Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got tired of removing the trim at the seat belts, behind the seats and the rear hatch area to remove the carpet to access the aluminum engine cover for my yearly maintenance and to get easier access to the top of the engine. I purchased a carpet panel from the RL classifieds for $100 to cut and preserve my original carpet in case my plan did not work out and to restore it to it’s original condition.
I removed the original carpet by removing the plastic trim at the seatbelts and the aluminum grab bar and the adjacent plastic trim. I installed the new carpet panel by sliding it under the aluminum oil/coolant panel and the side trim. I then installed the plastic trim behind the seat but not the aluminum grab bar. I then marked the carpet with a sharpie using the plastic trim behind the seat as a guide. I removed the carpet and cut the carpet and foam 1/4” bigger than the marked line with a fully extended snap off blade.
I took the cut off piece and cut it into three segments so I could compress them and remove and reinstall them under the installed plastic trim to access the torx engine cover screws in the front corners. I did not use the two torx screws in the front center of the engine cover and left the center carpet segment in place and slide the aluminum engine cover under the carpet segment and all the remaining torx screws are easily accessible when the carpet panel is removed.
After reinstalling all the plastic trim and aluminum grab bar I can now remove the modified carpet panel in 12 seconds which gains access to the aluminum engine cover and can reinstall the carpet panel in 45 seconds if I leave the side edges on top of the trim and tuck it under the aluminum oil/ coolant panel and the plastic trim behind the seat. I can take the extra time and effort to tuck the carpet under the trim on the sides for a complete undetectable look but it isn’t necessary IMO. The hold downs are still functional. I have also reduced the chance of breaking clips from the removing of plastic trim.
Jim
Glasses Sleeve Musical instrument Waist Headgear

Cut carpet panel on top of original carpet to show cut area which is 1/4” larger than marked line (to allow cut to be concealed under plastic trim. The narrow full width cut off section is then cut into three segments as shown installed below.

Automotive tire Hood Grille Product Automotive lighting

The cut carpet piece cut into 3 segments and compressed and installed under the plastic panel. The 2 corners are removable to access the corner torx screws.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Trunk

Installed removable carpet panel.

White Hood Light Product Automotive tire

When I travel or need extra storage I lay down a piece of DynaPad for extra sound control and use my Suncoast bag, which was also a fall back plan if I “screwed up” my removable carpet plan.😂

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice work!

Shawn in VA (USA)
Thanks Shawn. I wasn’t sure if it would work so I went with a carpet off of the classifieds. It was still stressful to make the first cut but not as bad as when I cut a hole in the dash when I installed the sport chrono clock. 🤣 It worked out well and it is now so quick and easy to access the top of the engine.
Jim

Reactions: ELCID86

·
Registered
619 Posts
I bet! I’ve watched videos on the clock install .

So on the carpet are there 3 sections cut front to back on the long sides?

Shawn in VA (USA)

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I bet! I’ve watched videos on the clock install .

So on the carpet are there 3 sections cut front to back on the long sides?

Shawn in VA (USA)
Your first cut as shown on the first photo above is a long horizontal that is the piece that is under the plastic trim at the aluminum grab bar. I then cut that strip into 3 pieces to make them easier to remove to access the torx screws in the front corners of the engine cover.

Hood Light Automotive tire Automotive lighting Trunk

The 3 cut pieces of carpet (from the original cut piece) that are “pushed” under the plastic trim.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

one of the three cut pieces when removed allows access to the corner torx screw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts