Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did I buy the right car?

In early ’08, I purchased a 2007 Cayman. It was a pure, unadulterated impulse buy. I had gone in to buy my dream car, a 911. I drove two, a C2 and a C4s. Then I drove the Cayman. A base one. Halfway through the test drive, I had made up my mind. Went home with it.

A year and a half have gone by. Still loving the Cayman, when I drive it. But, doubt started to creep in: Did I buy the right car? The 911 has so much more power. The 911 is THE car to have according to the aftermarket and the magazines and the internet forums. The Cayman is the “little” Porsche, the “poor mans Porsche”, etc ad nauseum.

So, I started looking for a 911. The dealership had a beautiful 2006 Carrera S in Guards Red that caught my eye. Had everything I wanted on it, and was in my budget. I had to take the Cayman in for some warranty work, so while we waited we looked the Carrera S over. Took it on a test drive.

It was magnificent! What power! WOW!

After the initial adrenaline rush from the acceleration subsided, I realized why I would not buy the C2S. For me, it’s not as good a car as my Cayman. (Not bashing AT ALL! The Carrera is a thing of beauty!)

The Cayman swept me away because of it’s purity, it’s steering precision and it’s balance. I didn’t feel that in the C2S. I did notice (actually my wife did), that there was a lot more road noise. That might be a function of the 19” PS2’s. But the steering didn’t have that telecommunicative feel of my Cayman. Not numb at all, just not as good. I don’t know how else to describe it.

After the test drive, I handed the keys back to the salesman. I explained that I was not interested in trading. He understood.

When we got back in the Cayman, it was with a sense of relief and vindication. I had made the right decision back in ’08. It IS the right car.

Reactions: Remz84

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,265 Posts
I guess you did buy the correct car then.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Unfortunately it takes a test drive in the 911 to reach that conclusion.

Your dream car is the MY10 Cayman S with a tune. This will help fill some power you experienced in the 911 without compromising on handling.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I did the same thing.

Walked into a dealership and test drove two cars: the 911 I had dreamt about for a lifetime, and the Cayman that caught my eye as I waited for the 911 to be pulled around. Took the 911 out for a spin and thought it was magnificent - well-planted and refined. Took the Cayman out and......had fun.

That was it. It was just more fun. After driving the 987, I bought it.

I put 40K miles on that beautiful car before a truck rear-ended me. I decided to replace it with a 911 S that I optioned in what I considered a perfect fashion: Sport Chrono, Sport Exhaust, Sport Shifter, Bose, Nav, and more. It is a monster of a car - fast, beautiful and a kick to drive. It is my dream car.

Nonetheless, when I see a Cayman............

·
Registered
77 Posts
I drove delivery for a high-end detailer for about six months. Drove many Porsches (I was already very familiar with Porsche cars as I've owned several 911's). After driving a then new (2006) Cayman S I walked into the managers office and said "that's the car I want." The manager was a Porsche Certified Technician at one time and he knew exactly what I was saying.

I love and respect 911's, but they aren't what I want. I've heard back-handed compliments from some Porsche people about Cayman, as in "well, they ARE easy to drive fast" as if you aren't paying your dues if you don't drive a 911. I've been there and done that, I have nothing to prove. I'll take a mid-engine Porsche anytime.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Like most... I've dreamed of a 911 since I was a kid.
Once I saw the cayman for the first time...
I was bitten, infected, destined to own one.
I got the car last week.
On my drive home from the dealership...
I was launching my cayman on a clover freeway onramp.
Just after I passed under the overpass...
I saw a 911 out the passenger window also merging.
I was really moving, and so was he.
I faded all the way over the the fast lane, as did the 911.
As the 911 pulled away, I saw the GT3 below his fin.
Not even that could burst my bubble.
Later that night, I woke up and let the dog out.
2 hours later, I came back. The wife had let the dog in.
As I crawled back in bed, she asked... Did you have a good time?
It was then that I realize... I was smiling.
The answer to the question...
Yes!
:banana:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Car review are basically good for one thing: perhaps adding (or subtracting) from the list of cars that you might want to look at. Where do they tend to test cars in general? The track. Where do we drive cars? The street. Even people here who track their cars also use it on the street. Is your "street" the sticks where you can really let loose? Or are you in a city or just outside a major metropolitan area? Are you looking for a DD or a GQ that only comes out on clear sunny days? All of these things and more impact what is the right car for you. None of that info will necessarily come out in a car review. The GT3 may be the ultimate Porsche in terms of capability, but I would bet a Cayman would be much more easy to live with day to day on the street. In fact, I would wager that if you live just outside a major metropolitan area like myself or live in a major metropolitan area, the "ultimate" Porsche for DD on the street is a base Cayman with PDK.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your dream car is the MY10 Cayman S with a tune. This will help fill some power you experienced in the 911 without compromising on handling.
Thanks, but no thanks!:)

My dream car is sitting out in my barn... I just had to re-discover it.

Jim in Texas

·
Registered
247 Posts
Let me give you an example which I am now struggling with. I am looking to replace my current vehicle and joined this site to learn more about the Cayman. For my needs, a used base Cayman with PDK ('09) seems to be the best bet. The other car I'm looking at is a RX-8 R3. Now on the surface, that may seems to be a crazy comparison. However, both are true sports cars with great handling. The two big issues for me are storage capacity and the GQ effect. The Cayman has a fair amount of storage capacity for a sports car, but I am not convinced that it has enough capacity for how I plan to use the car. My wife and I go shopping on Saturdays for weekly groceries and other things. The Cayman probably isn't going to be the car we take for that: there just isn't enough room. That would be no issue for the RX-8.

The other issue is the garage queen (GQ) effect which you see here all the time. Am I going to just drive a Porsche and not worry about the small things like road chips or people opening their doors on my car or am I going to just drive the car and enjoy it? I need a DD, not a GQ and I have to feel comfortable that I would treat a Cayman like a DD.

Is the Cayman the better car in terms of performance and general quality? Yes. But the question is whether it is the better car for me and how I plan to use the car. That is a very different question whose answer will differ with every individual

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you driven a Cayman yet?

·
Registered
463 Posts
A friend of mine has a magnificent 2010 911 Turbo. An absolutely stunning car. He recently had it in for routine service and was given a base Cayman to drive for the day. He hasn't stopped raving about the way the car drives ever since.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Well like many here I wanted a 911 my entire life, but you know how life goes.

I did however drive a 914 for about 15 years, and it had some very good traits though few today would drive a vehicle from the 1970s.

Plus people have to remember that as crude as a 914 would be by today's standards, the 911s back then were based on similar technology. Also they didn't have any where near the power they have today (though cars tended to weigh less, and be less safe as well ;)) but it was all relative. Our idea of what was a "fast" sports car was measured relative to other similar vehicles.

Then somewhere along the way I lost interest in the 911.

The designs started to look overly conservative to my eye, the price kept going up, they were no longer anything like the cars I remembered fondly.

The Boxster ended up being very cool, but for personal reasons I am not a big fan of soft top cars.

When the Cayman was released it changed everything for me. Suddenly Porsche had put together a car that had the 2-seater mid-engine intimacy of the 914, enough power, the refinement of a modern car, and the body styling is just WOW. They managed to blend the classic Porsche front end with a sexy curvy rear end that everyone seems to love.

Is it the most powerful car available? Nope. But most of us remember it wasn't that long ago we would have been extremely thrilled to own a sports car that did 0-60 in < 7 seconds.

Today of course there are multiple cars that can do that in sub 5 seconds, and yet if straight line speed is your thrill, there have always been more affordable choices that go faster. Chances are though HP and straight-line speed is only one of many reasons you wanted a Porsche.

For me I bought the right car. Which isn't to say a 400HP Cayman wouldn't be a blast but hey, what exactly would the reason be to buy a 911 then? :taunt: Oh right, the back seat and iconic name ;)

·
Registered
159 Posts
The beauiful thing about Porsche is that all their cars are excellent and there are no bad choices.
After 30 years of owning a 914 the choice was to restore or buy another so I started looking at a new car. Went in with an open mind looking at 911 and both 987s and like most have always had a yearning, no lust, for a 911 but when I started really looking hard the mid engine layout was just more fun to drive and I went with a new (07) Boxster. It was the right choice till the PDK came out and I moved up to an S and that is the right care for sure.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
The Cayman has a fair amount of storage capacity for a sports car, but I am not convinced that it has enough capacity for how I plan to use the car. My wife and I go shopping on Saturdays for weekly groceries and other things. The Cayman probably isn't going to be the car we take for that: there just isn't enough room.
The Cayman has more than enough room for weekly grocery shopping. Unless you go to a Costco and buy in bulk. Just FYI you can fit 2 Standard Carry-on Luggage (22" x 14" x 9") one on top of another in the front trunk.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Last May, I went in to buy an 08 911 (2,000 miles and certified), test drove it with my wife and really liked it. But, I remember my salesman (from whom I had previously bought 2 Audis) saying that of all the Porsches, his favorite is the Cayman S. So, I said, before we sign the paperwork, how about if I drive your favorite Porsche. He took a new CS off the floor and we drove it. My wife and I had the identical reaction........this is the one. When we came back, Trey asked what we thought.......and we said we would take it. He then offered us a new 09 911 and said, try this.....more horsepower and see what you think. We drove the exact same route as with the 08 911 and the CS. We came back and bought the CS. As we were signing the paperwork, we were talking with their senior Porsche salesman and recounted our findings. He just smiled and said, I am not surprised. He said, for a daily driver, in particular, it is hands down his favorite. Every day in my commute (includes a 2 mile set of lightly traveled twisties) I am reminded of the correctness, for us, of the decision.

·
Registered
126 Posts
"But wait there is is more: "Only thing better is the GT3-RS""

Notice though that there seemed to be a bit of hesitation or reluctance in his voice when he said that, as if he wasn't 100% sold on what he was saying. Perhaps he thought it wise to not embarrass too much the upper echelon Porsche owners and so he was practicing a bit of appeasement....or not.

By the way, I couldn't get my video to work implanted like yours....even though I followed the Q&A directions. Perhaps I only thought I was following them and instead was trailing some guy with a flute.

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
My wife and I go shopping on Saturdays for weekly groceries and other things. The Cayman probably isn't going to be the car we take for that: there just isn't enough room.
Are "other things" things like pianos and concrete statuary?

I have four kids and my Cayman holds weekly groceries in the front of the car.

6 or 8 bags in the front... with room to spare and nothing squished. Then there is the back.

It actually surprising how few things DON'T fit in the car. "All four of my kids at once" is the first thing that comes to mind. Thank God for that. LOL.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts