Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have been doing some reading of threads about break in for the first 2000 miles. My question is the sales guy told me the engine had been already run on a dyno and broken in. So I ran it through the gears to redline a couple of times. I then bought the car and read the break in part in the owners manual. Did I do any real damage to the engine running it a couple of times? Hope not as I love this car. I am learning a ton from this site and you guys are great. Thanks Jon:helpme:

·
Registered
667 Posts
Jon,

I was using all the revs after only 500 miles. I had it at a high performance driving event within 2 months of owning it (with less than 750 miles on it).

I haven't had a problem whatsoever. I now have over 75,000 miles on my car.

I think you'll be ok.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Guys I have been doing some reading of threads about break in for the first 2000 miles. My question is the sales guy told me the engine had been already run on a dyno and broken in. So I ran it through the gears to redline a couple of times. I then bought the car and read the break in part in the owners manual. Did I do any real damage to the engine running it a couple of times? Hope not as I love this car. I am learning a ton from this site and you guys are great. Thanks Jon:helpme:
YOU RUINED IT!! No worries, I'll be glad to give you $5k for 'what's left' of 'er sight unseen! :hilarious:

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
My question is the sales guy told me the engine had been already run on a dyno and broken in.
Your salesman was half right. Yes, it was run on a dyno at the factory, but no it was not broken in, and won't be for well over 2,000 miles. That said, you didn't hurt anything. The manual's break-in mileage admonition is more the product of paranoid US corporate lawyers than automotive mechanics and engineers. You can search and read the many prior threads discussing this if you're curious.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Jon,

I was using all the revs after only 500 miles. I had it at a high performance driving event within 2 months of owning it (with less than 750 miles on it).

I haven't had a problem whatsoever. I now have over 75,000 miles on my car.

I think you'll be ok.
+1 on the sentiment. Personally, I think Porsche is breaking in the driver, not the car. ;)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Jon,

Don't fret over it my friend. You are fine!

With less than 2000 miles on my CS I attended the Brumo's Driving School where Hurley Haywood drove my car like he was trying to win Le Mans or Daytona again. Scared the BEJESUS out of me on a couple of laps. We were deep into the red line numbers......:eek:

It really made me appreciate what the car all the more! Anyway, have never had a single problem with the car.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Jon,

Don't fret over it my friend. You are fine!

With less than 2000 miles on my CS I attended the Brumo's Driving School where Hurley Haywood drove my car like he was trying to win Le Mans or Daytona again. Scared the BEJESUS out of me on a couple of laps. We were deep into the red line numbers......:eek:

It really made me appreciate what the car all the more! Anyway, have never had a single problem with the car.
Dude that was funny. Its mixed emotions.... Its like ... Hey Hurley Haywood is driving my car :cool: .. Hey Hurley Haywood is driving my car :eek:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
A friend picked up a new Formula Atlantic engine from the builder and asked how to break it in. The guy looked at him and said 'it will never be better than it is right now. It's all down hill from here. Put it in your car and take it to the race.'

·
Caymaniac
5,658 Posts
A friend picked up a new Formula Atlantic engine from the builder and asked how to break it in. The guy looked at him and said 'it will never be better than it is right now. It's all down hill from here. Put it in your car and take it to the race.'
That is hilarious.

To the OP...your car is going to need a new engine in ten years or 200,000 miles. Of course you will have spent $25,000 on gasoline by then, and engines are less than that.

Oh yeah, you are going to get hit by a UPS truck a year and a half from now and your car will be totaled. You and your co-worker will be unhurt. So don't sweat it. And the UPS driver will be the only hot woman Fedex let slip away. ;)

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
I agree that alot of the initial breakin is for the driver. It took me 1500 - 2000 miles before I was comfortable with the car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Two items - One, at the Porsche Driving School in Alabama I was talking to one of the mechanics and he said they take delivery of their new cars every January and put them into the school immediately, no break-in, used 210 days a year and at the end of the year they send the cars to a local dealer who them sells them with full warranty. Secondly, when the V8 engine for my Alfa Monteal was rebuilt by the local Ferrari shop ($20k), they didn't even pre-oil the engine when they fired it up the first time, told me to drive the H*ll out of it and it has run fine ever since. Compression check after two years and all was perfect.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Secondly, when the V8 engine for my Alfa Monteal was rebuilt by the local Ferrari shop ($20k), they didn't even pre-oil the engine when they fired it up the first time, told me to drive the H*ll out of it and it has run fine ever since. Compression check after two years and all was perfect.
Those are beautiful cars! Are the Montreals as nice to drive and own as they look?

·
Registered
124 Posts
+1 on the sentiment. Personally, I think Porsche is breaking in the driver, not the car. ;)
And that may perhaps be a good idea..
Yes, I kind of got that impression as well when I got mine in Stuttgart.

The car was already well broken in, but the salesman was very eager to point out that I should be very careful with the new tires the first miles, not drive very fast and so on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YOU RUINED IT!! No worries, I'll be glad to give you $5k for 'what's left' of 'er sight unseen! :hilarious:
:hilarious: I thought I may have ruined it;). Loving the car and can't wait till next week as I am on vacation!!!! :drivingskid: Jon

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought a new Boxster in 1999 and drove it hard from the start and it had much better revving than any other boxster i drove. Now oil consumption, no oil leaks, and not one problem related to the engine and sold it with 49K on it and the new owner still finds it a great engine.

·
Registered
882 Posts
The break in period is as much to let the new driver become accustomed to the car as the mechanical breaking in, But breaking in both still makes sense.

With respect to your few high rev moments, no damage was likely done. Ed

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
I do a proper breakin on all my engines. Well both of them that I bought
new.

I bought one of those engines new as a 2001 Yamaha R1. Two of my buddies
bought identical bikes on the same day. One of those guys did about the
worst thing you can possibly do to a new engine. Mine was broken in over
a period of about 2,000 miles. After about 5,000 or so miles, my pals bike
was burning significant amounts of oil. Mine - not a drop and I would out-
drag him every time we lined up beside each other.

Do bearkins matter? Oh ya they do.

Ddi you "harm" your engine? No. It doesn't sound like you were doing the
types of things that harm it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts