Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm putting down my deposit next week for a 2018 Boxster... who hoo!

What should I expect from the process? Is there any paperwork involved other than a receipt?

It's my first Porsche order and I'm feeling paranoid that I'll forget something...

Thanks!
Fliz

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Presume you have been on the configurator and have a code for your desired color, options list etc. Bring that with you. If it is a firm allocation there will be a commission number- ask them for that. Also ask for a print out of the Porsche Sales and Vehicle Management System. This will show various dates for the build including shipping and dealer inventory date. Note the date for V250 which is when the spec is locked. Good luck!

Reactions: fliz and oz4me

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
Keep a copy of your deposit check and receipt... and bring it with you when you complete the purchase on delivery. My dealer finance guy "forgot" to include my deposit in the purchase paperwork... he was a bit embarrassed when I called him on it with copies.. I do NOT think that they were trying anything dishonest... but things do get hectic on check out day..
D

·
Registered
257 Posts
You'll be asked to sign a sales agreement - make sure that everything you want on the car is spelled out on that agreement. If you are trading in a car, make sure that the trade-in price is on the agreement. You should ask for a discount and 5% is reasonable. Also, you are leaving a deposit, they may ask for 10%, I would tell them you would prefer 5% and have them write that it is fully refundable. Also make sure you understand any of the extras they throw on to the order (delivery, motor vehicle, and any BS fees for their paperwork). Are you financing, leasing or paying cash?

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Not to cast any doubt but I think if what you order is generally easy to sell (no particularly weird color combos as an example) much higher correlation to getting a deposit back. I recall a thread a year or two ago where a person had a problem with return but what he ordered was really odd and would probably sit on the lot for a long time.......I would get return of deposit in writing....if at all possible.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
The sales associate told me that I would get my deposit back.
Yeah, I picked mine up yesterday and the finance guy said they shred all of the deposit checks.
That didn't happen when I bought a 981 in 2013; the deposits I made with check and credit card were both applied to the purchase.
I placed a custom order today. My dealer required a deposit. They wanted $5k. I agreed to $2,500.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
thats a really good deal. I did not end up negotiating my deposit and ended up putting a $10K deposit.
Wow, that’s pretty steep. I wasn’t even thrilled putting down $2,500. When I ordered my Range Rocer I only put down $1k. What did you get for a discount off MSRP? I ended up getting 7.25%.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I clearly didn't negotiate correctly :(. I ended up with 5%, ordered in Sept. should be getting delivered in the next 20 days hopefully.

It was my first time ordering a car so had no idea what to do. Played by ear and feel like I sort of got screwed. On the flip side my car was worth $66K so not the most expensive builds.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
I clearly didn't negotiate correctly :(. I ended up with 5%, ordered in Sept. should be getting delivered in the next 20 days hopefully.

It was my first time ordering a car so had no idea what to do. Played by ear and feel like I sort of got screwed. On the flip side my car was worth $66K so not the most expensive builds.
Don't beat yourself up. 5% where you live (warmer state) may be good. In CT, where the snow is coming soon, dealers need to discount more to move warm weather cars this time of year.

·
Registered
268 Posts
As far as the deposit is concerned--if you're going to buy the car, it's a non-issue.

Discounts--dealers need to survive and show a profit to stay in business. When you screw them down to the last dollar you also make it hard for them to help you out for free later, or for them to provide service/spare parts at reasonable prices.

My dealer (the only one for 800 Km!) doesn't discount much at all but gave me $1000's of freebies, supports the local Porsche club, and actually ENCOURAGES warranty claims for ANY issues. I get special invites to get-togethers and new product launches with fine wines and great food. Sure it's good PR, it's also good for me.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts

You did fine. 5% is very reasonable on an ordered car.

OP: For a benchmark, I put down zero deposits for my 981 and 991.2. Large dealership. No prior relationship with the dealer on the 981 - I was just a guy off the street who walked in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.