Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you guys kill me for starting another tire size thread... I really did just read through like 5 long *** threads about tire sizes, but didn't see anything about using a wider tire on the stock 18"s.. I know there are wider 18" wheels out there which would require a wider tire, but my question is, who uses a wider tire size, which brand on the stock 18"s. Thanks!

Oh, this is for DE, I will be using something else for street driving. Thanks!

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have OEM Cayman S wheels for the track and run 275/40-18 rear and 245/40-18 front, with no issues. I'm running Nitto NT-05's, which are not R comps but seem to be pretty grippy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have OEM Cayman S wheels for the track and run 275/40-18 rear and 245/40-18 front, with no issues. I'm running Nitto NT-05's, which are not R comps but seem to be pretty grippy.
Im also interested in running larger tires on my stock 18s.
How would you compare the ride quality and handling to the stock tire size?

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Thanks Gil! I'll look into those... anyone else use a different size or tire?
You can usually find the recommended minimum wheel width for a given tire on the manufacturers website or places like Tire Rack.

The Cayman S wheels are 8" F and 9.5" R, so I believe the max width tires you can squeeze on would be 245 F and 285 R. The NT01 doesn't have a 285 size, but you can get the NT05 or the Hankook R-S3 (both are sort of street/track hybrids IMO) in 285/35, which matches up pretty well with either the 235 or 245 in the front.

Im also interested in running larger tires on my stock 18s.
How would you compare the ride quality and handling to the stock tire size?
Based on my experience with my 245/285 NT05s, they are noticeably harsher and noisier than my regular size street tires (Bridgestones). That may partly be due to their construction and tread design as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Andrew is correct, the Nitto's are noisy, but they are track tires for me so I don't care.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Andrew & Gil... how would you guys compare that tire to the PS2 that came with the wheel? Has anyone tried the HTR ZIII Sumis?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I actually purchased a set Sumitumo HTR ZIII tires last summer and have put about 5000 miles on them so far. They handle very well in wet and in dry. I even got caught in a snow storm and I was surprised how well they did for summer tires. The road noise is minimal and the high tread wear is a plus. For the price you cant beat em' imo.

I sound like one of the reviews from tire rack:hilarious:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Havent had a chance to take it to the track yet but I did manage to get one AX event before winter. They performed exceptionally well. It felt very planted no matter how hard I pushed it. They never felt like they were going to break loose. Hopefully I'll be able to get some track time once the weather warms up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks Andrew & Gil... how would you guys compare that tire to the PS2 that came with the wheel? Has anyone tried the HTR ZIII Sumis?
I only have 600 miles on the Nitto's, and in very cold weather to boot so I can't really compare them yet, but they certainly look like they will compare favorably to the PS2's on the track. As I previously noted they are noisier on the street.

FWIW, I put the new Hankook's on for street tires and so far I am very happy with them.

I have to disagree with Andrew on one very small issue; The stock CS wheels are 9" rears not 9.5".

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Gil. I think the Sumis or Hankooks would be totally fine for daily driving... curious how they compare to the PS2's on the track. I've read a good number of reviews that state they are comparable, and I just find it extremely hard to believe given the huge price difference. I may just have to try it... and if they suck, put them on my DD rims, and get the Nittos...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks Gil. I think the Sumis or Hankooks would be totally fine for daily driving... curious how they compare to the PS2's on the track. I've read a good number of reviews that state they are comparable, and I just find it extremely hard to believe given the huge price difference. I may just have to try it... and if they suck, put them on my DD rims, and get the Nittos...
It has been over four years since I had a set of PS2's so I can't give an accurate comparison. All that I remember is that the PS2's had amounts amazing of grip but the tread life didn't last long and since my car is a daily driver I just didn't see the point in spending so much on a tire that I would have to replace every year.
IMHO the best thing about the Sumis is the price. 4 Sumis tires cost the same as only 2 PS2's

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
. . . I have to disagree with Andrew on one very small issue; The stock CS wheels are 9" rears not 9.5".
I stand corrected . . . I was going by the apparently faulty info on our FAQ:
Wheel Options (which I will try to correct) - it appears only the 19" wheels are 9.5 wide.

In that case, probably only 275s will fit in most cases, not 285s (I have 285s on my RS98 rims, but they are 10" wide).

·
Registered
210 Posts
My tires are stock size. I've been debating if I should get my next set of tires 1 size up

Yea its me. So how bout this weather we've been having. Its great isn't it.
My car is still buried under 3 feet of snow. :( i miss having a garage

1 - 16 of 16 Posts