Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My backup plan for not catching up with the GT3 is to go for a 991 turbo. I'd appreciate everybody's help.

The options list & my questions:

Rhodium Silver Metallic
Two-tone leather interior in Black - Garnet Red
DELIMMA => I'd love the red exterior on the turbo but also love the two-toned black/garnet red interior. I am afraid it would be overkill. Has anybody seen/ordered such? If so, how did it look?

ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera
Adaptive cruise control including Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
DELIMMA => a front plate is a must here. Did anybody order the above and installed a front plate with no restrictions?

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)
DELIMMA => is it a must-have? We have terrible streets here. Does it increase driving comfort?

Power steering Plus
DELIMMA => is it a must-have or just for women (no offense)?

LED main headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS+)
DELIMMA => Did anybody order it and found it is not worth the money?

Instrument dial Sport Chrono stop clock in Guards Red Exclusive
Steering wheel rim with guards red deviating stitching Exclusive
DELIMMA => does the guards red clash with the garnet red interior?

Key pouch in leather Exclusive
DELIMMA => Anybody has pictures?

Online Services
DELIMMA => Anybody ordered this? How useful was it?

Porsche Entry & Drive
20-inch 911 Turbo wheel
Wheel Caps
Electric slide/tilt glass sunroof
Model designation on doors in black Exclusive
Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
Sport Chrono Paket
Fire extinguisher
Luggage net passenger footwell
Smoking package
Light design package
Floor mats
Vehicle key painted: Guards Red
Fully electric Sports seats (14-way, electric)
Mobile phone preparation

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Comments below in red

Rhodium Silver Metallic
DELIMMA => I'd love the red exterior on the turbo but also love the two-toned black/garnet red interior. I am afraid it would be overkill. Has anybody seen/ordered such? If so, how did it look?

Classic silver and red is Silver TT and carrera red interior. Rhodium is too bluish. Read this thread. About every possible combination is in there including PTS and LTS. I've had all red interior (in other cars) and loved red exterior and red interior. I find most of the sports colors way to bland.

Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC)
DELIMMA => is it a must-have? We have terrible streets here. Does it increase driving comfort?

Not necessarily. You'll need to read about this. Some people like it, some don't like the repair bills.

Power steering Plus

Meh

DELIMMA => Did anybody order it and found it is not worth the money?

The plus part is just turning off the high beams automatically? Sounds worthless. However, those who got LEDs love them but they are not brighter. More bling than functional.

Key pouch in leather Exclusive
DELIMMA => Anybody has pictures?

hehe, save your money :)

Online Services
DELIMMA => Anybody ordered this? How useful was it?

Not sure about EU but the yearly cost doesn't seen worth it, but it might be for the hybrid cars. Its not talked about much because I don't think anyone orders it.

Porsche Entry & Drive
20-inch 911 Turbo wheel
Wheel Caps
Sport Chrono Paket
Fire extinguisher
Smoking package
Light design package
Floor mats
Vehicle key painted: Guards Red
Fully electric Sports seats (14-way, electric)
Mobile phone preparation

good luck

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
Seems to be quite the dilemma for choices. I will offer you this opinion after my ride in the new Turbo S Cabriolet last night...

None of the choices matter. The car's acceleration is so blindingly intense and g-force inducing in both acceleration and stopping that none of the extras matter! You will be unable to see any of them or even raise your hands to use them. The lights outside the car become a blur like the Star Trek Enterprise going into warp speed. You cannot raise your hands off the console as you are rocketed off the launch pad. Elegant beauty and savage force in one package. Awesome car.

In fact, my ride yesterday rendered my Cayman S limp. I want to hate the Turbo S for making my CS obsolete but it is soooo nice. BTW, I still love my car!

All kidding aside, good luck with her and enjoy the new car.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
My Dilemma was whether or not to give Hassaan a hard time about spelling dilemma. :) I fixed the thread title for you Hassaan but you'll have to edit your own post to fix the spelling there if you wish. :)

Good luck with purchasing your porker, I still think you should go with a GT3... but that's me and yes I know you think they are sold out and have long waiting lists, but what I will say is that if there is a will, there is a way...

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Comments below in red

Rhodium Silver Metallic

Classic silver and red is Silver TT and carrera red interior. Rhodium is too bluish. Read this thread. About every possible combination is in there including PTS and LTS. I've had all red interior (in other cars) and loved red exterior and red interior. I find most of the sports colors way to bland.

First of all, thank you for your detailed response and for the link you provided. I'm know about that thread, it serves as a warning as much as it is tempting to opt for PTS. Some combos and colors are horrible. However, I'd be losing enough sleep while waiting for the delivery, I don't want to add doubts about whether I made the right color choice or not ;)

Neither the thread you provided nor a search online provided any picture for a red 991 on an interior in Black/Garnet Red. :( Unless I see one, the bluish silver maybe a good change from my previous Arctic Silver. I'll check it at the dealer tomorrow anyway.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My Dilemma was whether or not to give Hassaan a hard time about spelling dilemma. :)
YIKES! :(

I still think you should go with a GT3... but that's me and yes I know you think they are sold out and have long waiting lists, but what I will say is that if there is a will, there is a way...
Not all women have G-Spots. Not all men have GT3 Spots, for some have turbos :D

Maybe due to the GT3's very low ground clearance, the 991 turbo could suit me better. I spent so far 8 hours on the configurator and online checking videos / reviews. I think I'm convinced with the turbo. Final decision/action next week inshallah.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
My backup plan for not catching up with the GT3 is to go for a 991 turbo. I'd appreciate everybody's help.
Power steering Plus
It's not clear what it's for... my 1.5 y.o son had no trouble steering the car without it:

Also I'm pretty sure that dynamic chassis control is track oriented feature. Street comfort is what PASM for.

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Better choice going with the turbo. I was going to give you a hard time for saying the turbo looks too girlie compared to the GT3.

I’ve seen the red on red and the reds don’t match up well. If I had to have a two tone interior with the red exterior, I would go black/beige for less glare on the black dash. Single color interior would be always black. I haven’t seen a silver over black/red yet.

I have the park assist with the camera since rear visibility is not great. No help on the front plate.

I never drive with any cruise control on, but having the active might make sense in crowded road conditions with a lot of stop and go driving.

PDCC is an active anti-roll bar for cornering. There is a button for a stiffer suspension which is enough for me.

I have Power steering plus and on the Cayenne too. It would be a personal preference…it makes for a little less effort at slow speeds than the Cayman.

I have PDLS+ also and it is more of an appearance statement with the 4-light ring daylight driving lights compared to the base setup.

Key pouch and painted key is not worth it. I got the painted key sides from ebay for less than $25. The key never leaves my pocket with the entry and drive.

Isn’t the mobile phone operation needed if the car is going to have it’s own sim card? The standard Bluetooth is enough with my phone.

I hope the fire extinguisher is never needed but who knows after seeing the GT3 and 918 fires.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's not clear what it's for... my 1.5 y.o son had no trouble steering the car without it
Your son is ADORABLE !!! I miss the days when my son was that young... now he is a teenager who believes I shouldn't buy a Porsche for the sake of the environment :(

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Better choice going with the turbo. I was going to give you a hard time for saying the turbo looks too girlie compared to the GT3.
LOOK WHO'S HERE?!! Good to catch you on P9 again! It seems everybody stayed and moved up the ladder except me who left for a while. CONGRATS on the 991 turbo. Please post pictures in and out of your beast here with the list of options you opted for. Any options you regret adding or not having?

You know me enough not to get offended by my passion about cars. Honestly, I can't say there is a perfect Porsche for me as I find:
1) the 981 is better looking than the 991. But just like a beautiful girl who doesn't excite you in bed, the 981 is just beautiful but has no power.
2) the GT3 is more masculine than the turbo. And I find the turbo too much of a Carrera from the front. Yet the turbo's ground clearance is very suitable for the streets right here.
3) The GT3 is an animal like no other than has the looks and power but impractical ground clearance for me... still I went after it but I was turned down due to missing the cut-off date.

I’ve seen the red on red and the reds don’t match up well. If I had to have a two tone interior with the red exterior, I would go black/beige for less glare on the black dash. Single color interior would be always black. I haven’t seen a silver over black/red yet.
I just saw a 991 turbo video with red on red racing a red GT-R... I agree, it didn't look good. I'm guessing the red exterior is aggressive and suitable more for the GT3. Therefore, I am opting for the silver. Now whether GT or Rhodium, I'll decide at the dealer when I see both samples.

I have the park assist with the camera since rear visibility is not great. No help on the front plate.
I saw a picture of it online. The plate can be installed on the bumper and above the camera without affecting its functionality as per the feedback of the owner on a different forum.

II never drive with any cruise control on, but having the active might make sense in crowded road conditions with a lot of stop and go driving.
I'm after this Porsche Active Safe (PAS) too.

IPDCC is an active anti-roll bar for cornering. There is a button for a stiffer suspension which is enough for me.
In my case, I need a smoother ride not stiffer for the streets. Therefor, I guess the PDCC is not for me.

II have Power steering plus and on the Cayenne too. It would be a personal preference…it makes for a little less effort at slow speeds than the Cayman.
I'll pass.

II have PDLS+ also and it is more of an appearance statement with the 4-light ring daylight driving lights compared to the base setup.
Very likely, I am opting for the Bi-Xenon headlights in black incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS). I'm guessing ihe dark lights would like nice on the Rhodium Silver. But I'll Google that for pictures first.

IKey pouch and painted key is not worth it. I got the painted key sides from ebay for less than $25. The key never leaves my pocket with the entry and drive.
Saw the pictures online... I'll pass.

IIsn’t the mobile phone operation needed if the car is going to have it’s own sim card? The standard Bluetooth is enough with my phone.
I thought the Mobile phone preparation is the bluetooth added function. No?

II hope the fire extinguisher is never needed but who knows after seeing the GT3 and 918 fires.
Amen

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tech Miami (and others who ordered the turbo), which wheels did you go for?

I find all possible three wheels are ugly. And neither it comes mutt or can be colored in black completely... the GT3 wheels are far better looking!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
You might be able to get the center lock GT3 wheels as an option or at least get them later.

My car was a cancelled order and had the options I wanted plus a few more like the seat heating (I am in Miami) and the PDLS+. But after looking for a month, I couldn’t pass it up. Here are some pics.

http://www.planet-9.com/club-911-general-discussion/91646-my-991-turbo-987-turbo-pics.html

the options:

991 Turbo
White
Leather interior in Black
20-inch 911 Turbo Wheel
Wheel Center Caps with Full-Color Porsche Crest
Seat Heating (front)
Seat Ventilation (Front)
Full LED headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS +)
Porsche Entry & Drive
ParkAssist (Front and Rear) incl. Reversing Camera
Sport Chrono Package
Sunroof in glass
Power Steering Plus

As for the GT3 being more masculine, I always saw the 997 GT3 as a Carrera with the Porsche aero package, since that was the first GT3 look-a-like I saw in the show room next to the Cayman I was going to place an offer. A big wing, a few slits in the back bumper, and a few more scoops in the front made the look.

The 991 turbo doesn’t look girlie with the active aero wing, quad exhaust, blacked out intercooler vents compared to the GT3 dual exhaust tips and same slits as on a 997 version. The side intake, like the 981, differentiates the turbo from a Carrera/GT3. That leaves the front bumper again with a few more scoops over a turbo. There is a sport design front bumper option for a Carrera which is identical to a GT3 but the active aero wing would be lost if it would fit on a turbo.

I don't feel I'm missing anything. I still have the Cayman which is a more frantic ride than the 991.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Tach, you have a turbo Cayman, correct? How is the driving experience from an engine point of view compare with the 991 turbo? Sorry if this is a thread hijack. Pm or start another thread if you feel like responding, but not here.

Hassan, your build looks terrific. Of your options, I'd personally go with GT silver and red interior. Classic colors.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
DONE... ORDERED :banana:

Details are as follows, but first of all THANKS to all of you who helped me with the configuration on this thread.

I called my chipmunk teenager son on the way to the dealer to get his blessings for he was totally against buying a Porsche for humanitarian and environmental reasons as some of you already know. I couldn't go through with the order without his blessings. Then got to the dealer and saw a 991 turbo S in GT Silver. Yes it looked grand but the color was too dark for my taste and I couldn't justify the chunk of money for it. I could add a bit more and opt for PTS but the that would be another nightmare of doubts to go through. The dealer tried to convince me with yellow exterior but since my red interior is a must-have for me, I couldn't stop thinking of a burger (with mustard and ketchup) as a nickname for the car. Plus it would change the image I want for myself driving the car. I had to settle for the Rhodium. Yes I found it bluish, true, but I need a fresh change from my previous Arctic Silver.

The next dilemma was that he tried to convince me out of the Adaptive cruise control including Porsche Active Safe (PAS). He received customers complaints that at high speed, the lens was not functioning due to the bugs/flies and after a while it had to be replaced due to being sand blasted at high speed. Did anybody hear this or experience this? But I opted for it in the end.

The next dilemma was the center lock turbo wheels. Looks good but impractical as I could be in the middle of nowhere and no tire shop can change it in case of an emergency. But I went for it saying to myself that I might have a mishap once a year which I can live with but I can't live with wheels I don't like every day just because they're not CL.

The next dilemma was the LED PDLS+ vs the Xenon PDLS. I saw the daylights on both and I didn't see the LED PDLS+'s daylight was good like the one on the Aventador or Huracan. However in fear of finding the Xenon dated in the future I went for it.

Lastly, was the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC). He's against it for normal driving. I am not interested either but afraid to regret not having it after a while. However, for now I decided not to go for it the price was becoming close to the turbo S :( Yet, if anybody would advise to go for it based on first hand experience, please do.

So exactly today noon (I looked at my watch) I paid the deposit for the following. The delivery date to be confirmed either on Monday or Tuesday inshallah as it is a weekend today in Germany. Can't wait !!!

Rhodium Silver Metallic
Porsche Entry & Drive
ParkAssist (front and rear) with reversing camera
Electrically folding exterior mirrors
Sport Chrono Paket
20-inch 911 Turbo S wheels
Inflatable spare tire added
Adaptive cruise control including Porsche Active Safe (PAS)
Fire extinguisher
Smoking package
Light design package
Floor mats
Instrument dial Sport Chrono stop clock in Guards Red Exclusive
Sports seats Plus (4-way, electric)
Leather interior package in two-tone combination
Steering wheel rim with deviating stitching Exclusive (Chosen color: Guards Red)
Mobile phone preparation
Online Services

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
in the links below you guys could see the rhodium on the Black - Garnet Red. Poor quality images and video but this is the best I could find:

Cars for Sale: 2015 Porsche 911 Coupe in Orland Park, IL 60462: Coupe Details - 382719571 - AutoTrader.com

2014 Porsche 911 - Orland Park IL - YouTube
I like the black/red interior, I've had that combo on a different car before and it looks nice. It looks like you've put together a fine build even though you had to settle for silver instead of the more appropriate yellow. :)

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just heard from the dealer. It's been confirmed the production month will be January 2015.

Any idea how far the delivery date would be from the production month?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Congrats, that will be a beautiful car. Your dealer should be able to give a complete estimated time line including arrival at dealer. For USA they usually quote about 60 days and often beat that. It can vary by location though. My 09 Cayman got held up in Malaysia as it was one of the first 09s and was MT. Good luck with the wait!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts