Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go buy one from google shopping are there any UK suppliers on here that can beat £370??

Would prefer tobuy from a sponsor, but pricing will have a big say!

Thanks!

coanda

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have been specific - I'd prefer IN the UK, as I suspect there will be less warranty issues (but would like to be pleasantly surprised about that!) and because I'd like to fit it over the Christmas holidays - so, within 2 weeks.

If there is someone in the US who can ship over in that time for a competitive price (I'll add shipping into that cost), and there will still be some sort of useful warranty, I'm open to the idea.

Thanks

coanda

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Sorry, I should have been specific - I'd prefer IN the UK, as I suspect there will be less warranty issues (but would like to be pleasantly surprised about that!) and because I'd like to fit it over the Christmas holidays - so, within 2 weeks.

If there is someone in the US who can ship over in that time for a competitive price (I'll add shipping into that cost), and there will still be some sort of useful warranty, I'm open to the idea.

Thanks

coanda
I would check with Eric at BumperPlugs.com, let him know you got the referral from here and he can tell you whether it can be done within your time and budget constraints.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I'm not sure about the conversion rates, but 370 GBP probably would be much more than the $480 Eric sells the Dension for!

·
Registered
57 Posts
To be honest i would not bother importing it from the US unless you can't get it in the UK.
$480 is around £300 and with shipping and the vat/import taxes you will pay It will probably cost you more to import one from the US than you can get one here.
It will probably take longer to arrive from the US and like you have already stated, warranty issues could be a nightmare.

From painful experience I now would not buy in from the states unless its something that you can't get in the UK or Europe.
Or it would have to be so cheap from the states that it made it worthwhile and with the exchange rate the way it is now
the heady days of $2+ to the pound are long gone and with no immediate return in sight due to the UK economy being completely screwed

hope this helps

mark

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys - just checking out cost of shipping with BumperPlugs. If that exceeds the cost of the one I've seen from the UK then I'll go for the UK one.

Cheers

Coanda

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thanks guys - just checking out cost of shipping with BumperPlugs. If that exceeds the cost of the one I've seen from the UK then I'll go for the UK one.

Cheers

Coanda
do remember what ever bumper plugs quote you there be addition charges from customs here when it arrives that bumper plugs cant quote you. unless of course you get bumper plugs to mark the item value as less than $25 or mark it as a gift, either of these won't attract custom charges, which believe me can be substantial as they seem to make it up as they go along.

UK customs usually seem to go off the packages insured value, so if the sender sent it with upto $500 insurance but if the items only worth $200 you will pay charges as if its worth $500

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After considering shipping costs and warranty risk I've decided to go for one in the UK - hopefully here in a few days.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
128 Posts
After considering shipping costs and warranty risk I've decided to go for one in the UK - hopefully here in a few days.

Thanks for the help.
You've made the right decision. Not sure you'd find anyone in the UK to beat £370 (assuming you're talking iPod Car Kit Direct). I ordered from the US very recently and was stiffed with heavy VAT, import and admin charges. Eventually it took the edge off the whole thing.

You'll probably find you want some add-ons by the time you've bought the basic unit. Depending on whether you need phone functionality you may want the bluetooth adapter, also an iPod adapter will push up the cost.

I installed mine last week, with everything working well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got it from Car Audio Centre. I'll let you know how it goes - to be honest the package they sent makes it look like it was bought by someone else who decided they didn't want it. It is also missing the install guide (no biggy as its on the net but...not the point). So I just hope it works and it isn't a duff unit.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Sorry to hear it seemed secondhand.

It's not difficult to fit. The longest time is spent patching it in to the fibre loop. Additionally if you're using the bluetooth adapter and you have the telephone module on your PCM, I found you need this re-coded as well as coding-in a CD changer if you don't have one. The instructions are not that brilliant on the finer detail or at least it's not all in one place.

If you need any info, let me know.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I installed it today - I'll be doing an article in the near future as I haven't seen a RHD install let alone a RHD + PCM + CDC + Nav written up on the net so it may be useful.

It all works fine. The only downside at the moment is that it is just displaying track numbers at not names, neither is it showing playlist names, albums etc. Is this the way it is?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Glad you got it done. Could the track info be down to the way the MP3s are tagged? The info should appear if it was ripped to include it in all the files.

How difficult did you find it? I just found it slightly time consuming, also I did it a couple of weeks ago on a day that was absolutely freezing.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh yes, its got all the track info as it is synced to my pc and most of my music (nearly all!) is from itunes....so its all in the ipod, but it doesn't seem to be being picked up properly by the unit. I think this is because of the changes to the ipod OS for the iphone and the itouch. I've got an old 2gb nano so will try that with the same playlist.

It took a little while, mainly because I spend as much time thinking as doing - lots of time looking at posts and articles on the net. Lots of time taking the frunk interior out and figuring out how the cdc/nav shelves came out and how that assembly would go back in. I also spent time making sure my power leads were going to stay put - I used some maplins power tap type plugs which appear to be solderless but ended up soldering the power lead in to make sure it would not come loose.

Essentially, it took too long but I think I've got a decent install - so that is what counts!

Will be back with the results of the nano test tomorrow evening.

coanda

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Well, I installed it today - I'll be doing an article in the near future as I haven't seen a RHD install let alone a RHD + PCM + CDC + Nav written up on the net so it may be useful.

It all works fine. The only downside at the moment is that it is just displaying track numbers at not names, neither is it showing playlist names, albums etc. Is this the way it is?
You need to configure this... Obviously you only skimmed the manual :D. That's how its done (If you have PCM):

1. While the iPod is playing, toggle the switch on the RCA part 6 times, as in up-down-up-down-up-down in quick succession.
2. The music will stop and you will enter a cfgdev menu
3. Select track 6 (+Select) and long press the fast forward button (the little arrow on the bottom right of the number pad) till it reverts to iPod.
4. You should have ID3 tags now!

·
Registered
128 Posts
You're quite right, I did only skim the manual and have yet to work out how to switch easily between albums using the USB Stick.

Thanks for the instructions, I can remember seeing them somewhere but weren't relevant because I don't have an iPod and don't really plan to use my iPhone. I don't spend my life with my MP3 player stuck in my ears and so leaving my music on a massive USB stick in the car seems to suit me better. Also, I would have to remember to carry the music with me all the time. I do have the iPod interface so I may connect my iPhone at some stage to see how it works.

Everyone works in different ways, but I have a Creative MP3 that I find sounds miles better than an iPod.

Don't know whether you found this, but the instructions (by necessity I guess) are very generic in part to suit all the other cars.

I don't see the point in that accessory part with the RCA connectors unless
a) you need to connect another video device
b) need to disable the Dension for servicing.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
You're quite right, I did only skim the manual and have yet to work out how to switch easily between albums using the USB Stick.

Thanks for the instructions, I can remember seeing them somewhere but weren't relevant because I don't have an iPod and don't really plan to use my iPhone. I don't spend my life with my MP3 player stuck in my ears and so leaving my music on a massive USB stick in the car seems to suit me better. Also, I would have to remember to carry the music with me all the time. I do have the iPod interface so I may connect my iPhone at some stage to see how it works.

Everyone works in different ways, but I have a Creative MP3 that I find sounds miles better than an iPod.

Don't know whether you found this, but the instructions (by necessity I guess) are very generic in part to suit all the other cars.

I don't see the point in that accessory part with the RCA connectors unless
a) you need to connect another video device
b) need to disable the Dension for servicing.

Cheers,
First off, these might help, check the attached file, there is another 2.2MB file that has everything there is about the unit (well, kinda :p), but I cant upload it here due to size. If you want I could email it to you!

Secondly, you do need to configure text display even if you dont plan to use your iPod/iPhone. To do so you NEED to plug the iPhone and start playing any music from it in order to configure text display.

And you are quite right about the instructions, it took me and my father two hours to put the pieces from the "sluggish" manual, Ken's and browncf's articles, Eric's suggestions and some common sense to get everything working.

The RCA part is for connecting a stereo AUX input to the GW, why they have made it to control the device and not something you can leave out, is beyond me!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Nitro, I've sent you a message.

Thanks for the advice. The difficulty I'm having at the moment in selecting individual Albums on the USB stick. I can sort of get it to work but think I only stumble on the process by accident. I can't believe this is the way it works in practice, but I scan the Folders and then somehow select the one I want. Once the one I need is displayed I can see the number of tracks for that album listed.

There has to be a better way than this because I need to do the same thing every time. Is there a quick way of selecting the Album from a list? I can use the Track List but when I select the CD List it merely displays the last selected Album.

I'd assumed I did not need to configure text display because I can already see the Album and Track details without doing that.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The file is probably the same you talk about since Eric is the one who sent it as well. It is the tech manual, however I sent it to you at your email just in case!

About selecting folders from a USB device, I cant say for sure since I havent tried it, although I do plan on doing it later today and will report back my findings. It "may" be the case that you need to configure the device before everything runs correctly, just try it and you wont lose anything!

However, what I can tell you from my limited experience with iPod control is:
  • You can use the "CD List" to scan playlists, etc... So I'm guessing it would be the same with USB.
  • If not, there is another way I discovered yesterday, Select "CD list" -> Menu -> You will then have many browsing options, choose any and see if you can navigate from there, note that navigation is be long pressing FF button for confirm, and long pressing REW button for back. Not by pressing the wheel or the button on the MF steering wheel.
  • If I remember correctly, you can use m3u playlists on USB devices.

Let me know how it goes, I will get back to you when I've tried myself!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts