Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was very disappointed with the broadcast of the Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge race. Not only it was all fragmented when recorded for later viewing, but the coverage and commentating was poor.

1. There was no comment on the fact that there was a team “BGB Racing” campaigning a brand new car to the series “Porsche Cayman S”. There were plenty of comments about KIA, Audi, Camaro and others but nothing about the Porsche Cayman S. Why???

2. In a race that the first 11 qualifiers were all V8 powered, there was no mention that the first non V8 qualifier was one of the two new Cayman S Porsches entered in the race. Not only is the Cayman S new to the series, but it is campaigned by one of the smaller teams. Why was this ignored?

3. With about 50 minutes left in the race the number 23 Porsche Cayman S campaigned by BGB racing was running in the 5th position. I am sure that if it was one of the new Camaros something would have been said about it. Why was the Porsche Cayman S so ignored during the broadcast?

4. With approximately 30 minutes left in the race one of the two Porsche Cayman S had posted the fastest lap. I don’t know if he kept the fastest lap because there was no other mention of it. The commentators would have been all over it had this been accomplished by one of the other new entries or a Mustang. Why?

Together with the many Porsche owners that attend the races, I also watch them on TV with the hopes of seeing my favorite cars in action. The fact that the broadcast ignored the Cayman S so completely really turned me off. It seemed to me that the commentators were trying to make the news (or in this case the race) rather than report it. I am very disappointed. Unless coverage/reporting becomes less bias I will not be watching the races again.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I 100% agree with you!

The sad part is that one of the caymans was in an accident, they did not even show it or mention anything about it at all. I figured a car with the front bumper smashed in would have made it on..

The word Cayman was not even mentioned once :-(

the Days of the V8's I guess :-(

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Does Speed Channel and/or Grand-Am have some sort of feedback mechanism? I would think that both would be interested in fans vowing to tune-out or turn off their series due to the way it is being broadcasted, perhaps someone can start one of those online petitions or something and send them the link/results and see what they say.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
what type of car won ?

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
Does Speed Channel and/or Grand-Am have some sort of feedback mechanism? I would think that both would be interested in fans vowing to tune-out or turn off their series due to the way it is being broadcasted, perhaps someone can start one of those online petitions or something and send them the link/results and see what they say.
I e-mailed them a while back with concern over expanded coverage of "alternative " race series exposure. Unfortunatly it was met without response. But hey maybe if more people did this and we petitioned them maybe fox/speed would listen? I will e-mail there programming director again and see what happens.....

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Speed caters to NASCAR nation with just a bone thrown for the rest of us occasionally. Look at the crappy car themed reality TV like junk they put on.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Speed caters to NASCAR nation with just a bone thrown for the rest of us occasionally. Look at the crappy car themed reality TV like junk they put on.
And don't even get me started on their Motorcycle coverage. We get faux reality shows like SuperBikes glorifying douchebaggery but only highlights of most races :mad:

The poor Porsche coverage is sad but I'm doubtful if Speed cares. We're not their target audience.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
And don't even get me started on their Motorcycle coverage. We get faux reality shows like SuperBikes glorifying douchebaggery but only highlights of most races :mad:

The poor Porsche coverage is sad but I'm doubtful if Speed cares. We're not their target audience.
If we aren't their target audience maybe we should start our own cable racing channel that does cater to this audience. Anyone know what it takes to start a new cable channel??

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
If we aren't their target audience maybe we should start our own cable racing channel that does cater to this audience. Anyone know what it takes to start a new cable channel??
I'm just guessing here:

1. $$$
2. More $$$
3. A marketable concept (good potential viewer demographics)
4. Advertisers
5. Even more $$$

or, maybe if you are directly related to Ted Turner . . .

;)

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Group Buy ?

I always thought that NASCAR should have their own channel. Speed Channel caters too much to muscle car enthusiast. If you watch the Barrett Jackson Auction you would see a European car on the ramp ready to be presented and they would cut to a commercial.

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
Ks-cs

:(All this just pisses me off .
I have some Very Rich relatives I am going to contact this week K-Man S has a good point we need to get proactive here .
I agree we need our own Porsche Racing channel .

