Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and didn't find anything on this. With the cooler weather I've had to use the defroster option, the button that directs all air flow to the windshield vents at max, when I've gotten a sudden buildup of fog inside the windows. I can't get anything but hot air to come out though. Even with the temperature setting on low it still comes out hot which makes the car too hot inside. Shouldn't the air be cooled by the air conditioner in the low setting and just remove the moisture to defrost? I do not have the Econ setting on when I do this. Pressing the defrost button overriedes everything. I'm checking the manual but haven't found it yet. When I use the directional arrow to the windshield I can control the temperature. I also have auto climate but the defrost mode overrides it I believe. Thanks -Jim

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
No, the auto defrost should blast out maximum HOT air to defrost the windscreen, not cold?

You should just have to press it once and it should automatically go to maximum heat and maximum fan settings.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
How would you be able to defrost ice on the outside of the windscreen blowing cold air at it? Well maybe if the air is cold but not ice cold I guess...but you are going to be sat there for 3 to 4 hours before the window clears?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It will only blast out hot air, I can't regulate the temperature. It seems its designed this way if that's what everyone's does. In my other cars with this feature I can regulate the temperature with the temperature setting and it still takes off the fog because the air conditioner blows dry air on the window. With the outside temperatuer in the upper 50's the car heats up very quickly with the defroster blast and then needs to be cooled down with the ac. I go through 2 spots on the drive to work where everything fogs up in a matter of seconds because of some weird air/moisture/temperature interplay. So I guess I'll just hit the blast, go back to auto to cool it down and back to the standard econ defrost manual setting or instead of hitting the defrost blast button up the fan speed and turn off econ in defrost mode right before I get to these spots. The defost blast button is like a blow dryer going off in the car and simply provides too much heat when tit's not freezing outside. There's nothing in the manual about the defrost button putting the temperature at a maximum heat setting but that's what it does. The same fog phenomon happens in these 2 spots with all my cars. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I found the same thing now that I have had to use the defrost several times. You have to keep turning it on and off as it just gets too hot in the car and once its off the windshield fogs up again. One thing you can do that I am doing now is to just turn down the fan. Once the window is clear I adjust the fan to very low speed and I don't get blasted out from the heat the the windshield stays clear.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The defroster button really seems to be suited for a critical need to defrost asap or get ice off the windshield as others have noted. Now I'm just directing the air to the windshield and keeping the air conditioning on, setting the temperature and I get no fogging which makes sense. Thanks for all of the replies.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
I actually turn down the heat after I hit the defrost button. It still does the job and you don't end up sweating bullets.

Yeah, when you hit the Defrost button it should automatically go to maximum heat and maximum power. However, you should be able to manually override both functions.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Does the hot air still come out with the A/C turned on? In my 996 and previous Boxster, if you depress the button for defrost it would blast hot air irrespective of the temperature setting, however, if you had the A/C set and the temperature set to Low it would send cold air.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I wasn't going from AC to Defrost. I was going from Econ with air directed to the windshield to Defrost. The panel does show the AC snow flake like icon that should mean AC is on in Defrost mode though. I'll try going from auto climate with AC on to Defrost and see what happens. Thanks for the tip. -Jim

·
Registered
381 Posts
You know now that I think about it hot air may still come out in the 996 with the combo of the defrost, Low and snowflake... I will have to check on the way home.

However, I do know that a work around is to simply use the upper dash vents from the Auto setting. In other words if you have the auto setting on and have the temperature at what you want you can simply hit the upper dash vent selection to direct all the air up there. It does not change the temperature and/or the fan speed though.

IMO the climate control module/system that Porsche uses is absolute crap. I hate the factory auto setting in almost all conditions (except heat in the winter). I end up over riding it and manually setting things the way I want. For example in the summer the auto setting pushes too much cool air out the upper dash vents and condensation forms on the outside of the front windshield. I end up hitting the snow flake button, setting the temp and then using the dash vent button. Solves the problem but does not provide any auto climate control features.

Edited by - bet on 09/29/2006 1:20:31 PM

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm going to bump this thread...

I have been having a problem here in Miami, as you know it's very humid and the AC has to be on all the time. I'm having a problem on my windshield, basically it gets very foggy and the only way to clear it is by turning on the wipers and then 2 seconds later it builds up again. I've never had this problem in my other cars but generally if the windows get foggy, you defrost it with cold air when its hot outdoors. There lies the problem - when it only has hot air that comes out of the defroster. I don't have auto climate control which is really making me angry that Porsche would allow someone to spend $60,000 and not give a standard feature my honda has...

Anyway, is anyone else experencing this and if so is there anyway to prevent the windows from fogging up, it's making me mental!!!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Foggy windshield

Yes, I've experienced it. It is caused by the cold air coming out of the defroster vents, makes the windshield cold, and causes the highly humid air outside to condense on the windshield. Then you need the wipers to clear it.

Only solution I've found is to push the button that causes all the air to come out of the face vents. That shuts off the air to the defroster vents. I have the climate control.

It is strange that they would direct cold air to the windshield all the time in the summer as this is a well known side affect.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm going to bump this thread...

I have been having a problem here in Miami, as you know it's very humid and the AC has to be on all the time. I'm having a problem on my windshield, basically it gets very foggy and the only way to clear it is by turning on the wipers and then 2 seconds later it builds up again. I've never had this problem in my other cars but generally if the windows get foggy, you defrost it with cold air when its hot outdoors. There lies the problem - when it only has hot air that comes out of the defroster. I don't have auto climate control which is really making me angry that Porsche would allow someone to spend $60,000 and not give a standard feature my honda has...

Anyway, is anyone else experencing this and if so is there anyway to prevent the windows from fogging up, it's making me mental!!!
This is a horrible problem with the auto climate control. It is the reason why I would not (and did not) get a Cayman with the auto climate control (why pay $500+ for something you will manually over-ride a majority of the time). That being said, you indicated you don't have auto climate control, which means you have to choose the vents (except in the Max AC setting - which by the way sends air to the dash vent...see below why this is bad).

The simple solution to your woos is to make sure the vent selection does not include the upper dash vents. The cool air from top dash vents eventually cools the windshield sufficiently to cause condensation in hot humid climates to form on the outside and as you have experienced once started will reappear almost instantly after using the wipers. The "defrost" setting does not help with this problem (except if warm whereby it can warm the glass to prevent the condensation but it will bake you out of the car) and and in fact can make it worse if you set it so the defrost is cold.

When using Max AC let the system do what it does to take the heat out of the car then manually set it so that the top dash vents are not being used. Once you figure out what the system is doing the mental anguish starts to dissipate a little.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did a search and didn't find anything on this. With the cooler weather I've had to use the defroster option, the button that directs all air flow to the windshield vents at max, when I've gotten a sudden buildup of fog inside the windows. I can't get anything but hot air to come out though. Even with the temperature setting on low it still comes out hot which makes the car too hot inside. Shouldn't the air be cooled by the air conditioner in the low setting and just remove the moisture to defrost? I do not have the Econ setting on when I do this. Pressing the defrost button overriedes everything. I'm checking the manual but haven't found it yet. When I use the directional arrow to the windshield I can control the temperature. I also have auto climate but the defrost mode overrides it I believe. Thanks -Jim
I really love my Cayman gts but the defrost drives me crazy and I really can’t believe that Porsche has such a not thought out design fail. It get’s unbelievably hot and I have to open the window so that I can breathe when the windows are all fogged up. Then I get all fugged up from the hot air. It would be nice if the driver had the option to control the power of the defrost just like on AC. Kinda stupid for an otherwise fabtabulous car

·
Registered
70 Posts
First German car?

Actually you do have that magic power. Don't press the defrost button. Press the button that directs air at the windshield (the arrow points up), then adjust air velocity and temperature to whatever you desire.

Their idea (and all German cars actually) of defrosting is more like lets clear the windshield as fast as possible, and if there is ice covering the windshield, let's melt that too. I rather like it - I never have to let it run for more than about 60-90 seconds. If it takes longer for yours to clear the fog off the inside of the windshield, it's very likely you have a puddle of water under one of the seats due to plugged cowl drains.

You might want to get on that since the plugged drain can be very expensive when the electronics located under the seats start shorting out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts