Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what is the difference between springs? some people say HR, Eibach, etc etc

i want a spring that improves the stability and is low (but not too low)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Spring rates would be slightly different between the brands.

As a suggestion, you may want to look into the X73 suspension's springs only as well if vendors are able to sell those separately.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I don't know if my butt spring calibrator can distinguish between Eibach or H&R spring rates. I got my H&Rs for a lowered look and the ride firmed up a bit where it was noticeable.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I don't know if my butt spring calibrator can distinguish between Eibach or H&R spring rates. I got my H&Rs for a lowered look and the ride firmed up a bit where it was noticeable.
I've had both and traditionally H&R springs are a bit stiffer. Eibach likes to keep it as OEM as possible.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I had H&R springs on my first Cayman and ended up getting Coilovers instead. The problem I found with the springs was that it lowered the height of the car but the dampers themselves stayed the same so the rebound was affected. The springs made the dampers lower so you do not get the full travel of the damper. As a result my car bottomed out a lot and was bouncy. With X73 suspension the dampers fit the springs so you get full travel and rebound from the damper. At the time the X73 suspension was not available yet so I got coilovers which are adjustable. Coilovers can all be setup specifically how you want ecuase they are adjustable. I hope I used the right terminology to explain.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,932 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, lowering an otherwise stock Cayman does not improve stability - it makes it worse as the roll center drops and the roll couple increases. Lowering a Porsche on the same rate springs makes it roll more, not less.

If the lowering springs are a higher rate, then the stiffer springs better resisting the increased roll is what you are feeling. Lower it too far and you lose dynamic camber gain during compression. This is why so many folks kill their tires during DE.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Contrary to popular belief, lowering an otherwise stock Cayman does not improve stability - it makes it worse as the roll center drops and the roll couple increases. Lowering a Porsche on the same rate springs makes it roll more, not less.

If the lowering springs are a higher rate, then the stiffer springs better resisting the increased roll is what you are feeling. Lower it too far and you lose dynamic camber gain during compression. This is why so many folks kill their tires during DE.

Cheers,
It's a common misconception that lower and stiffer = better handling anyway. Quite a few people I have spoken to think so even though the overall coherence of their cars have been thrown off pretty badly after some random mods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts