Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This process used to be obvious, but now since we are on the new format I cannot find this function?

Any guidance or is it gone?

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
Also how do you edit a post after you did it. I don't see anything for that either.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The edit function is hiding in plain site right in front of our noses, but I had a hard time finding it at first as well. Just to the right of your avatar is the post # and how log ago you made it. There should be an EDIT function sitting to the right of the time-stamp on any post you made.

This is the only forum I have ever visited on any subject over the years that allowed the user base to delete post. Most want to keep all comments somewhere for legal reasons, so it wouldn't surprise me if that function is no longer here on this new format.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
thanks; there yet invisible

·
Administrator
2,542 Posts
You should be able to edit your post for up to 24 hours. Near the timestamp at the top of the post, you should see an edit link if it is within that time limit. After 24 hours you would need to reach out to a mod/admin for assistance.

Only moderators and admins are able to delete a post, as needed, for situations such as a duplicate post.

If a thread is deleted, it then deletes all the responses and thus other people’s posts too. Or, when deleting a post, people may respond. Then, if you delete one post, the following posts will not make sense - because one is missing it, it destroys the understanding and flow.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
You should be able to edit your post for up to 24 hours. Near the timestamp at the top of the post, you should see an edit link if it is within that time limit. After 24 hours you would need to reach out to a mod/admin for assistance.

Only moderators and admins are able to delete a post, as needed, for situations such as a duplicate post.

If a thread is deleted, it then deletes all the responses and thus other people’s posts too. Or, when deleting a post, people may respond. Then, if you delete one post, the following posts will not make sense - because one is missing it, it destroys the understanding and flow.

- Cricket
24 hours is a really short editing window. All other forums I frequent are typically around two weeks before they get locked down. For example its quite common for me to read a post I made a day or so ago and realize there is a silly typo or auto correct in it due to post from a mobile device, or something I simply missed.

Also, what happens with a classified thread? Do I contact admin to change my price if something doesnt sell quickly or to change my thread title to SOLD because it locked down after such a short period of time?

Editing needs to be available to the user for far longer than 24 hours otherwise it will be a nuisance and create extra work for the mods

·
Administrator
2,542 Posts
24 hours is a really short editing window. All other forums I frequent are typically around two weeks before they get locked down. For example its quite common for me to read a post I made a day or so ago and realize there is a silly typo or auto correct in it due to post from a mobile device, or something I simply missed.

Also, what happens with a classified thread? Do I contact admin to change my price if something doesnt sell quickly or to change my thread title to SOLD because it locked down after such a short period of time?

Editing needs to be available to the user for far longer than 24 hours otherwise it will be a nuisance and create extra work for the mods
Most of the forums that I work with have a 30 minute to 4-hour window. ;)

Classifieds should already have unlimited editing. If they don't please let me know.

- Cricket

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Most of the forums that I work with have a 30 minute to 4-hour window. ;)

Classifieds should already have unlimited editing. If they don't please let me know.

- Cricket
That may be, but realize that no such limit was ever on THIS forum prior to the new format change so you must be new here;) I routinely edited or deleted post that were weeks old if not more on the previous format. I get that this software is a departure from the previous so certain functions may change completely, but just warning you that you guys might be getting a lot of extra and unnecessary "why cant I" messages or complaints with such a short editing window, so I formally request that this time be extended if in your control (and it should be). What issue could it possibly cause by doing so?

·
Administrator
2,542 Posts
That may be, but realize that no such limit was ever on THIS forum prior to the new format change so you must be new here;) I routinely edited or deleted post that were weeks old if not more on the previous format. I get that this software is a departure from the previous so certain functions may change completely, but just warning you that you guys might be getting a lot of extra and unnecessary "why cant I" messages or complaints with such a short editing window, so I formally request that this time be extended if in your control (and it should be). What issue could it possibly cause by doing so?
@ICNU

Yes, this is a new expected action with this new software at this time.

Time limits are used in order to preserve useful thread content, while also protecting the forum against spam. We have formulated the current times in a way to best prevent thread confusion and time gaps left vulnerable to spam.

If you have a thread that requires editing after the time limit is up, there is still hope! Contact one of the forum mods by the “Report” feature and they will gladly assist.

Jeff M

1 - 9 of 9 Posts