Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I've been reading this forum for a little bit and have decided to post a question after some research into purchasing a 2015 Cayman. I have been looking at one that lists on the dealer's website at $67,775, but when I build it with all the options on the Porsche website (double and triple checked for accuracy), I can only get it to come to $66,780 including the $995 destination charge. Is there a reason the MSRP would be higher at the dealer than online? I have already requested a quote, which they gave in the mid $64k range. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I know of at least one dealer that had the $995 destination charge added in twice. I wrote to them about it and they fixed it on the Cayman where I spotted the error but then it happened months later again on another car. Not sure why the web price was inaccurate each time. Ask them to check.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering if exactly that could happen. At this point I'm considering just ordering one from our local dealer, since the listed one has ventilated seats and power-folding mirrors, $1000 in options that I'm not overly interested in. I will follow up with them and see what they have to say, though. Any idea on what should be a reasonable discount off MSRP? After following the forum I feel like $4000 off a 67,000 list price would not be asking too much.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Did you check for dealer added options?

Any idea on what should be a reasonable discount off MSRP? After following the forum I feel like $4000 off a 67,000 list price would not be asking too much.
If you ask for $4k off they are going to love you! I think $12/15k would be a better place to start. Negotiate to $9k ( unless they give you more) then stop and wait for them to call you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Noted. Although I should have been clearer, I was going to negotiate for 4k not start there. But I will certainly start lower.

·
Premium Member
2,593 Posts
A friend of mine just ordered at 2016B S with an MSRP af 89K and got 7.5% discount - in Philadelphia, Pa area. Could only get about 6% further away in CPa.

Could of had 9% I think it was for an "on the lot" 2015 B S for an MSRP of about 80K. Dealer also was pushing him towards a GTS "off the lot" but such was not speced exactly the way he wanted the B.

As to OP, even a 12K discount is 17% MSRP, the 15% seems rather insulting but whatever. But I understand one can always come UP but never down when negotiating.

IMHO on a 2015B or C (assuming "base" with no comment otherwise by OP) with limited options maybe 12% or ~ 8K (~58,500 starting point) might be a place to start where you will liklely not get asked to JUST GO elsewhere!:hilarious: Check your area for comps of course.

Good luck.

:cheers:

Reactions: cav14

·
Registered
295 Posts
What I learned from this thread is that the next time I'm at a job interview, I should start at asking for $100,000 more salary than what I currently make.

Apparently I've been negotiating wrong on everything, all these years!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
What I learned from this thread is that the next time I'm at a job interview, I should start at asking for $100,000 more salary than what I currently make.

Apparently I've been negotiating wrong on everything, all these years!
It all depends upon your profession. If you are a MLB player, than you would have to add a couple more zeros after the 1.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Let me try this again.
I think $12/15k would be a better place to start. Negotiate to $9k
I always like it when people forget to mention the important part of the post.
Negotiate to $9k

If this is a bad way to do a deal.... then someone please educate me and cav14 on how to do a deal.
What do I know?? I have only bought about 80 vehicles in my lifetime.

·
Premium Member
755 Posts
I love reading information like this. If anything these price threads have been a real eye opener for me. I feel like a fool now when I realize I've never paid anything different than what the dealer said was the price. Valuable info for me; honestly I never knew that was possible.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Let me try this again.

I always like it when people forget to mention the important part of the post.​

If this is a bad way to do a deal.... then someone please educate me and cav14 on how to do a deal.
What do I know?? I have only bought about 80 vehicles in my lifetime.
Prove it that this scenario worked with Porsche at about this time of the year. RECENTLY, within the last 2 - 4 years.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I love reading information like this. If anything these price threads have been a real eye opener for me. I feel like a fool now when I realize I've never paid anything different than what the dealer said was the price. Valuable info for me; honestly I never knew that was possible.
You can thank me later :kiss:

Prove it that this scenario worked with Porsche at about this time of the year. RECENTLY, within the last 2 - 4 years.

My car was $83k..... I got it for $7200 off plus some goodies Like clear marker lights, clear bra oh and a GT4 allocation. Need I say more?

I could care less about all this stuff! I honestly felt bad for the guy as it seemed he was going to go into the dealer and only ask for $4k off his purchase! Some people are not accustom to $60/$80 deals. I would hate to see any dealer get one over on someone because God knows they have stuck it to me before ! If you want to make fun or laugh go ahead:taunt: I was just trying to help this guy ( he asked for advice ) who seemed clueless at the time.​

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
You can thank me later :kiss:

My car was $83k..... I got it for $7200 off plus some goodies Like clear marker lights, clear bra oh and a GT4 allocation. Need I say more?

I could care less about all this stuff! I honestly felt bad for the guy as it seemed he was going to go into the dealer and only ask for $4k off his purchase! Some people are not accustom to $60/$80 deals. I would hate to see any dealer get one over on someone because God knows they have stuck it to me before ! If you want to make fun or laugh go ahead:taunt: I was just trying to help this guy ( he asked for advice ) who seemed clueless at the time.​
1) His car ~$67-68k, yours $83k
2) Your posted settle for $9k by starting at $12 - 15k, you got $7.2k plus extras without details (clearbra)

That is a far cry from what you were advocating, saying what to do. On top of that you didn't state time of year you did yours (for the stff lazies)

If you really wanted to help you would've made sure your advice was apples - apples instead of apples - oranges.

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you really wanted to help you would've made sure your advice was apples - apples instead of apples - oranges.
My car...May of last Year

Yes I did not finish the When they call you after the $9k bit. My bad! Next time I will painstakingly type out a full plan of attack for someone to follow :p.

An observation on my part..... everyone seems to have understood the low ball theme of my approach.

No hard feelings :cheers:!! Instead of asking me a bunch of question....why not give cav14 some advice that he asked for since mine was so bad.

·
Registered
538 Posts
WOW!! I am flabbergasted

Maybe you need some :helpme: Sir.

Yes... us previous GT3 owners know how to get a allocation! Big deal?

Maybe I own a 918 Spyder :taunt: Maybe I own a dealership?

In the post I already told you when I knew about the GT4. Did you think I was lying?

·
Registered
538 Posts
amdeutsch.... you and me have brought this thread way OT. cav14 is looking for answers!

What this site needs is a sticky HASH IT OUT THREAD! That way we can have these heated debates/discussions without destroying other peoples threads.

I am truly sorry!!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I started with a known discount from a buying service, then let each dealer know via phone what the best offer was, being sure to stay polite, and insisted on getting their answers via phone. Kept phoning one to give him a chance to better the other, and v/v. I got more off than I expected but less off than others here. But it was my first such negotiation, so I was happy.
Found my inspiration from a web site I found via this forum, but don't have it anymore.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I started with a known discount from a buying service, then let each dealer know via phone what the best offer was, being sure to stay polite, and insisted on getting their answers via phone. Kept phoning one to give him a chance to better the other, and v/v. I got more off than I expected but less off than others here. But it was my first such negotiation, so I was happy.
Found my inspiration from a web site I found via this forum, but don't have it anymore.
Me too.....except I did it via email between 7 dealers. ...and I shared their emails with each other which significantly helped with the negotiations. lol. I was brutal.

But to stay on topic.....there was no discrepancy between the MSRP and the configurator for my car. :)

Reactions: Lime-Gold
1 - 20 of 24 Posts