Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - Have had a 3.4 987.1 boxster for a few weeks and want to start fiddling with it...

I'm thinking of doing headers as this seems to liberate some extra power with a little extra noise and no Max Power drone. Looking at FabSpeed, Supersprint, FVD et al they all run around £1500 (I'm in the UK) Then theres Design911 own brand DesignTek which are £450 so my questions are
1) Anyone have experience with any of their stuff?
2) As long as they fit can they really be 3x worse than the premium brands?
3) Any observations/advice about doing headers and then a reflash rather than starting elsewhere with mild tuning?

Thanks y'all

Exhaust Manifold / Header with Catalyst Bypass for Porsche Boxster 987/ Cayman DesignTek - 3606109875 | Design 911

·
Registered
13 Posts
Design looks half way decent on those headers but half of the welds in the picture are burnt (stainless weld should never be a dark grey. If it happens in industry they scrap the entire part and start over)

They also are not using a merge bullet (inferring from the position of the upstream O2)

They also should have used a J pipe for the downstream O2 seeing as there is no cat. (will help prevent codes) - of course you can also program the ECU to not trigger a P0421 (or similar) for the cat not being efficient (seeing as it's not there...)

I'm building my own headers (granted with cats) but even if they were cat-less I could not make them for that price.

I also have billet merge flanges and formed collectors and name-brand sourced stainless tubing to make sure everything is top-notch.

Going to cost me ~$1200 (~$780 GBP) Just in materials to make the full exhaust ( vibrant mufflers, custom CNC head flanges, formed collectors, Vibrant V-band flanges, custom tips, vibrant mandrel bent tubing, magnaflow 4" cat, etc etc. )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the details buddy - guess I'll hold fire until I can stump up for a quality piece.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good move... I tried an unknown cheaper catback exhaust. That a waste of money was the epitome of "You get what you pay for!"

·
Registered
317 Posts
I installed the NHP Race Headers from Maxspeed Motorsports 5.5 years ago on my 2006 Boxster S—they can be found here 2005-2008 Porsche 987 Boxster Cayman NHP Race Headers - Maxspeed-Motorsports They sell for $900. Maxspeed has other headers too, as you will discover if you visit their web site, but these are the least expensive.

The service I received from Maxspeed was excellent, the fit of the headers was spot on, and I have not had any problems with them either. They do not produce any drone at any engine speed when coupled with the stock muffler section. The exhaust note is close to stock with light applications of the go pedal, but is a nice and aggressive Porsche note when you push the car hard. As you might be able to tell, I am really pleased with them. I also flashed the ECU with the FVD tune at the same time.

Hope this helps you out some.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts