Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Porsche OEM 92-95 968-hvac Heater Control Valve 92857457303

that's the part in question (one of the valves has a vacuum leak causing the squeal)

---- found the part! ----

Okay, so this isn't a boost control at all...my googling was just awful...I google the electric controller thing and everything said booster control, but apparently that part is used for Air Injection Change Over Valve in the porsche - here's what my failing part is connected too....any ideas what it might be called? 08 Porsche Boxster 987 Air Injection Change Over Valve 99660512301

---- more updates! -----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47E3-r6Gx8w here's the problem part pulled out

here's a photo if you'd rather not watch the video [image] https://photos.app.goo.gl/YtM2prWyXefSRZWy2 [/image]

--------

It appears to be a vacuum regulator (maybe?) that is part of the boost control valve (pierburg pa6-gf30) anyone know what I can buy a replacement and how to replace it? It didn't seem obvious how to take it off without breaking anything :p

------latest update above-------

Here's a video showing the part that's squealing...I found it with a mechanics stethoscope (after a lot of poking around) and confirmed it was the problem child by wiggling it around to see if the noise changes (it does) - now my problem is I have no idea what that is so I'm hoping y'all can help me out there :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N5ec_Eckd0

if I can make a new video giving you a better view of the part I'd be happy too - just let me know if I can help you help me

------------- OLD POST BELOW, RECENT UPDATES ABOVE ----------

edit: this is for a 2006 boxster s with 92k miles

edit2: here's the video highlighting the noises https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlt-xelJ-xk

so I have a persistent squealing noise that I immediately thought I could diagnose by spraying silicone based lube on all the crankshaft pulleys (I think that's what I'm supposed to be lubing up?) but that didn't make it stop squealing so I dug further....the noise appears to be coming from the engine bay and not from anywhere close to the belt though so I googled around and everyone who had similar issues said it was the air/oil separator which made sense given the noise characteristics, but I replaced that and the noise is the exact same

so the noise characteristics are....upon cranking it's always quiet for about 10-15 seconds then it chirps a few times (really fast chirping) until it settles into a continuous high pitched squeal.....I can turn the car off and on a few times and sometimes the squeal never appears at all even if I drive it for a few minutes....the squeal only seems to change when I first accelerate

I've got some movement on one of my crankshaft pulleys so I'm thinking something might be failing there but I'm not 100% on which it is...it's basically the 2nd lowest crankshaft after the water pump

I'll post a video and hopefully catch the full range of audio for y'all tomorrow morning any tips would be appreciated

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
When anyone mentions hearing a squealing noise from the engine compartment, the first thing that should be ruled out is a bad belt, especially on a car with 92K miles. I'd thoroughly check the condition of all belts in your engine bay. As a matter of fact if they have never been replaced, this may be a good time to do so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When anyone mentions hearing a squealing noise from the engine compartment, the first thing that should be ruled out is a bad belt, especially on a car with 92K miles. I'd thoroughly check the condition of all belts in your engine bay. As a matter of fact if they have never been replaced, this may be a good time to do so.
I don't think the 987 has more than one belt though, right? I've inspected the serpentine belt and it looks fine...maybe you mean the timing chain? I wouldn't expect that to cause a squeal, but I'm pretty new to porsche's in general

·
Registered
514 Posts
I don't think the 987 has more than one belt though, right? I've inspected the serpentine belt and it looks fine...maybe you mean the timing chain? I wouldn't expect that to cause a squeal, but I'm pretty new to porsche's in general
One belt. Maybe check the belt tensioner. Not sure how to do that, but over the years I've had a couple failures on non-Porsche cars, but they were always quite obvious. When I've had various bearings go, sometimes the squeal comes and goes for weeks, probably depending on how the specific worn bearing surfaces are moving. Never tried it, but maybe you could get further data by stressing the various spinning components - turn AC on/off, wiggle steering wheel to make the PS pump work harder, turn fan/headlights on/off to put stress on the alternator. Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One belt. Maybe check the belt tensioner. Not sure how to do that, but over the years I've had a couple failures on non-Porsche cars, but they were always quite obvious. When I've had various bearings go, sometimes the squeal comes and goes for weeks, probably depending on how the specific worn bearing surfaces are moving. Never tried it, but maybe you could get further data by stressing the various spinning components - turn AC on/off, wiggle steering wheel to make the PS pump work harder, turn fan/headlights on/off to put stress on the alternator. Good luck.
useful advice, thanks I did all of those things and still the only difference I noticed was when I am rev'ing the engine....I posted a video above if that helps you help me :)

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
To me that sure sounds like a pulley bearing going bad. You'll have to get your ear closer to find out which one, or use one of those stethoscope-type things. Its bad enough that you also might find the culprit by removing the belt and just spinning each pulley by hand.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Listened to the video. It does not sound like the bearings I've had go bad - not to say it isn't, just not what I've typically heard. My next-door neighbor's daughter's car is currently making obvious bearing noise from the alternator or something, exactly the same as all the other bearings I've heard go bad over the years. Yours doesn't sound like that so I'm confused. Could just be the audio capture process is distorting the sound. The bearing failures I've had usually sound a little "grindier", while yours is more "whistley". I don't think I'm helping. :( But I do like the idea of a stethoscope, or even a short piece of garden hose. The problem I've had with stethoscopes is I hear all noises everywhere, whereas sometimes a hose can isolate things better. I will admit I have on occasion replaced the wrong (non-returnable) item before I got the right one. D'oh! Removing the belt and spinning by hand can help, but sometimes bearings can feel OK even though at high speed they squeal. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
I had a high pitched whistle or squeal in my 2010. Only happened at idle. Car had about 16K miles and less than 2 yrs old. Took it in for dealer to check and they replaced the water pump. There was no visible leaking, maybe early seal failure. Only happened after the engine was fully warm and I only noticed it waiting at stoplights.
While kind of loud, the pitch made it sound omni-directional. I suppose a stethoscope would isolate it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Alright, haven't touched my 987 in a week or two so I've finally gotten around to figuring out where the squeal is coming from and here's a video of it

Here's a video showing the part that's squealing...I found it with a mechanics stethoscope (after a lot of poking around) and confirmed it was the problem child by wiggling it around to see if the noise changes (it does) - now my problem is I have no idea what that is so I'm hoping y'all can help me out there :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N5ec_Eckd0

if I can make a new video giving you a better view of the part I'd be happy too - just let me know if I can help you help me

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It appears to be a vacuum regulator (maybe?) that is part of the boost control valve (pierburg pa6-gf30) anyone know what I can buy a replacement and how to replace it? It didn't seem obvious how to take it off without breaking anything :p

·
Registered
514 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47E3-r6Gx8w here's the problem part pulled out - any ideas where I can find a replacement? Also what would the represcussions of driving without a vacuum reg on boost control be? Could I just cap the end until I get a replacement?
The people at Pelican are helpful - I'd suggest contacting them. Good chance they have the part and can tell you if you can temporarily cap it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, so this isn't a boost control at all...my googling was just awful...I google the electric controller thing and everything said booster control, but apparently that part is used for Air Injection Change Over Valve in the porsche - here's what my failing part is connected too....any ideas what it might be called? 08 Porsche Boxster 987 Air Injection Change Over Valve 99660512301 | eBay

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.