Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've owned my first Porsche, a 2011 Boxster S for exactly two weeks. I am thrilled whenever I drive it, and still slightly in shock that this beauty belongs to me. (I keep wondering who's car this is)

Today after a wonderful ride in West Marin, I did something really dumb. Pulling back into my driveway after the day out, I left the engine running on to idle to cool down as recommended in the user manual. Curious dufus that I am, I went over to the passenger side air intake to feel how hot it was. It thought it would be blowing warm air out, but it was still pulling air in. The paper napkin I had in my hand got sucked right in! DUH! I ran around, stopped the engine and was able to remove most of it (hung up on the fan blade) with a coat hanger. After a short while the fan reversed - and blew out a few more small pieces. I am fairly optimistic that all or most of it is out - but I can't be certain.

questions:
how concerned should I be?
Where can I get a service manual if I care to do some rudimentary maintenance?
The user manual does not even show you how to access the engine!

I figured I ought to remove the air intake filter and give a look-see after my boner. I've seen some videos on accessing older Boxster engines and assume it would be a very similar procedure - but a manual, or at least an engine parts exploded diagram would be a nice thing to have in hand.

thanks in advance, - bonehead

·
Banned
2,307 Posts
thats why air filters were invented.. are you concerned it might be sucked in the engine.. i mean inside the engine.... the air filter is there to stop that..

Lemon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I realize there's air filter - that's why the request for manual (which I now know are very pricey from Porsche). I'd like to pull it if possible and clean it if necessary. I did have some fear that there might be something that might get mucked up between the side intake and the filter though, another reason I'd love to look at an exploded diagram.

·
Premium Member
5,868 Posts
The manual says to run the car to cool it down? Really? :confused: I'll have to check my manual because I've had a Boxster and three Caymans (is that the plural of Cayman?) and I have never left my car running to cool it down after a regular drive. If your car is really hot the fans will kick on after you turn off the ignition. They will run every now and then until your engine cools.

Should you be concerned? Not really. Your car probably pulls in leaves and other trash that you never know about. (As Schnell Auto said, that's why we have filters.) Most of it gets pulverized by the fan. I have had one or two big leaves that don't want to give up. I pulled them out with a coat hanger. (Just be careful.)

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm making an assumption that your 2011 Boxtser is set up the same as the gen2 Cayman... but if so, the engine air intake (i.e with the air filter) is on the driver's side. The passenger side is just a fan for the engine compartment itself. A napkin would just get sucked in a probably blown out underneath the car. I suppose if it got wrapped up in the fan blade you could have an issue with interfering with normal rotation of the blade (and hurt the electric motor), but I doubt the paper is that strong. The thing is probably long gone... just forget it and move on.
BTW, for future reference... that fan on the passenger side will run whether or not the engine is running, key is in, car is locked, etc... I've heard it run at all sorts of times when it is hot. Don't stick a coat hanger in there! That could be seriously f&$%'ed up if it turned on while you're mucking around in there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As noted - I am still a bit in awe about this vehichle. Hence reading the manual thoroughly for the first time in my life - and perhaps fretting a bit more than necessary over stuff like this.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
BE is absolutely correct. In 986 and 987, passenger side "intake" is for the engine compartment air flow only. When the engine bay reaches a certain temp, the fan will turn on and suck/blow air in. Sucked in air will exit through the bottom of the engine bay and to the sides and back. Passenger side "intake" does not supply the engine with air.

In 981, both engine intake and air flow/fan are on both sides.

OP, your incident caused no damage. Also, the manual is talking about aggressive driving (e.g. track) or really, really hot climates.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Bentley Publishers offer service manuals for a number of Porsche models although currently they only cover up to the 2004 model year for the Boxster, i.e the 986.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts