Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at options for fun project. I have a high mileage (140,000 miles) 2006 Cayman S manual transmission that is still running strong but as I said I want a project. Looking at the current engine swap ideas: LS3, Audi V8, Honda K series, I am just not feeling any of them. The LS: I don't want to cut the firewall and lessen the seat travel and therefor leg room. The Honda: I HATE turbo charged engines for light autocross / DE and i have been there done that with the Honda's. The Audi V8 is quickly limited as to power with little aftermarket support.

I did come across an idea I have not seen done and not sure if it can be done (reasonably). The Audi 3.0T engine.

Good:
V-6 that looks short overall
Supercharged (some people do and don't like this)
Can easily and reliably make 450 hp and 400 torque with a smooth curve
Lots of donor cars available
I think it will bolt to Cayman transmission.
Lots of aftermarket support

Bad:
might be Tall
Supercharged (some people do and don't like this)
Wiring will probably be the tough point but I enjoy a challenge.
Haven't heard of anyone doing this combination so there will be lots of trail and error.
Not to many donors come with manual transmissions, so extra computer programming to have done.

So does anyone know more about this or have you looked into it? II am willing to try something totally new but looking for any info that is out there.

RH

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
You mentioned it but I will chime in: I think the height will be a big problem. The engine space for the Cayman is pretty tight. You may also have an issue with axle angles if the engine needs to be moved around to fit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poorsche x, I have read through that entire thread. Lots of good info, but he still has not finished the project.

Racergreg, I am hoping to keep the transmission in the same location. Raising the engine is only a concern to cutting the structural items of the car and moving the center of gravity up. Unfortunately getting accurate dimensions of the 3.0t has not worked out as of yet.

Anyone have good measurements of an Audi 3.0t?

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S
43 Posts
Escy - Interesting! How have you gone about installing the intercoolers? Experiencing heat soak? Care to share additional photos from the underside?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm using a pair of water to air charge coolers from a V12 Mercedes S600. No issues with heat soak but it's taken loads of development to get it working well.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
448 Posts
So your looking for a different engine, just because? The challenge? I stuck a different motor in an MR2 (2GR)...these swaps aren’t always a fun time... personally I’d just get another F6...

cool swaps above^

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking for something different, and I love a challenge. Second a M96 is very limited in what you can safely get out of it HP wise, something that can be easily upgraded and still be reliable would be great fun in a platform as capable the Cayman.

·
Registered
27 Posts
how about an ev conversion? You’d be one of the first to do a cayman, it has monster torque and power, and it will fit, and lots of opportunity for future upgrades as battery tech improves.

Looking for something different, and I love a challenge. Second a M96 is very limited in what you can safely get out of it HP wise, something that can be easily upgraded and still be reliable would be great fun in a platform as capable the Cayman.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
how about an ev conversion? You’d be one of the first to do a cayman, it has monster torque and power, and it will fit, and lots of opportunity for future upgrades as battery tech improves.
There are a few companies selling bolt in EV conversions kits for the 911 and VW Beetle with trans adapter/motor for about 12K so its doable. This guy did his own custom conversion on his 911

·
Registered
2008 Cayman S and 2010 GT3
448 Posts
The EV route might be cool. The biggest problem I have with EV cars, say goodbye to your 2900lb car. If you want bigger power it’ll probably weigh in the neighborhood of 3500-4000lbs. The characteristics would be compromised a lot.... Porsche cars have a special place for me, so if I were to perform such a task I’d get another MR2. Seriously one of the great chassis’s ever... I’ve had one for a long time.. better than my CS or GT3?.... hell no, but for the money, they can take u a long way

·
Registered
97 Posts
Dare to be different? Small diesel? Diesel-electric hybrid ev? Rotary? Ford Coyote? Cmon its just money!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Josh,

I have already been talking with you about the suspension :) I looked at an LS but feel I want something different. Being that I am thinking mainly for track toy and long back road adventures, the EV and Diesel options are out. I have the 20-25k budget for the engine swap but still don't know what I want. True the LS has insane potential but everyone has done as LS swap (even if there are not that many Caymans) Having an engine that matches our factory rev range is more what I am after.

·
Vendor
540 Posts
I try to talk everyone out of LS swaps. Do an Audi RS5 4.2; 444bhp and 8250RPM :)

Josh,

I have already been talking with you about the suspension :) I looked at an LS but feel I want something different. Being that I am thinking mainly for track toy and long back road adventures, the EV and Diesel options are out. I have the 20-25k budget for the engine swap but still don't know what I want. True the LS has insane potential but everyone has done as LS swap (even if there are not that many Caymans) Having an engine that matches our factory rev range is more what I am after.

·
Vendor
540 Posts
BTW Ryan, we'd be happy to do the swap for you.. Give me a call if you want to chat about it.

Josh,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts