Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after an autocross on Sunday, I noticed some chunks out of my tires... Didn't look too bad (it was getting dark) and I figured I could get home on the freeway because the structure of the tire didn't seem compromised.

As I got on the freeway, above 40-45 MPH, violent flapping noises and bumpiness started, so I took a 3 1/2 hour drive home on surface streets :(

When I got home I realized how bad this *one* tire got... it was disintegrating! These are the P-Zeros that came with the car, with 8000 miles, 9 autocrosses, and a 2 days performance driving school... The good ones would indicate that I should've had at least 25% more on them, and they didn't fall apart.

Check out the photos... pretty obvious which ones were good and which one was chunked.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
That how the P-Zero wears out. I like how the tires stick but the tire feathered and chucked leaves something to desire. If you had 9 autocrosses and 2 DE then that's a very good life for any tires.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm rather surprised that the other 3 (including both rears) look worn, but so much different... I saw the feathering before this, but, then all hell broke loose...

Here's my best lap that day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oVr3hGT_5E

And here's the one that I think was the final nail in the coffin... notice how much noise the car is making and how much understeer it has:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vd1S-D_sc5Q

Not great times, not great driving, though everything "felt" wrong, so, it's no wonder, I guess.

Reactions: qhb

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
It might be your driving. Does this ring a bell? I think you freaked out your passenger!!!

:hilarious:

15370060524_f9907e06f7_k.jpg

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It might be your driving. Does this ring a bell? I think you freaked out your passenger!!!

:hilarious:

View attachment 53732
that was my instructor! He got out after 2 laps, said he had nothing to teach me. LOL

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
One question--did you inspect these tires before the last event?
Just by looking at them, I'd be very surprised if this damage occurred at one event.

A rear tire,correct? I used to auto-x a lot and never saw that kind of damage to a rear tire; the fronts
usually get beat up more and on the edges.

While it is possible what you experienced was a defective tire getting torn up on the track--as evidenced by
the other 3 tires looking good, I wonder if it was something else. Have you had this car aligned since you bought it?
I'm not sure if a bad alignment will cause chunking but it will cause excessive wear especially on the outside edges.
It looks like the tread in spots is split and coming off the carcass.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I had my car pre-tech inspected before I went. Everything looked the same as the "good" tires.

This was a front tire, front-driver's side, to be exact.

The car does have the camber adjusted in front, though, again, the other front that would've taken most of the weight didn't have any issues.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It looks like a classic case of an overheated tyre. You say that it was 'the other side that took most of the weight', so was the track predominately left hand turns?
It was predominately right-hand turns. (LHD car)

·
Registered
670 Posts
What camera's & software are you using to get the PIP and data overlay?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right hand turns are going to transfer the weight to the lefthand side of the car which you identify as the problem tyre.
Aaah, yes...

These should've been able to handle 5 autocross laps, though, one would think...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What camera's & software are you using to get the PIP and data overlay?
My setup consists of the following:

• iPhone 5
    Harry's Laptimer Grand Prix Edition
    GoPoint Technology BT1A
    Dual XGPS 160
    GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition
I put everything together in RaceRender (Laptimer is OK for this, and I prefer the overlays, but getting the GoPro video overlaid at 60FPS isn't allowed on the iPhone 5.)

I just got an email from gopoint for discounts on the OBD devices:
SAVE $20 on BT1 use coupon code 20OFFBT1
SAVE $20 on BT1A us coupon code 20OFFBT1A

·
Registered
670 Posts
Thanks. I have Harry's and the same GoPro... Will look into the rest.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes they should be able to handle 5 laps no problem. You've given them a lot of previous use though so maybe this was the final straw.
I'm just really surprised that it all happened at once, and so dramatically.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
So have you shown them to Pirelli and asked if they can do anything for you since 1 of the 4 tires seems to have worn out prematurely? Did you check the construction date stamped on all 4 tires to see if they all match or if the 1 that wore out faster was maybe an older tire than the rest?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So have you shown them to Pirelli and asked if they can do anything for you since 1 of the 4 tires seems to have worn out prematurely? Did you check the construction date stamped on all 4 tires to see if they all match or if the 1 that wore out faster was maybe an older tire than the rest?
They're gone now... However, all four were the ones that came with the car, so I assume they'd've all had the same date.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
They're gone now... However, all four were the ones that came with the car, so I assume they'd've all had the same date.
Not necessarily true, I've seen dates 6months or more apart on new tires from the factory, I assume they buy in bulk and tires get mixed up at the factory at times or the end of some batch gets mixed with the beginning of the next, etc. Anyway was just something to check if you still had the tires....

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not necessarily true, I've seen dates 6months or more apart on new tires from the factory, I assume they buy in bulk and tires get mixed up at the factory at times or the end of some batch gets mixed with the beginning of the next, etc. Anyway was just something to check if you still had the tires....
Thanks for the concern... I'm hoping the PSSs will be pretty good, and more predictable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts