Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure this has been discussed but I can't seem to find it. Can someone point me to a detailed comparison between the two versions.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
In a nutshell: 1) The Generation II Cayman has a completely new 9A1 engine without the troublesome IMS, etc., 2) A somewhat improved styling inside and out, 3) Larger engines (2.9L and 3.4L S model) with the latter a direct fuel injection like the new Carreras, and 4) PDK is available on 2009+ and LSD is available on 2010+ models. It's a no-brainer to get a 2009+ if you can!
:banana:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In a nutshell: 1) The Generation II Cayman has a completely new 9A1 engine without the troublesome IMS, etc., 2) A somewhat improved styling inside and out, 3) Larger engines (2.9L and 3.4L S model) with the latter a direct fuel injection like the new Carreras, and 4) PDK is available on 2009+ and LSD is available on 2010+ models. It's a no-brainer to get a 2009+ if you can!
:banana:
Thank you. I guess what I have been looking for is something of a comparison between the smaller detailed differences, brakes, etc. between the two versions. I bought the '09 and it seems to me as though the base '09 is pretty much what the prior S was in terms of equipment (minus the approximate 30 horesepower of course)

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Dwf

The difference between the Base and S Model prior to 2009 are as gasman1 posted Plus ....
1. the Brakes are smaller on the 2.7 liter in years 2007 and 08 In 2009 + they are the same as the S model
2.years 2006 to 2008 The S model has a white Gauge Cluster the 2.7 has a black cluster
3. a 6 speed is standard on the S Model but optional on the 2.7 although extremely rare. so the 2.7 liter is a 5 speed
Smaller 17" wheels are standard on the 2.7 liter .The S has 18"
The rest are just minor cosmetic Changes for the 2009 + ,Rear diffueser ,ouitside Mirrors are larger (due to new law) different shaped tail lights and slightly different front bumper cluster .
The big Change is the added Power and larger size Motor for the 2.7 to 2.9 and the optional PDK on all models as other posters have stated .I wish I had the bigger brakes as you do .

:cheers:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Dwf

The difference between the Base and S Model prior to 2009 are as gasman1 posted Plus ....
1. the Brakes are smaller on the 2.7 liter in years 2007 and 08 In 2009 + they are the same as the S model
2.years 2006 to 2008 The S model has a white Gauge Cluster the 2.7 has a black cluster
3. a 6 speed is standard on the S Model but optional on the 2.7 although extremely rare. so the 2.7 liter is a 5 speed
Smaller 17" wheels are standard on the 2.7 liter .The S has 18"
The rest are just minor cosmetic Changes for the 2009 + ,Rear diffueser ,ouitside Mirrors are larger (due to new law) different shaped tail lights and slightly different front bumper cluster .
The big Change is the added Power and larger size Motor for the 2.7 to 2.9 and the optional PDK on all models as other posters have stated .I wish I had the bigger brakes as you do .

:cheers:
Perfect--thank you. Given the larger brakes and the 6 speed in the base it made it even harder for me to consider the reach to the "S' just for the additional power. The other factor was I got such a fantastic deal on my '09 base that the upgrade to the "S" was going to be more than the usual $10K difference---more like $18K. I just couldn't justify it. I think the decision to upgrade to the "S" would have been easier prior to the '09 model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.