Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a mess with all the rain and wind we had yesterday. I think I would have rather had snow.

My neighbor across the street had a ton of shingles blown off the roof. Some landed on my yard and it the dark, they fooled me into thinking they were mine.

I hope everyone made out OK!

Here's how my neighbors yard looked in morning.

·
Cayman Owner
100 Posts
Sorry pete, no way I could make it in the crazy weather around. I even ended up having trees fall on my driveway and my grill fell over! Ouch haha, but now gotta call the insurance company to clean up the mess.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts

Mess at my house at the Jersey shore. Tree down and branches everywhere. Wind sounded like a train going by almost all day Saturday.

My mom's house in Bergen county, no power and they don't think it will be turned back on for several days!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just took a walk around the neighborhood. Almost every third house had either shingle, siding or tree damage (sometimes all three!). Fences are down, sediment all over the road, it's the end of the world!

·
Premium Member
485 Posts
Pete:

I just called out for the 7:00pm - 7:00am shift and Howard Avenue up here is impassable. (Good thing the Yankees are out of season as 3 of them are neighbors).

I lived in Kansas for 44 years and short of the tornado of June 1966 in Topeka, have never seen anything like this. We had a window that the wind cracked in the dining room. This is the downside of having your house sit atop the highest spot between the Carolinas and Maine!

I'll try to get some photos and post in the next day or two.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Courtney, that is some serious damage. And arborists are very expensive.

I thought that the rain would be good for washing away all of the salt and sand from the winter storms. Instead, there are tree branches, debris, and more sand on the roads from the torrential rains.

Hope no one was injured in the storm.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Other than no electricity since Sat PM (no water, no heat, no fridge),no cable since Sun AM (no internet), no phone (except cell) no problems. Finally broke down and hooked up the generator Sun PM to keep the fridge frozen and toilets flushing.
Sent thru my sons Iphone.

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny you mentioned power bigwong. Even though I didn't lose power, many in folks my area did. After seeing how much the sump pump was running (and still running), I would have been in deep doodoo if I had lost power for even a few hours during the storm.

I'm taking a crash course in portable generators now. The only issue is that the pump is in the basement but I do have windows down there. Probably not enough venting if I was going to run the generator constantly, but if I turn it on for a few minutes at a time just to pump the water out of the pit, it should be good, right?

I'll make sure to keep all the basement windows open. It is a large open/unfinished area.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Pete, a generator should never be used indoors due to carbon monoxide buildup and poisoning. Since you don't have a garage, you'll probably want it outside. I think that if you really must locate it in your basement, look into running metal ducting that would connect the exhaust to the outside.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Power came back on @8:00 PM tonight.
Portable generators are best left outdoors, or in a garage with the door wide open. You can make a cover out of plywood and 2X4's, bolting to the generator frame so it doesn't blow away. Run a heavy duty extension cord in thru the window and you're all set.
In my case, when I built the house, I installed a 30 A 220 V outlet in the garage. I shut of the main breaker (so I don't energize the line coming off the road) and backfeed the panel from the garage. I only had a 5 KW generator at the time so it was big enough to power the water pump, refrigerator, one of the heaters, and some lights.
You don't realize how dependent you are upon modern technology until it doesn't work!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Humm, thanks for the info guys.

What a pain, I have no place for a generator. If I leave it outside, it'll definitely grow legs and walk in this neighborhood.

I think I'm just going to keep a dozen empty 5 gallon spackle buckets by the sump pit...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I made it home to RI without a problem...it was pushing me around on the highway, but the bigger hassle were all the people who don't know how to drive. I would rather deal with whiteout conditions with hurricane force winds than people who sit in the high speed lane without passing....man I love driving in Germany...everyone follows the rules.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Humm, thanks for the info guys.

What a pain, I have no place for a generator. If I leave it outside, it'll definitely grow legs and walk in this neighborhood.

I think I'm just going to keep a dozen empty 5 gallon spackle buckets by the sump pit...
This one grew legs!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.