Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the Base and S Cayman in terms of brakes and suspension (non-PASM cars)?

I understand that:
Front discs (rotors) 298mm (base) and 318mm (S)
Rear discs 299mm (base) and 299mm (S)

but what about disc thicknesses? Are they all the same? Is the front caliper of the S bigger?

Do they share the same spring rates, anti-roll bars thicknesses, damper characteristics, ride heights? If not, what are the specs respectively?

TIA.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Differences

Overall height of the base car is the same as the non-PASM "S" car (51.4"), so the right height is the same unelss you get PASM. As you noted, brakes are a bit (6%) smaller in front, same size in the rear. The "S" brakes will probably perform better on the track, but for every day use the "base" car's brakes my be just as good because of the base car's lighter weight (110 lbs). The suspension does has different spring rates and stabilizer bars because of the base car's lighter weight. Porsche has always operated with the belief that "weight is our enemy".

I believe that that a base car with 18" "S" wheels will be as quick as the "S" anywhere but the track. Head to head on a twisty mountain road, the Cayman driver will be working a bit harder to keep the revs up on the 2.7, but isn't that what it's all about---driver involvement?

Base car = less weight, slightly better weight distribution (47/53 vs. 46/54), equal handling if you get the 18" wheels, $10,000 cheaper, better gas mileage, cheaper insurance, better daily driver. I could afford either and chose the base car.

·
Premium Member
2,674 Posts
I believe that that a base car with 18" "S" wheels will be as quick as the "S" anywhere but the track.
I have to respectfully disagree here.

I just drove the base and it is noticeably "slower" than the S in everyday driving. However, I do drive very agressively so if you are only driving at 6-7 tenths then maybe the difference is much less apparent in everyday driving I agree.

But when you push both, the S'es extra power is very much apparent IMHO.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Base cayman just as quick??? Unless you put Michael schumacher in the base Cayman against someone like David Coulthard in the Cayman S! Its almost saying that the 330i is almost as quick as the M3!
Not to mention the superior power-to weight ratio, the 6 speed gearbox and more torque lower down the rev range. The Cayman S also got bigger brakes, anti-roll bar and firmer dampers.
In fact, if you put bigger wheels on the base Cayman, you will inc. the unsprung mass; you might grip better but not necessary handles better. The wider tyres also inc. drag force and will lower your topspeed and acceleration!!!
Advantage of base Cayman: Better ride on standard wheel
Better fuel economy
Much better value(80% fun for much less dosh)
Normal people canot tell the diff between the
base and s

·
Registered
616 Posts
Point A to point B in the real world, a Cayman S will not be able to shake a Cayman.
The base Cayman will struggle to lose a Ford Focus ST or Mini Cooper S GP in real world driving(Same driver). I dare say the base cayman may even find the new 335 Turbo diesel too hot to handle!!!
Forget trying to compare with the S! For everyday driving, its torque to weight ratio that counts, not 0-60. Who is going to buy a bigger engine if there is no difference in driving experience? Of course you can always catch up when there is traffic ahead.
As long as you can accept this, the base Cayman is a fine car!!! If I cannot stretch to buy a S, I will be happy with the base Cayman!!!
eg. I will never race with a 997s in normal road cause it got more torque than my car. Even if there are plenty of corners, its handling is not too far behind the Cayman s!!!
Sometimes less is more!! eg. New TT but not in this case!!!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I have to respectfully disagree here.

I just drove the base and it is noticeably "slower" than the S in everyday driving. However, I do drive very agressively so if you are only driving at 6-7 tenths then maybe the difference is much less apparent in everyday driving I agree.

But when you push both, the S'es extra power is very much apparent IMHO.
I agree. Having just utilized a standard Cayman for a loaner, had it for 24 hours, it is not in the same league as the Cayman S. With that said it is still a quick and engaing car and I would not disparage it in any way. Lots of fun and it feels like a Porsche too. Great car, I was actually impressed. Its a fine car.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Since most owners with any time in the car are Cayman S owners I can respect that it's not very comforting to hear the base Cayman isn't all that different. I've tested both. I couldn't tell the difference. In fact, after the base test I contacted the salesman to be sure that's what we took out. He said it was and commented it was his first test drive in a base as well. He further said, he was surprised how quick the base was since he'd only been selling the S until the base arrived. I was able to redline the base car through several gears over a really twisty road - certainly faster than my normal daily driving. I kept thinking, "Boy would I love to take this to the track." IMHO, numbers aside, they are both great cars and either one rates a spot in my garage. I have yet to decide which one will end up in my garage. Perhaps the real advantage is when you tell someone you own a Cayman and they bounce back the question, "Is it an S?", it's easier to answer if you can say "Yes." :D

I also notice everyone seems to think that 18" wheels are a must. How many realize that the one inch difference in diameter between the stock 17" and the 18" has the same effect on the wheel's rotational inertia as increasing its weight by 10% at the outer radius. You want the lightest and widest and not the largest wheel, unless you are going for looks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Respectfully, I have driven my friend's Boxster many times, and I definately feel a huge difference in power beteen it and my Cayman S.

Since most owners with any time in the car are Caymen S owners I can respect that it's not very comforting to hear the base Caymen isn't all that different. I've tested both. I couldn't tell the difference. In fact, after the base test I contacted the salesman to be sure that's what we took out. He said it was and commented it was his first test drive in a base as well. He further said, he was surprised how quick the base was since he'd only been selling the S until the base arrived. I was able to redline the base car through several gears over a really twisty road - certainly faster than my normal daily driving. I kept thinking, "Boy would I love to take this to the track." IMHO, numbers aside, they are both great cars and either one rates a spot in my garage. I have yet to decide which one will end up in my garage. Perhaps the real advantage is when you tell someone you own a Caymen and they bounce back the question, "Is it an S?", it's easier to answer if you can say "Yes." :D

I also notice everyone seems to think that 18" wheels are a must. How many realize that the one inch difference in diameter between the stock 17" and the 18" has the same effect on the wheel's rotational inertia as increasing its weight by 10% at the outer radius. You want the lightest and widest and not the largest wheel, unless you are going for looks.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
One more thing, it's CayMAN, not CayMEN.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Reviving an old thread, but I just traded down from an 08 Cayman S Sport to a base model 07 Cayman and there is a very noticeable difference in power. The S has 6 speed, the base has 5 speed. More torque all over the rev range. Brakes feel about the same, as does handling (even though my S Sport had PASM).

There are few buttons on the dash for things like heated seats, Sport, PSM etc, and no Chrono. However, overall the cars are very similar to drive, and I prefer having that extra $29k cash that paid for a 2009 997.2 PDK to daily drive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts