Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice here. I was traveling down I-85 last month and a dump truck had some gravel blow out from under his tarp which peppered my car. I went from the standard chips on the bottom of the hood to a sandblasted bumper, hood, both front fenders and both rear quarter panels.

I received a notification that they would determine my diminished value after the repairs are completed. Of course I am concerned they will say there is none because I am up to 99,534 mi and the car is a 2009. I plan to disagree as if I needed to sell the car tomorrow I would have to discount for the unoriginal paint and it isn't a civic or prius.

What do you guys think I should ask for, or is fair. Anyone have any real world experience?

edit: I couldn't convince them to repaint the entire car which is what is the biggest concern. The hood will be stripped and painted, but I believe the rest will be sprayed and cleared based on what insurance will pay for. I fought for 3 weeks for them to cover more but they basically said they are trying to make it as it was not give me an upgrade.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's my best guesstimate after preparing thousands of auto diminished value reports. Minor repairs to most late-model cars will result in a 10%-15% loss in value. However, higher-end cars (as well as some others such as Subaru) are purchased by more discriminating buyers who are mostly savvy shoppers and can usually afford to buy unblemished cars. If you take your perfectly repaired car to a dealer they will likely gig the car 15%+ from the pre-accident trade-in value. All of our reports are prepared using input from sales managers who are the real experts at buying, selling, trading and auctioning cars and always hold up in court. I hope that this information is helpful and good luck.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Please clarify: are you dealing w/ the dump truck's ins or yours? Assume the former.

·
Registered
104 Posts
This is good information to have. Although there is paint work, the good news is that you are not dealing with accident damage. If the shop does a good job of prep, paint, and matching, I would think this would not be a deal breaker for a prospective buyer. Assuming your car is worth $30,000 just for an example, 15% would be $4,500, which sounds reasonable as a likely discount to sale price.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I would think that an 8 year old car with near 100K miles that has been painted but had no body damage, would see little or no diminished value. A photo of the before damage along with the insurance would have put me at ease if I were the next buyer. Having said that, it will be interesting to see what you can get the insurance company to come up with. Good Luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the responses guys. I will keep this thread updated as time progresses.

Rick, that was part of my concern is the car is 8 years and almost 100k however I still think due to the value there is still diminished value. If it was an 8 year old 100k civic worth 6500 I probably wouldn't even consider it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If you are going to sell it someday on your own I see no reason it should be diminished? My wife was driving down the highway and some hit a barrier and it hit the windshield of her Q-3 and broke it and put a scuff / small dent on the roof. It was fixed and reported to carfax. All I did was take pictures to show to the buyer. Perfectly repaired and was no issue. To the right buyer it should not matter. To me if the work was done well I would like that the nose is fresh... ! Wouldn't matter to me at all.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Well I'm currently navigating an accident claim for my once nearly mint 2012 CS BE with 26,000 miles of dent free driving. I was driving slowly through a parking area perpendicular to parked cars and had just slowed enough to pull into a spot when I heard and felt right rear impact. A young lady backed into my car. ARGHHH! The damage is minimal, but just the thought of my car being damaged and the resultant process of restoring the car along with any possible quality issues, insurance issues and diminished value makes this a losing proposition. During the insurance claim interview I asked about diminished value and was told it's not an issue since the car will be restored to pre-accident condition. That's when I pointed out by virtue of the repair the car is not as it was and is only a restored version of a car that never had any repair. The representative stated I would have to prove diminished value. Seems like the insurance company holds all the cards. The person then suggested maybe I should contact the other driver's insurance company. So here's the damage: Scratched bumper with a 1 inch or so cut in it and a small dent like crease in the right rear panel directly above the light housing. The dent is approximately 1.5 - 2 inches and could probably be corrected with PDR, but I believe there will be paint work and probably a full bumper replacement. And finally the wheel well liner was damaged and will require replacement. Fortunately the car is driving as if nothing happened and I recently installed my winter wheels so no damage to the 'good' wheels. What happened to the picture link function?

[url=https://xjfive.smugmug.com/Porsche/n-BW2Tn/i-XZxZg2C/A][/URL]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.