Speed channel has shown its true colors:(
they are simply out of touch with the real world

·
Registered
184 Posts
Re: Ks-cs

:(All this just pisses me off .
I have some Very Rich relatives I am going to contact this week K-Man S has a good point we need to get proactive here .
I agree we need our own Porsche Racing channel .

Speed channel has shown its true colors:(
they are simply out of touch with the real world
Your outrage is about 8 years too late. While I have no interest in Nascar I would say that Speed is not the one that is out of touch. From their Wikipedia entry:
On February 11, 2002 at 7:59 p.m. ET, Speedvision relaunched as Speed Channel. The first program of the new format was a special launch show and 2002 NASCAR preview focusing on Speedweeks 2002. News Corp.'s Fox had a year-old relationship as a NASCAR broadcaster, many NASCAR shows began airing on Speed Channel, a move that was unpopular with some of the network's viewers. However, with the increased NASCAR programming, viewership is at all-time highs, with the channel being added to many regular cable lineups.
Sad but true.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Why not just get the Moto channel from Europe to start producing content and completing with Speed channel?

·
Registered
360 Posts
HD Theater seems to have some very nice sports car programming. You have to hunt for it and of course most of it is several years old and imported from Europe. Nothing like the live races we're complaining about. They did pick-up WRC this year so perhaps they would do a better job covering this series as well?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I wonder if there are government grants available for something like this (starting a new cable channel). I have been watching Porsche race since 1968, and in all those years it has become very clear that in the US they don't care much for those "ferin" cars and sporty car races. It has always been NASCAR first and foremost, followed by Indy cars. They don't take too kindly to them little Nazi cars comin' over and beating Americam cars either (ie, the CanAm demise and Trans Am racing). I don't know if we would have the viewer-ship to support it. I really like the idea, though.

·
Registered
500 Posts
+1 We really need a all road racing channel HD is doing some cool stuff with World Rally and Classic car stuff. Yeah I cried the day Speedvision bacame Speed...remember what happened to Champ Car coverage? I remember one time they missed 10 minutes of a live CART race to show a (A)ascar rerun!

Remember when Speedvision covered Mazda series, Altantics, SCCA nationals, Euro truck racing(what a hoot) DTM, World Rally, Pikes Peak, Champ Car, Vintage racing, Porsche Supercup, highlights of historic Le Mans and F1...not to mention all the Euro bike racing...Lost Drive In...Lap of the Gods etc etc etc...Don't get me wrong...I like the occasional Nascar race...like drag racing...but HATE all the hours and hours of reality shows...and continuous Nascar blabber:soapbox: The only time I turn on Speed these days is to watch F1.
Loved to series HD did on vintage racing...okay I will get down now...next?

·
Premium Member
1,143 Posts
+1 We really need a all road racing channel HD is doing some cool stuff with World Rally and Classic car stuff. Yeah I cried the day Speedvision bacame Speed...remember what happened to Champ Car coverage? I remember one time they missed 10 minutes of a live CART race to show a (A)ascar rerun!

Remember when Speedvision covered Mazda series, Altantics, SCCA nationals, Euro truck racing(what a hoot) DTM, World Rally, Pikes Peak, Champ Car, Vintage racing, Porsche Supercup, highlights of historic Le Mans and F1...not to mention all the Euro bike racing...Lost Drive In...Lap of the Gods etc etc etc...Don't get me wrong...I like the occasional Nascar race...like drag racing...but HATE all the hours and hours of reality shows...and continuous Nascar blabber:soapbox: The only time I turn on Speed these days is to watch F1.
Loved to series HD did on vintage racing...okay I will get down now...next?
Agree 100%.:cheers:

·
Banned
3,494 Posts
madcow

wow awsome post!!
Speedvision? what a bummer I missed out on this ,sounds really cool wish I knew about it then ;) wish it would return.. why is it that certain things just seem to get worse IMO .

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
K Man S,
What I wrote in my initial post was a copy of an e-mail I sent to Grand-Am to the only e-mail I have for them. Here is the e-mail address: '[email protected]' . I have not received a response.
Maybe you can send them a copy of all the posts in this thread. That may carry a bit more weight than one lone e-mail.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts