Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been plotting a Cayman for over a year now, but now that I'm about ready to order and in the position to do so, I've been thinking about the Macan instead.

Here's the logic process.

I love the Cayman. It's probably the best handling car on the market, apart from the million dollar cars out there. It's fit and finish is second to none.

But... the last time I bought a sports car, I wanted my truck back in about 3 months. I guess I'm a truck guy at heart, but that's not a problem, now, since my pickup isn't going anywhere. But, it'll be a daily driver and I just don't see making extra time to drive it like it should be driven on the weekends. I'd opt for a mountain bike ride or hike or something else with my family, instead. If I went to one track event a year, I'd be surprised.

The Macan offers "most" of the sportiness of a sports car, with the added utility of 4 seats, cargo space and even the ability to get to some of the more remote trailheads, with my bikes on a hitch rack.

Oh, and I'd save a bunch in the process, even with the same configuration on an S or spend about the same for a Turbo; not sure the extra $15 grand is worth the 60hp, though! ;)

So, am I being too practical? Should I go with the Macan? Or should I just say the hell with it and get a diesel Wrangler next year?? Definitely a first world problem, I know, but it's hard to discuss with non-enthusiasts, so I thought I'd get some input from you guys.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You've already made your logical case for the Macan over the Cayman. If you don't think you'll be taking road trips or doing track days with a Cayman then be practical with the Macan. You could budget for an annual track day in a rental or do a driving tour in Europe in a Cayman, Boxster, or 911 by renting from Avis. Porsche has some high-end tours including 5-star hotels if you only want to drive a sports car occasionally. If I get tired or bored with extended road trips in the BS I might be interested in a Macan, SQ5, or SQ3.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When I drove the Macan turbo I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. It is fast no doubt and looks fantastic but I was surprised how compromised it felt. For starters it is not as sporty as a Cayman/Boxster (obviously) nor is it as good a family vehicle as a Cayenne. The Cayenne feels more refined to me as well. The back seats are almost compact sedan small and the trunk is not as useful as I would like either. It feels like a huge money grab in every way. Porsche is seemingly trying to appeal to someone who wants to have a sports car but who's lifestyle wont allow it. Not a terribly large target demographic in my opinion. I am not a traditional Audi fan but the Q5 does everything a little better than the Macan for less money with the notable exception of sporty performance. The SQ5 bridges that gap well and though not as fast is still very fun. It is also 20k less if money is a factor which admittedly for some, it is not.

Spending so much money on a vehicle that is not as roomy, functional or family oriented as other choices leaves me personally feeling like the Macan is kind of a one hit wonder (it is very sporty for an suv!!) I cannot speak to the Jeep as I only know two people who own one and both have nothing positive to say about reliability or build quality. Admittedly they are only two people so take that with a pinch of salt.

Only you know what you need in your life. Maybe a small car sounds fun but does not fit your lifestyle and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Maybe you just have not found the right small car yet. Either way if a more utilitarian vehicle tickles your fancy I would seriously rethink the Macan. If your money was my money I would get an SQ5, save 20k-30k and never look back.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When I drove the Macan turbo I was not as impressed as I thought I would be. It is fast no doubt and looks fantastic but I was surprised how compromised it felt. For starters it is not as sporty as a Cayman/Boxster (obviously) nor is it as good a family vehicle as a Cayenne. The Cayenne feels more refined to me as well. The back seats are almost compact sedan small and the trunk is not as useful as I would like either. It feels like a huge money grab in every way. Porsche is seemingly trying to appeal to someone who wants to have a sports car but who's lifestyle wont allow it. Not a terribly large target demographic in my opinion. I am not a traditional Audi fan but the Q5 does everything a little better than the Macan for less money with the notable exception of sporty performance. The SQ5 bridges that gap well and though not as fast is still very fun. It is also 20k less if money is a factor which admittedly for some, it is not.

Spending so much money on a vehicle that is not as roomy, functional or family oriented as other choices leaves me personally feeling like the Macan is kind of a one hit wonder (it is very sporty for an suv!!) I cannot speak to the Jeep as I only know two people who own one and both have nothing positive to say about reliability or build quality. Admittedly they are only two people so take that with a pinch of salt.

Only you know what you need in your life. Maybe a small car sounds fun but does not fit your lifestyle and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Maybe you just have not found the right small car yet. Either way if a more utilitarian vehicle tickles your fancy I would seriously rethink the Macan. If your money was my money I would get an SQ5, save 20k-30k and never look back.
Thanks. I should add that we have a Cayenne diesel already, too.

When we drove the Audi to compare against the Porsches, both my wife and I came away with an "eh" feeling about them, so probably won't go that route.

I've had a Wrangler before, so I know exactly what I'd be in for. Funny to hear your friends complaining about the reliability of them. Mine was trouble free for almost 6 years before trading it (for the Cayenne). Build quality? I'd say mine was pretty darn good... for what it is. It's what you expect for a very utilitarian vehicle. Mine was very basic (tow system and automatic were the only options; maybe A/C; can't remember if that was standard or extra). I ordered half doors and the soft top. If you try to lux up a Wrangler, no doubt you'll get issues, but for a bare bones fun machine, it's right up there with a Boxster or Cayman for fun factor!

The ultimate problem here is this is strictly in the want category, but practicality is creeping in, even there!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ok....reading the conversation here and my summary is.....you are considering a choice between a Macan and a Jeep Wrangler. The Wrangler is a smaller four wheel drive "SUV" (perhaps the Jeep defines the SUV acronym better than almost any other) with good off road capability. The Macan is a smaller SUV with off road capability (probably not as good as the Jeep) that adds a more sporty feel and better performance (more Cayman like). After some thought, the comparison makes sense although the vehicles seem focused very differently to me. The Jeep seems like a vehicle I would be much more willing to take off road in a serious way (willing to take more risk of damage) while the Macan is going to offer more sports car feel around town.

To me, it seems to come down to how much off road driving you want to do. To make a point.... it's the weekend and you want to go on a mountain bike ride or hike with the family. One of your favorite spots is a bit hard to get to (fewer people help make it a favorite spot) and requires some off road driving. Will you be willing to take the Macan there the same way you would the Jeep? If the answer is yes....then the Macan is a better choice than the Jeep because of the fun factor around town when it's not the weekend. If the family wants to go on Bumpass Hell Trail (for example) and you regretfully say "we can't take the Macan".....then get the Jeep! :)

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I've been plotting a Cayman for over a year now, but now that I'm about ready to order and in the position to do so, I've been thinking about the Macan instead.
Porsche is seemingly trying to appeal to someone who wants to have a sports car but who's lifestyle wont allow it. Not a terribly large target demographic in my opinion.
The Macan market is actually a huge market, a MASSIVE market. Sorry to disagree but Porsche sold 45,000 Macan in 2014 and wants to sell 80,000 in a year. They cannot make them fast enough. By contrast, the Cayman market is tiny. Macans are backlogged 4-6 months with little, if any, discounts. It is anything but a one hit wonder but a massive success that will allow PAG to continue to build the sports cars.

The target population is absolutely massive - Sorry, but its targeted at couples with no children or empty nesters (no children). That doesn't mean couples with small children don't buy them because they do. There are first year issues, nothing major, blurry backup cameras, hood alignment issues, minor stuff. As to going off road, how many people take Cayennes off road and it is a true 4 x 4?

So think about the massive number of baby boomers, kids gone, want a fast car, they got some money to spend, don't care about the back seats, want AWD ability, and want to sit higher and more comfortable than a sports car. That is an absolutely massive audience as evident from the runaway sales. Many people find the Cayenne way to big, the Macan the perfect size for the target demographics.

As to how fast is a Turbo? If you have a Cayman S, don't go down to your local drag strip and challenge it. You might be embarrassed.

edit. The Cayman R ran the ring in 8:06. Guess the time of the unofficial Walter Rohrl time for the Macan Turbo

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
i was in the same position some months ago after my bimmer went back to the mothership.

the thing is any car that is sort of an in-between never does anything spectacular. The macan and SQ5 is great for doing many things well. mash the gas and it goes.

If that is what you want - do it.

Wrangler - IIHO, my back is worth alot to me - for me pass.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I would never pick an SUV over a sports car but that is just me. I would rather get the Cayman and spend $4,000 for an old SUV for those times when you need it. No matter how good a SUV is, it's never a sports car. A SUV to me is a car that you can drive over potholes, in bad weather, etc and I would never spend over $50K for an SUV.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
The Macan is a smaller SUV with off road capability (probably not as good as the Jeep)
BAAHAHAHAHAH!!! heh... heh... AHAHAHAH!!! Yeah. Probably. :hilarious:

Ok. Carry on. :D

Reactions: skiahh

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
...4 seats, cargo space and even the ability to get to some of the more remote trailheads, with my bikes on a hitch rack.
Don't you already have a Cayenne that does that? If you get a Macan when you REALLY wanted a Cayman, you're gonna kick yourself every time you see some blissed out person zip past you in his/her sports car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
chows4us "So think about the massive number of baby boomers, kids gone, want a fast car, they got some money to spend, don't care about the back seats, want AWD ability, and want to sit higher and more comfortable than a sports car."

You made some good points chows but your target demo for the Macan was not what I pictured the OP to be (he can feel free to correct me though if I am mistaken.) That said I was incorrect in saying that the target demo was small. The Macan will sell you are correct, it is a cash grab by VW. I personally left my drive really disappointed. Since the vehicle is average at best for anyone who needs space for cargo or rear passangers the Macan felt like a jack of all trades but not a really effective one. The sporty performance is its best attribute and I suppose for your mentioned demo it would make sense.

My wife and I went to drive the Macan as we felt it would be a great fit for me, something sporty with some utility. We left the dealership feeling like the Cayman and a more affordable DD was a much better proposition for us. Obviously everyone has their own needs and desires. I hope the OP finds the best solution for his needs and if the Macan is it, have fun with it and I hope it serves you well :)

P.S. If you are taking a Macan or a Cayman to a drag strip you picked the wrong vehicle. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
You made some good points chows but your target demo for the Macan was not what I pictured the OP to be (he can feel free to correct me though if I am mistaken.) That said I was incorrect in saying that the target demo was small. The Macan will sell you are correct, it is a cash grab by VW. I personally left my drive really disappointed. Since the vehicle is average at best for anyone who needs space for cargo or rear passangers the Macan felt like a jack of all trades but not a really effective one. The sporty performance is its best attribute and I suppose for your mentioned demo it would make sense.
I got no issue with your points. I agree 100% that the back seats are small and the cargo area small. But that is the small CUV class of vehicles. Its the same as a Ford Escape. People cross shop Evoque but its not a 4 x 4.

Their target is baby boomers who want a fast cars, AWD, but don't want to sit low. That demographic is massive. They also target DINKs who would drive a BMW or Audi small SUV. Since they are successful, its kind of hard to argue. In any US Mall, there is a sea of SUVs. Few sports cars.

My wife and I went to drive the Macan as we felt it would be a great fit for me, something sporty with some utility. We left the dealership feeling like the Cayman and a more affordable DD was a much better proposition for us.
I got no issue with that either. I say that because I had ordered a Turbo, and bought a 911 instead. Obviously, I agree. But I can also see when the Turbo S is released, it will be very fast and easy to sit in for the target population.

·
Registered
26 Posts
"They also target DINKs who would drive a BMW or Audi small SUV. Since they are successful, its kind of hard to argue. In any US Mall, there is a sea of SUVs."

Very good point.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
When determining the make-up of a "fleet" of cars (we have 3 in ours), think about avoiding overlap in order to cover the widest possible automotive spectrum. Before I got my first Cayman, I was all set to buy a BMW 535 Xdrive. A week or so before the order was to be placed, a friend of mine let me drive his Ferrari. As I was marveling at the performance/handling, he asked me why I was getting the 535. When I told him that I felt like I needed a 4 door, AWD vehicle. He asked me what other cars we have. When I told him an X5 (wife's), e320 4matic (kids'), he asked: "How many 4 dr, AWD cars do you need?" He suggested I try the Cayman. One test drive and it was over. I cancelled the 535 order immediately.

Sorry for the long story, but as was already mentioned, it seems like you have the family hauler (Cayenne), utility (truck) part of the spectrum, covered. One gaping hole in your line-up is a true sports car (if you like that sort of thing).

·
Registered
45 Posts
OP,

I had the same dilemma about 3 months ago - you can find my post here:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-boxster-comparisons/104052-my-dilemma-boxster-s-macan-s.html

I ended up getting the Boxster S and couldn't be happier with my choice.

We don't even have a truck/SUV in the household. My wife drives a Mazda 3 and the Boxster is my DD. With snow tires we got through this past, absolutely brutal, Boston winter (~105" of snow) with no drama. Obviously there were a number of days bad enough (>4-6" of snow accumulation on the main roads or highway) when I had to take the wife's car but I took every chance I could to drive the BS because it's just so damn FUN!!!

Seeing that you already have a truck AND the Cayenne in the household, I just don't see any reason why you shouldn't get something fun for yourself. But in any case, good luck with your purchase;)!

·
Registered
848 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the long story, but as was already mentioned, it seems like you have the family hauler (Cayenne), utility (truck) part of the spectrum, covered. One gapping hole in your line-up is a true sports car (if you like that sort of thing).
You guys are killing me! Following this logic, I have to say I no longer have a ragtop, since the Jeep is gone. Maybe I ought to go for the Boxster and cover both sports and ragtop options?

Arghh!

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I don't get it. U already have a SUV (Cayenne) and U are torn btwn deciding whether to add a 981 or another SUV (Macan)?? This sounds like an upcoming TV commercial for the Macan. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts