Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the article for this and then went to try and remove the faceplate to get to the black piece.....after 40 minutes, sore fingers and a couple of small paint scratches (from the screwdriver going through the microfiber towel) I am ready to give up.
Last week I changed the oil and flushed the brakes and clutch without a hitch and this seemingly easy mod evades me.
I don't want to break the plastic faceplate and have gone at it from the top, the sides and the bottom. Seems I can get the top part loose but everything else is solid and I can't see how to get to the rest of the clips let alone the bottom one.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I read the article for this and then went to try and remove the faceplate to get to the black piece.....after 40 minutes, sore fingers and a couple of small paint scratches (from the screwdriver going through the microfiber towel) I am ready to give up.
Last week I changed the oil and flushed the brakes and clutch without a hitch and this seemingly easy mod evades me.
I don't want to break the plastic faceplate and have gone at it from the top, the sides and the bottom. Seems I can get the top part loose but everything else is solid and I can't see how to get to the rest of the clips let alone the bottom one.
Any ideas?
try to use a flashlight and look closely to locate the clips, i don't think you put the screwdriver in the right place. the outside piece needs to come off first, and then the inside black piece.

this is Kman's pic , it comes out easily for me when i pop the 3 clips that marked in the 3 red circle.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,769 Posts
My special tool for Boxster vent removal is a computer card slot cover. You can get it behind the vents and insert the 1/4 inch lip in at the top, then you can pull the vent away from the tab.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here are a couple pictures from a writeup I am working on. This first photo compares the Boxster & Cayman Vent Frames on the left side.

IMO the most difficult aspect of removing the left side Boxster Vent is releasing the 2 tabs in the center of the Vent Frame. Like everything, it will seem easy once you have done it.

More photos, like the one below, can be found in my Fotki here: http://public.fotki.com/BlueTTop/2008-porsche-boxste/side-vents-modified/

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Blue TTop!
I actually succeeded in doing this little mod last night.
It's true, the middle tabs are a PITA!! But once they coome off it's pretty straight forward, although a little daunting to get the bottom off as you basically have to pull and bend until it 'pops' off with a jerk!

Not sure if I really hear much difference in the noise, but was a fun little project! I have to admit that that the plastic part that is removed MUST restrict air flow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts