Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
I think that will look great...assuming it will look just like the 911 and not have the door, roof and hood stripes like in your avatar.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I think if looks great but I'm partial to monochromatics.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that will look great...assuming it will look just like the 911 and not have the door, roof and hood stripes like in your avatar.
Exactly like in the picture. No stripes or anything. The model in the picture is a TechArt GT Street.. once I have the wrap on it, they might custom build those fake air intakes on the front bumper.
Will think about it as I normally hate non functional stuff on the car, but it might just make the car 'pop'.

Break calipers will get the same neon green once the wrap is done and looks good. Same with the Cayman logo on the back.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Personally, I am much more of a fan of the car in your avatar; the wrap is too dull and boring, even with the green calipers. Sorry, to each his own, but you asked for opinions.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen pricing start around 4K and top 12K.
Around that yeah.. 3M Film and quality work without bubbles and all that costs good money. You don't want to open your car door and the inside of it has its original paint and the outside is wrapped.
Same goes for the trunk, frunk and so on. Spoiler, front bumper, side skirts and all that comes off as well as far as I know.
So there's a lot of detail involved like taking head / tail lights out, mirror glasses and so on. Paid a bit extra to have it done within 2 days.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Why didn't you just order the flat gray as a custom color from Porsche for $5,500, and then just have the hood wrapped in the black. That way all the interior areas would be gray and you'd probably save $5,000 or so?!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Once I am tired of the wrap, i'll have it removed and no one will know it was there and my white paint was protected as well.
Will that gray wrap provide paint chip protection like a 3M? If it is like the typical colored thin film it will be only good for no swirl marks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
looks good but i think yours looks better at the moment

·
Registered
294 Posts
Okay, I understand your reasoning and desire for a (reversible) change. But, with regard to your car now, presumably your avatar, can you give us some information on the stripes and rocker banner, as those are a nice addition. Information such as what are they made of; painted or decals? If decals, any problems with them pealing when washing/waxing? Who makes them and who installed them? And if you don't mind, a ballpark cost if installed. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Will that gray wrap provide paint chip protection like a 3M? If it is like the typical colored thin film it will be only good for no swirl marks.
It not only provides chip protection, it provides solar protection against damaging UV as well as all over chip protection, and protection from chemicals like over sprays from cleaning and painting as well as protection from gasoline and diesel spray when driving in the rain. Buy an expensive car, wrap it day 1 and unwrap it when you sell it if it is starting to show is age. Underneath, the paint and its clearcoat will be virtually brand new, unaged and undamaged. It's a really good idea on an expensive or collector car. The more expensive and/or rare the car, the greater the payback.

It also allows me to buy an ugly or high maintenance color (like Black) if I find a bargain or one with the options i want, get it wrapped the way I want and still enjoy the car. For best wrap durability, automated carwashes are not a good idea.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Thanks but lets see - it was time for a change ;)
Ive got some high expectations, Pics when its done! I was thinking to go matte blue metallic on my car

·
Registered
208 Posts
I like the look especially that it can be changed/removed at any time.

Vinyl wrap also has to be properly cared for and maintained. Check out and be sure to follow 3M's care instructions. There are products available to protect it. Especially for the flat surfaces. Sun, moisture, acid rain, etc. will cause damage. Best if garaged and covered. Would not recommend for a daily driver..........

I can speak from experience.........I only got two years out of a matte gun-metal metallic hood wrap. However, it's my daily driver that is parked outside in the harsh New Jersey climate.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts