Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
You mean these results? https://scoring.imsa.com

18, 19, 20 in GTD (GT3 R)
6, 8 in GTLM (991RSR)

I can guess. The 991RSR was supposed to be retired several years ago. Instead, they keep "evolving" it. Its simply no longer competitive and they probably know that. Was not the FeFi supposed to be racing now. Time to move on to Formula E. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Looks like the real winners were the US brands taking the top 2 spots in prototype and the top 4 spots in GTLM.

Reactions: ralarcon

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
I'm going with Balance of Performance (BOP)... and the conspiracy theorists will point to Chip's 200th victory was on the line... maybe.. But I think that the Ford GT's have a wider range of adjusting BOP -- turbo's and all and Chip Ganasi just did a better job of gaming the system. There was just no way the 911 RSR's could keep up for 24 hours ... the #911 lost a lot of time when it crashed in the "bus stop" chicane... video showed driver (forgot who was in the car) was being lapped and was pushing hard -- and missed his apex by a bunch of inches... slide wide into dirt and couldn't stay out of the tire wall --- one apex miss and boom,down 20+ laps. But, best case would have been down 2 or 4 laps over 24 hours.. just like the Corvettes..

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Poor results, but they haven't performed in a while. Last year Porsche was 4th in GTLM with one win and only 5 podiums in 11 races. In GTD, they were third with 2 wins and 5 podiums in 12 races.

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts
I didn't get a chance to see this year's Daytona 24hr race but I just read the final results and it looks like Porsche had a terrible outing in each category they raced in. What happened???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Daytona 24, and Le Mans are still internal combustion engine contests. Porsche is ,reportedly, more interested in "electric" vehicles. Thus their racing heritage is being squandered. The answer to your question is yes, now and the foreseeable future, in internal combustion engine racing.

Cheers

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Daytona 24, and Le Mans are still internal combustion engine contests. Porsche is ,reportedly, more interested in "electric" vehicles. Thus their racing heritage is being squandered. The answer to your question is yes, now and the foreseeable future, in internal combustion engine racing.

Cheers
So what's the point of the 911 RSR? Why would anyone buy one given how many other cars finished ahead of it? I thought that Porsche was supposed to have an all new greatly improved RSR, so the results were shocking to me, no pun intended....

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
So what's the point of the 911 RSR? Why would anyone buy one given how many other cars finished ahead of it? I thought that Porsche was supposed to have an all new greatly improved RSR, so the results were shocking to me, no pun intended....

As heretical as this may seem, I can see were Porsche will drop out of racing in about five years.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
Might be interesting to look at the rules and where a GT2 might fit in..................play the tunable turbo game along with Ferrari, Ford...............

·
Premium Member
2,353 Posts

I hear you, personally I think that unless they come out with a new, mid engine, GT3 RSR level car, they are not going to be competitive. Even Corvette is coming out with a new mid engine car, ready for homologation, very soon. What a wasted opportunity with the Cayman. 718 is on the chopping block as predicted.

Cheers

·
Registered
66 Posts
extremely disappointing in both classes...the BOP has favored the ford gt's now for 3 years since intro but Porsche does not seem too interested in competing anymore. personally, I find the E races hilarious as drivers run out of their car to jump into another one, won't be watching that. on a positive note, the Continental race Friday was a much better result for the Cayman's. I was able to glimpse portions of this race on IMSA TV but it was brutal as their bandwidth was pitiful..... It is televised on Feb 10th so I wont spoil it:)

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
They already have. I don't think these are works cars. They are cars sold to teams. Aren't they going into Formula E? Porsche set to compete in Formula E from Season 6 – Formula E

Look for signs in the upcoming Annual Report.
the cars that ran last year and at this years Rolex were factory/works cars as far as I know. Now, Porsche has sold a limited run of the "new RSR's" to private teams... does that mean that those cars will be second rate, or that the factory will not be involved ?? Just sayin' that the Ford-Chip Ganasi model seems to be working pretty well.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
the cars that ran last year and at this years Rolex were factory/works cars as far as I know. Now, Porsche has sold a limited run of the "new RSR's" to private teams... does that mean that those cars will be second rate, or that the factory will not be involved ?? Just sayin' that the Ford-Chip Ganasi model seems to be working pretty well.
Thats why I said "think", I wasn't sure. I looked it up and yes, there are two cars https://www.porsche.com/usa/eventsandracing/motorsport/worksracing/

No, cars sold to teams are not "less". That's not the point. The point is the less involvement by the factory with factory drivers in racing, the less emphasis on the sport.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I think the main take-away of this thread is that it's alright to say "arse" but you can't say "***". Seems like that shows some kind of favoritism to those blokes over there. Especially since the definition of one refers to the other. arse=***

Reactions: D&D and K-Man S

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the main take-away of this thread is that it's alright to say "arse" but you can't say "***". Seems like that shows some kind of favoritism to those blokes over there. Especially since the definition of one refers to the other. arse=***
Now Don't be a horse's arse!!! :)

·
Registered
903 Posts
I hear you, personally I think that unless they come out with a new, mid engine, GT3 RSR level car, they are not going to be competitive. Even Corvette is coming out with a new mid engine car, ready for homologation, very soon. What a wasted opportunity with the Cayman. 718 is on the chopping block as predicted.

Cheers

The current RSR IS mid-engine. I blame the BOP.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Time to move on to Formula E. :)
I'm less excited about Formula E than you; "FanBoost" is a one thing I like to pick on, among others. :p

It's no longer about the best team, and the best machine. Now "fans...have a direct impact on the race outcome." []Error | Formula E Wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

As the op suggested - Porsche is getting its Arse kicked. (Instead of kicking Arse as petrol engine sport winds down to the end....)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Reactions: K-Man S
1 - 20 of 20 Posts