Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Many 981 Cayman owners suffer from annoying hatch and trunk rattles. After adjusting the hatch stops, and wrapping the latch bar with electrical tape, there may still be rattles, squeaks and other high frequency noises. Some people can live with them, but I'm not one of those people. I finally decided to remove the plastic trim from the hatch, and darn it if nearly all the noises stopped! Of course, I can't drive around without the trim in the hatch for ever, so I did some noise reducing mods and reinstalled it. So far, it's remained noise free.

Removing the trim.
The trim is in two pieces. One is the wider piece at the back near the latch. First remove the pull handle that is molded into the trim. There are two tabs that must be pried inwards and then the handle is pried out of the trim. It's pretty obvious once you look inside the handle recess. Under the handle are two torx bolts to remove. Now the trim is held in with about eight metal clips. You can see them here:

Figure 1

This image shows the location of all trim clips.

The other part of the trim is "U" shaped and goes around the edge of the hatch on both sides and the "top" of the window (when it's closed). As you can see in Figure 2 below, it goes between the glass and the hatch body, which makes it a little difficult to remove, as you must pull the top edge over the metal hatch frame to release it, all while pulling on the metal clips on each side (start at the back near the latch edge) and then finally pulling on the clips at the top of the window. This piece is so large and flexy, it sort of falls out and down as you release clips. Be careful as there is a cable for a manual emergency latch release that sits on the driver's side of this trim. You have to release it from the plastic release tab on the trim. It looks like a bicycle brake cable.

Figure 2

Once the trim is removed, I did the following to reduce noises.
1. I lined the U trim with foam where you can see the two small factory pieces in the photo above. I used 1/8" dense foam along the entire edge on both sides.
2. I replaced all small factory foam with the thicker denser foam.
3. I removed the emergency hatch release cable. Given the uses I put the hatch cargo area to, I will never need to get in there manually. If the battery goes dead, I need to get into the frunk, not the hatch area, first.
4. I taped all wires down to the hatch body using double sided foam tape.

Here are some more photos of the U shaped trim piece to give an idea of the location of the clips from inside the hatch, and its profile.

Here's a photo of the foam I put on the U trim. The little rubber thingy on the edge didn't work--it doesn't touch anything, and it fell off as I reinstalled the trim, so just ignore those.

Here's the rear trim piece, showing the location of pins and clips.

Here's the location of the rear piece clips before you remove it, so you know where to expect resistance. Pry the rear (top of photo) ones first, then do the side front ones, then the three in the middle last. There is a LED light that will probably just pull out as you remove the trim. It's unlikely you'll break it, but be aware it's behind the latch mechanism.

I placed Deamplifer Pro on the hatch inside this piece, just because I had some, and it can't hurt.

BTW, when you put the rear trim panel back, you need to insert the latch first, then connect the LED light wire, then push the clips on either side in first, then go to the clips at the front sides that engage with the other trim piece (two clips on each side). Finally push the center area clips in last.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'm lucky but there is a Grainger outlet here in ABQ, and they have a nice 1/8" x 2" x 30' roll of dense foam with adhesive back in black. Comes in handy throughout the car. I couldn't find anything better in Amazon, but similar yes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
39 Posts
Perhaps the emergency manual hatch release would be needed if the solenoid ever failed? Has anyone found some treatment of the cable to keep it from rattling?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I did something like that not that long ago, and don't remember dealing with that emergency cable; need to remove the access cap to see if it's there. Anyway, the worst offender on my car was the damn handle to close the hatch. I had to apply foam and thin rubber tape everywhere, until the creaking stopped. It's not silent back there even after the intervention (might be the side pods), but that helped a lot. I only applied foam tape where was needed. Before removal, I applied pressure and pushed everywhere, to know where the creaking/squeaking was. Those photos would have helped a lot. Glad somebody posted a DIY. Good job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you removed the hatch liner did you see a resonance counterweight fitted to the hatch. I have a 981 and from the photos I can’t see one fitted as are seen in the 987 models.
I have the dreaded clunking noise when I hit a bump coming from the rear of the car.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too would like to see some pictures related to the removal of the hatch trim.

On a related note, why is it that this Planet9 site has so many dead-ends when it comes not only to pics, but to how-to articles?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts