Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Filed under: Detroit Auto Show, SUV, Jeep, Specialty, Off-Road

2010 Jeep Wrangler Islander - Click above for high-res image gallery

Few cars are as iconic as the Jeep Wrangler, a vehicle that can trace its heritage directly back to General Patton storming the Third Army up to Messina. Maybe a Porsche 911, maybe. Mini? Not really. Harley-Davidson is probably the closest, but they only have two wheels and aren't cars. The reason we're harping on this heritage angle is that after a twenty-year absence, Jeep's bringing back the Islander. Having grown up in Southern California and spent many a summer bumming around the beach, the Islander brings back many happy memories.

Obviously, the Jeep Wrangler Islander is beach themed. Also, water is wet. That said, you get a tropical "Tiki Bob" decal planted next to the coordinates 21° North and 157° West. That's Honolulu for you non-gazatteer types. Similar to most old YJ-based Islanders, this version is painted ocean-blue - Surf Blue Pearl Coat if you want to get specific. You can also get the Islander in white, silver or black, but why? You also get some interior touches, like seats with Surf Blue inserts and another Tiki Bob, this time embroidered into the back seat. All that beach themed fun can be yours for just $1,120 over sticker.

Jeep also showed us the Wrangler Mountain. Long story made real short, the Mountain is the Islander with different stickers, a painted grille and no heritage/nostalgic childhood memories. There's also an odd, flat-black hunk of plastic covering most of the hood that we're scratching our heads over. And... any questions? The cost of entry is $1,820. Oh, and the degrees on the Mountain's decal are 27° South, 88° West. We'll let you figure out where in the world that is. Have fun!

Gallery: Detroit: Jeep Wrangler Mountain and Islander Editions

[Source: Jeep]Detroit 2010: Jeep Wrangler Islander and Mountain fill out the range originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 12 Jan 2010 13:01:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Cool,
I think that is some mountain in the Andes, maybe Ojos del Salado?
Best I could tell that location is out in the Pacific, not close to the Salty Eyes.

BTW, the Jeep altitude record was broken after only a few months by some Chileans driving a modded Samurai.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Best I could tell that location is out in the Pacific, not close to the Salty Eyes.

BTW, the Jeep altitude record was broken after only a few months by some Chileans driving a modded Samurai.
I think they posted a correction as to the location of the coordinates for the mountain version. What was unclear to me was whether or not anything is different on the Mountain version besides the flat black patch on the hood and the side rails and decals, so $2K seems a bit steep for that.

Yep read the Mountain decal in that one photo and it is clearly 27 degrees South by 68 degrees West. If you look up Salty Eyes on Wikipedia here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ojos_del_Salado

Note that they give the coordinates as 27°06′34.6″S 68°32′32.1″W / 27.109611°S 68.54225°W / -27.109611; -68.54225 so I suspect that 27 S 68 W is indeed a reference to this peak and the German team that set a record with a Jeep of course later to be broken by a highly modified Samurai.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think they posted a correction as to the location of the coordinates for the mountain version. What was unclear to me was whether or not anything is different on the Mountain version besides the flat black patch on the hood and the side rails and decals, so $2K seems a bit steep for that.
Funny how 20 degrees of longitude can make such a big difference!

As for appearance packages, I'd rather see the return of the Golden Eagle or the Levi's Edition. Oh well.:(

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Funny how 20 degrees of longitude can make such a big difference!

As for appearance packages, I'd rather see the return of the Golden Eagle or the Levi's Edition. Oh well.:(
Yeah I can't tell if the Mountain edition gets anything different on the inside other than the stitching on the seat with the Mountain logo, the Island version gets the blue inserts and blue stitching on the wheel. The Mountain edition get side step rails (available separately as a Mopar option), tail light guard (again already available option) fuel door (again already available option) the decal and flat black hood area seem to be the only unique thing about it. I would have thought they could have put together a little something extra, special or not already available other than some decals and stitching but I guess not. Not even a unique color, that blue color is already available for 2010 (surf blue) because we looked at it.

I saw that picture of the Samurai that set the altitude record but it was clearly a heavily modified vehicle and the picture it showed that I saw looked like there was still more terrain to climb so I don't know if the engine ran out of oxygen or what but evidently it had special injectors and what not to try and get it as high as possible. How come the Jeep team didn't respond as that record was set a couple of years ago now? Is there an altitude record for a factory stock vehicle? I would think a Jeep Rubicon would be hard to beat in that regard, certainly no stock Suzuki is going to beat it.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I think the main difference in this island edition is the old soft windows, and half doors. And the doors come off. All the modern Wranglers I've seen since 2007 and the new body design have rigid framed doors with mirrors bolted to them. Even if you went to the trouble of removing the doors you would have no side mirrors.

I'm not a modern Jeep Wrangler expert, but on my old CJ-7, the best times were beach cruzin' with the doors off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts