Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last week I have noticed what seems like a new noise from my engine.
It is noticeable during idle and I can hear it in every gear as I accelarate - it seems to disappear at higher than 4K revs, but that could be that the engine noise drowns it out?
It's hard to describe a noise but the best I can do is to imagine that it's something circular, scrolling....but it's not a consistent stable noise, it's more like a rattle, but very muted as if it's deep inside the engine area.
I just did an oil change and after 8K miles the oil was BLACK.....I emptied it out at a local auto store and thought that I heard something that sounded like chunks of something coming out....I wish I had thought before and tried to find any solid matter that was in there....

I went to the dealer in October last year just before my warranty ran out, complaining of what I thought may be injector tapping. The tech at the dealer listened closely to the car and told me that "that's just the way these cars sound". I'm wondering if they did not give me good advice?

Any ideas?

·
On Probation
582 Posts
if it started after the oil change did you put the right oil in

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Make sure the hinged cover for the Oil cap and Coolant cap is closed. It has happened more than once. I know the noise in my car by now. Make sure the oil cap is closed and twisted.

Sometimes the little things get you.

Good luck, and let us know.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure the hinged cover for the Oil cap and Coolant cap is closed. It has happened more than once. I know the noise in my car by now. Make sure the oil cap is closed and twisted.

Sometimes the little things get you.

Good luck, and let us know.
Thanks for this - the noise started before I changed the oil, however I did double check it was on tightly. Not sure about the 'hinged' cap you talk of? Mine is just a screw on.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not sure about the 'hinged' cap you talk of? Mine is just a screw on.
I think he means the cover you open to access the oil & coolant. Mine was ajar the other day & I could hear noise from the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Thanks for this - the noise started before I changed the oil, however I did double check it was on tightly. Not sure about the 'hinged' cap you talk of? Mine is just a screw on.

It may be a bit like shutting the barn door after the horses have fled, but you might consider getting an oil analysis done with your next full change, or even with the current crop of oil in the car. Not endorsing any particular company or program, but (from a google search) something like e.g. Blackstone Labs or similar in your area. Not sure, but there may even be a service endorsed by Amsoil for exampe, see e.g. http://www.oaitesting.com/ or http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/oai.aspx for Amsoil fans. An internet search will turn up others.

These firms make claims to the effect their analysis can pick up on unusual wear signs etc. No idea how well this actually works in practice, but maybe there is some either peace of mind or not to be found in the information. Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts