafe.

Just listen to your instructor, and keep a reasonable distance from the car ahead of you. If someone wants to pass, give them a point by at the next passing zone. You're out there to safely have fun, and if someone is comfortable going faster than you, let them.

I ended up doing about a dozen track days my first year and about that many again my second year, and have about 20 days lined up for this year. Did I say DE's may be addictive?

·
Registered
14 Posts
A suggestion for the New-Bees: Do your homework. I like the book "Ultimate Speed Secrets" by Ross Bentley. Have too much fun!:drivingskid:
Great tip! This book was recommended to me too and I've found it very helpful so far. Really looking forward to putting the information to use.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I do most of my DE at Mosport with UCR. They run a very good program that you will find very comfortable at any pace, and very safe. Absolutley no racing or hooliganism will be toleretd at the track. They have a black flag for that which you will certainly be introduced to during the IDS. Which will be at the newly refurbished Driver Development Track, nice place to learn for sure. Good luck and I may see you there once you complete your IDS.
Excellent!! I hope if you or anyone else from here ever sees me at an event or something, you'll introduce yourself. :) My plates say W3453L (WEASEL) so you'll know me right away. :D
My homework was an utterly ridiculous number of hours at Gran Turismo. I should be good to go, right? :D

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Now that I'm officially retired, I actually have some free time. So, I'm going to do something I've always wanted to do ... take the 981 out to a Driver's Education event. I've never done one before, but everyone who has tells me it's a great experience.

I just got a notice from the North Country Region of PCA that April 17th, 18th and 19th will be the dates for a DE event at the NH International Speedway, so I'm going to book the last two days today. My insurance company will cover me because it's not a racing event, so that's good news.

Finally, I'll be able to actually push the car and see what it can do on a closed circuit. Should be fun .. I'm excited about this. :banana:
I'd highly recommend an event at NJMP Thunderbolt track, Watkins Glen, or Mont Tremblant. You shouldn't need insurance at a first time event as a beginner - just listen to your instructor. Everyone will be going 1/2 speed, likely in a train of cars learning the line.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I checked with my insurance company, Hanover, and they said that they will cover DE as long as competitive racing is not a part of it. I checked with the event sponsor, and they were emphatic about this being focused on improving driver skills, and no racing would be part of it.

The web site does, however, have links to optional insurance that is available if your own insurance opts out.
You are lucky your insurance will cover you. Mine won't and when I looked into the optional track insurance, I decided autocross was the only thing I could afford to do. I have done one DE and it was a blast but probably never again, at least until insurance becomes reasonable.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts