Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you got this problem?

GUYS I had a strange thing happen to my 2008 Cayman S (4536 miles) yesterday.Suddenly by 0700 AM in the morning the horn blows up non stop.I tried to use the key to cancel,nothing happened,opened the car and put the key on the ignition,nothing happened.I had to open the front lid and disconnect the battery.Than a search for the siren(horn) on the fuse panel.Everything as all right.I connect the bat again,no more horn,but failure showing in PSM and PASM systems.:eek:Friday is a weekend over here(Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates)Service center close) So i turn off again the battery and check every single fuse related to PASM/PSM system= No Luck.So i Started the Car=car running goood,but the same systems still showing failure. So i went for a ride.After the first 3 km,PASM came back working,than the PSM after more 4 Km. Everything allright now.I guess maybe it happen because i parked the car outside and the humidity was very high overnight,and by 0700 some moisture/water when thru the wrong places.Just Guessing.Now everything normal i can enjoy my beauty again:dance:

If you guys had experienced this pls advise:thanks:

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Re: Have you got this problem?

GUYS I had a strange thing happen to my 2008 Cayman S (4536 miles) yesterday.Suddenly by 0700 AM in the morning the horn blows up non stop.I tried to use the key to cancel,nothing happened,opened the car and put the key on the ignition,nothing happened.I had to open the front lid and disconnect the battery.Than a search for the siren(horn) on the fuse panel.Everything as all right.I connect the bat again,no more horn,but failure showing in PSM and PASM systems.:eek:Friday is a weekend over here(Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates)Service center close) So i turn off again the battery and check every single fuse related to PASM/PSM system= No Luck.So i Started the Car=car running goood,but the same systems still showing failure. So i went for a ride.After the first 3 km,PASM came back working,than the PSM after more 4 Km. Everything allright now.I guess maybe it happen because i parked the car outside and the humidity was very high overnight,and by 0700 some moisture/water when thru the wrong places.Just Guessing.Now everything normal i can enjoy my beauty again:dance:

If you guys had experienced this pls advise:thanks:
Not sure why you posted this in this thread...wouldn't a new thread or a quick search work better?

That said, when PASM or PSM gets reset from a power failure (like when pulling and replacing the fuses, you just need to drive around a bit to get the warning lights to turn off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question: i can't seem to get used to the beeping sound after 120KM speed... is there a way to shut that thing off?? i want to here the engine.

regards,

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Question: i can't seem to get used to the beeping sound after 120KM speed... is there a way to shut that thing off?? i want to here the engine.

regards,
It's in the manual. Using the onboard trip computer (lower left stalk) go to LIMIT, Speed Limit. Push the lever down until "active" is highlighted. Push the stalk forward. This should deactivate the warning if it is currently active. Alternatively, you could set the limit speed higher - maybe 200KM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's in the manual. Using the onboard trip computer (lower left stalk) go to LIMIT, Speed Limit. Push the lever down until "active" is highlighted. Push the stalk forward. This should deactivate the warning if it is currently active. Alternatively, you could set the limit speed higher - maybe 200KM.
thanks, yet i did that… it only removes the limit warning that beeps once, the other beeping that keeps ringing as long as your over 120 doesn’t stop.

regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks, yet i did that… it only removes the limit warning that beeps once, the other beeping that keeps ringing as long as your over 120 doesn’t stop.

regards,
Ok still no help did everything with the main board computer & watched some videos on youtube that sound doesn’t exist in other cars…. I’m going to the dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The beeping over 120 is a legal issue in the UAE. Very annoying but may not be disabled. That of course does not mean it cannot be disabled... Friend has a Maserati and it drives him loopy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The beeping over 120 is a legal issue in the UAE. Very annoying but may not be disabled. That of course does not mean it cannot be disabled... Friend has a Maserati and it drives him loopy.
Thanks Man, wen to the Dealer Porsche, they made me sign a lot of stuff, then they removed it!!! feels different.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My passenger airbag light goes on when I plug in my cell phone charger. Dealer has to turn it off. Anyone else have that problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Max A/C is created by closing the door to exterior air while the A/C is on. Unfortunately, the door doesn't stay closed for more than 5 min with the A/C on. The recirculating light goes out indicating the outside air comes in.
Is this normal?

07 cayman S

·
Registered
56 Posts
This 45 degree thing is ridiculous. It has NOTHING to do with porsche ... its all about tires.

Any high performance tire is not as good below 50 degrees and terrible in snow.

All-seasons were made for 20 - 50 degree temps, light snow but not so good over 50 nor sticky

SNOWs are for SNOW. If you drive snow tires on dry pavement you will eat them up in one year and they sound louder

I really doubt anyone will have any issue just using their car all winter along provided you do not drive in snow or drive like you stole it when you should no better.

I will drive this car in 10 degrees if there is no snow (besides, I really dont want a ticket since thats not legal in a snow emergency)
Winter tyres make a whole lot of sense in the UK. I never used to think that, but I'm a convert.

Now, I don't really see a strong argument against them. We sometimes get snow, but not often.
When we do, winter tyres have enabled me to keep mobile in powerful RWD cars when others, even in cars with 4WD on summer tyres have been struggling terribly.
But that aspect is just an added bonus.
The real win for me is the performance in wet conditions, and when the temperature is below 7c (which in the UK is on average between 5 and 6 months of the year!).
There is no doubt that a good summer tyre outperforms a winter tyre in handling comparisons on a good warm day.
On a wet, cold day however, things can be very quickly reversed, and especially with regards to things like stopping distances.

I dont really see an economic argument against winter tyres either (provided you dont keep the winter tyres on too long when the climate gets better, as they wear more quickly in warmer temperatures) as while the summer tyres are on the winters arent getting wear, and vice-versa.
So the only real added costs is swapping the tyres.

Heres a link you might find interesting: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tyre-guides/36694/winter-tyre-test-2011

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a question regarding disconnecting electrical items when the ignition is off

Does this apply to iPods/MP3 players connected via the universal audio interface?

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
I have a question regarding disconnecting electrical items when the ignition is off

Does this apply to iPods/MP3 players connected via the universal audio interface?
No, that interface shuts down after I think 15 minutes, check the manual to be sure, but typically it is fine to leave your ipod plugged in, but realize it won't be charging so eventually will go dead.

·
Registered
56 Posts
No, that interface shuts down after I think 15 minutes, check the manual to be sure, but typically it is fine to leave your ipod plugged in, but realize it won't be charging so eventually will go dead.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.....no user manual available yet - deposit put down, but wont be collecting the car for another couple of weeks....agonizing wait...

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Regarding Battery. Mine is dead again after only 4 days of not driving the car. Can the electronics really be draining the battery in less than a week of inactivity, or is there something else going on here? Had this happen twice before the battery was replaced last year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Smoke - A puff of smoke on start up is normal. Usually this occurs after a period of inactivity. The flat six in your car collects a little oil in the bottom of the cylinders when they sit, and this is what's blowing out when you first start the motor.
Stall/Start - After stalls turn the key all the way to the LEFT (counterclockwise) before restarting.
santa_fe

thanks for sharing your experiences … i am new cayman '08 owner … and have noticed these peculiarities also. many things seems backwards about porsche … key on left-side … key-door-lock opposite from most other cars … etc.

not here to knock the loyalists … obviously, porsche just prefers keeping herself in perspective.

in retrospect, santa_fe … thanks for the bit about exhaust emanating after "period of inactivity" … helped calm my soul … when starting her up last weekend.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts

santa_fe

thanks for sharing your experiences … i am new cayman '08 owner … and have noticed these peculiarities also. many things seems backwards about porsche … key on left-side … key-door-lock opposite from most other cars … etc.

not here to knock the loyalists … obviously, porsche just prefers keeping herself in perspective.

in retrospect, santa_fe … thanks for the bit about exhaust emanating after "period of inactivity" … helped calm my soul … when starting her up last weekend.
Santa Fe hasn't been here for over 2 years now. This thread was started in 2006.

Reactions: Justinfranke78

·
Registered
31 Posts
Regarding Battery. Mine is dead again after only 4 days of not driving the car. Can the electronics really be draining the battery in less than a week of inactivity, or is there something else going on here? Had this happen twice before the battery was replaced last year.
That's too quick. I've left my car for a month and it still starts. Two possibilities - not being charged properly when driving, and something big depleting it when not.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts