Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '07 Cayman and my dad has a brand new '09 Cayman. Both are base models. I drive mine most of the time with the radio turned off. I just listen to the sound of the engine and exhaust. I bought the car used, but nothin' was ever mentioned about any aftermarket parts on the car. I drove my dad's yesterday, and the first thing I did was turn off the radio, like I do mine. I was surprised when I couldn't hear anything but wind. There was no engine noise and no exhaust noise. I'm pretty sure my exhaust is stock. It still sounds pretty choked up if I rev it, and it doesn't sound like any of the aftermarket exhausts I've heard. The difference in sound is very noticeable between the two cars. His is so quiet, I decided to turn the radio back on, 'cause it sounds better than just the wind. What is causin' the difference in sound?

·
Registered
976 Posts
The '09 base has a 2.9L engine compared to the 2.7L found in '06-'08 models. The 2.9 is not a DFI engine so the difference you're hearing is likely the change in displacement and revised oem exhaust design for '09+ cars.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The '09 base has a 2.9L engine compared to the 2.7L found in '06-'08 models. The 2.9 is not a DFI engine so the difference you're hearing is likely the change in displacement and revised oem exhaust design for '09+ cars.
Shouldn't the 2.9L be louder than the 2.7L, since it's a bigger engine? The revised exhaust could explain it. I looked under my '07, and everything looks stock. So it looks like Porsche tamed down the stock exhaust sound quite a bit.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked my wife to make a video of the exhaust on the '07. This is the first time I've heard what it sounds like outside of the car bein' revved. Unfortunately, I don't have a clip of my dad's car to compare it to.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Yeah I concur you have an agressive sounding car. Any chance you could snap a couple pictures of what it looks like under there? Would be pretty easy to identify aftermarket headers and most catbacks differ greatly from the oem design (speedart being one exception to this).

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are the best pictures I can get from under the car right now.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wonder if his second set of cats fell out with a screwdriver. lots of people do this their WRX's.

ssmv650
Is there any way of bein' able to tell? Shouldn't the dealer have told me if that were the case, or would they have even known?

We don't have inspections here, so it's really not that big of a deal. However, it would be nice to know in case I ever move away and still have the car.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
That is an idea. Little cat abortion. Hmm, post O2 sensors so no harm. Just because this is a cheap thing to do, I would not discount it. I can see a drone free, cheap 15 HP mod.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Flea,

Your car doesn't sound stock to me... But the other factor is that the gen2 cars are significantly quieter than the gen1. I placed an order prior to the 2009 models coming out and when my car came I was surpised at how quiet it was, and not in a good way. I'm currently looking into an FVD exhaust to up the sound factor. In the gen1 cars it was difficult to carry on a conversation but in the gen2 you almost forget it's a sports car when cruising around.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It doesn't really sound like a choked up stock exhaust when revvin' it, but it gets quieter once I get goin' down the road. It doesn't have the "scream" that the aftermarket exhausts have.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The car was purchased with the CPO warranty, and I haven't changed anything on it. Would they warranty the vehicle with a non-stock exhaust?

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Flea said:
The car was purchased with the CPO warranty, and I haven't changed anything on it. Would they warranty the vehicle with a non-stock exhaust?
You have to read your CPo contract to find out what it says it covers and what it doesn't

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sound insulation inside the car?

From the drivers seat, the music I hear in my '07 CS is more intake and mechanical engine sound, not exhaust note (pretty typical of mid engine cars). The exhaust is pretty quiet. So maybe either the intake is designed differently, or the cockpit in the 2009 is better isolated from the engine bay?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.