Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What words could describe your experience in driving your Cayman? What feelings are in your mind when you get in, start the engine and go?

The best part is driving on backroads, in the mountains, along the coast or on the track. I feel part of the car and completely in control. The adrenaline starts to flow and I'm starting to enjoying life again, forgetting the mudane worries. I'm relaxed too. The Porsche is kind of a relaxing pill. It's addictive.

There are very few automobiles that make me feel like that. It's not only a transportation appliance, a toaster on wheels.

Of course, driving in bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway is not a time to describe your feelings. Traffic causes stress, anxiety and nervousness which goes with any car, not a Porsche.

So....what's your feelings? We'd like to know!:cheers:

--Hal

·
Registered
100 Posts
For me it is exciting and rewarding. I don't drive my car every day so it is always a special occasion. Getting in, turning the key. Soaking in the interior and the sound.

Feeling the precision of the steering and while not always using the power of the engine but simply knowing that it is there is what does it for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love to kick it in the *** whenever I can but the thrill and adrenaline rush must be metered out in fine incremements.

I don't want the neighbors to say "That guy in that yellow Porsche is speeding through my neighborhood again". You have to pick your places and your times for winding it out.

But like I said, knowing that it is there, and when I am not driving it, I like to look at it. Just to see it in the driveway makes my happy.

·
Registered
721 Posts
My first thought is "I am a luky guy". To me, driving the CS is reguvenating, I feel like I did when I got my first car at age 17. On the road, driving the CS ia a pleasant experience, I feel relaxed. I enjoy every axpect of driving it. At an AutoX it makes me feel capable (more than I really am), on the highway it feels great, in stop and go traffic I enjoy the sport seats, the interior, the solid feeling and going through the gears. It is just a pleasant reguvenating experience all around. Enough, I got to go for a drive.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It definitely recharges my batteries when I drive my Sally! We only hang out in good weather and in the hill country......we don't like socializing with inner-city stuff....to many potholes and too many envious stares. Kinda' like walking in a room with a hot-looking lady!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Feelings? Mixed, but am OK with that. After less than a month of ownership, it is clear the car is not ideally suited to the San Francisco bay area roads and traffic I encounter most of the time I drive it. Paranoia over recklessly driven SUVs, broken pavement flipping up rocks, debris on the horribly rough roads, big dips threatening the nose of the car, etc., all conspire to make it not as enjoyable in those environments as I would like.

I just LOVE the engine sound, the exotic feel of it, the obvious precision that seems to ooze from every pore of the car. No question, this car is well built. It is hard to believe sometimes this car is actually mine, one of the finest sports cars in the world. I feel good about myself, my achievements, making it possible to own this car.

Without a doubt, the full enjoyment of the car will only really manifest itself in a better environment, which thankfully, is not really that far away. Like my sport motorcycle, I just have to travel a while to find roads which are nirvana for the Cayman and I. I am really looking forward to this!

- Phil

·
Registered
77 Posts
The car reminds me a lot of my first Porsche - an 84 911. My Cayman is a basic car without a lot of options that take away (to me) the sports car look and feel. I actually have to switch on the lights, I shift through the gears, and of course put the key in the left side of the steering column before each drive. I bought my car to drive. It will see rain, get dirty and may get caught in some sleet or snow. It will not be a garage queen. If I need to find out where I am going, I will use a map. I love the sound of the flat 6 - there is nothing else like it. Didn’t someone say “there is no substitute”?

All of this in a modern package with a fit and finish that is without compare and what I think is the best looking body style on the road. I am also thankful for my good fortune in being able to own such a car and live in a great place to drive it (E. TN).

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Most of everything that has been said above. However I'm a little disappointed I don't get to see the exterior while driving. I put a lot of effort into detailing it and am in the cabin. :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
Most of everything that has been said above. However I'm a little disappointed I don't get to see the exterior while driving. I put a lot of effort into detailing it and am in the cabin. :(
I feel that exact way.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have always loved to drive. It doesn't matter what conveyance I use. I like to find the fun and challenge of driving each well. That is until I bought the Cayman. This car has brought a whole new and better love of driving. The communication between car and driver is incredible. Think a slight left turn for readjustment and it does it. It does what you ask when you ask. It tells you, softly at first, when you are asking too much. If you didn't hear, it will tell you again, but a little louder. If your ham fisted hands and slow reactin brain still ain't got the message. well then it says..Ha HA..told you so and away you go. That's honest communication. That's my feeling about driving a Cayman.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
i,m old...i first look and see if i gadda put gas in it

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have owned a bunch of different cars, many have been good or even great in some way, but the Cayman S is the best package ever!

The only car that comes close as an overall fun driving package was my 2004 S2000. Mine is a daily driver, in the Chicago suburbs and it's been fantastic.

I leave the door open when I start it to better hear the motor. I plan @50% of the corners I turn to feel the g's I can max. I brake late frequently just to feel the anchor drop. The CS does this everytime, predictably, safely and willingly. The CS just makes a car person smile.

A big thanks to my wife for indulging my car "problem". She likes the CS too, and appreciates what it can do.

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
What words could describe your experience in driving your Cayman? What feelings are in your mind when you get in, start the engine and go?

The best part is driving on backroads, in the mountains, along the coast or on the track. I feel part of the car and completely in control. The adrenaline starts to flow and I'm starting to enjoying life again, forgetting the mudane worries. I'm relaxed too. The Porsche is kind of a relaxing pill. It's addictive.

There are very few automobiles that make me feel like that. It's not only a transportation appliance, a toaster on wheels.

Of course, driving in bumper to bumper traffic on the freeway is not a time to describe your feelings. Traffic causes stress, anxiety and nervousness which goes with any car, not a Porsche.

So....what's your feelings? We'd like to know!:cheers:

--Hal
"We would like to know". Who are you? Are you using P9 as some kind of marketing tool? I'm sincerely concerned.My intent is not too flame on this or P you off,but it seems that you ask alot of questions.Thanks...:cheers:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"We would like to know". Who are you? Are you using P9 as some kind of marketing tool? I'm sincerely concerned.My intent is not too flame on this or P you off,but it seems that you ask alot of questions.Thanks...:cheers:
Reminds me of a WHO song in the sixties "Who are you...who...who..?"
Sorry that I got you concerned, but my wording poorly placed. I should have said *I* want to know! Not "we".

*I* would think it be interesting to find other Cayman owner's thoughts and to compared to mine. Of course, my thoughts are always positive. I love driving this car!

So far, the comments are very interesting. I'm not interested in "just driving and modding", but also the inner human feelings too. Owning a CS is not just the technical side, there is the human side too. Like reactions with others, as well as ourselves.

No, I'm not a marketing tool. I'm benign.

So keep up the posts. This thread is very enjoyable to read.

--Hal

·
Registered
675 Posts
blissful...and grateful

·
Registered
874 Posts
Some interesting points here. I spend more time than I would like in traffic, but spending time in traffic is more fun in a Cayman than it was in a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

A few times I have touched that perfect road on a perfect day in my Cayman and the memories I carry of those times is part of what makes life worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Depends on the day and circumstances. Lots of days I enjoy the view of the West Passage of Narragansett Bay from the Jamestown Bridge. And approaching Newport harbor when a cruise ship is in and a bunch of 12s are sailing (better yet and really rare, a J class or two) or cruising Ocean Drive or driving on a crisp sunny October day at 45 degrees with the seat heater on high and the windows down or taking some western RI / eastern CT back roads - even if those will make ya pee blood if you don't see the bad frost heaves....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.