Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fabricated and installed these grilles for my CGTS:

I purchased the mesh stock here: Mesh Grill Universal ABS Plastic Honeycomb Euro Sport Design Sheet 46 5"x15 5" | eBay
It's large enough for the three grilles and one, maybe two errors depending on how you layout the templates. It's black ABS plastic, so quite stiff, but easy enough to bend behind the intake surrounds, especially as they are so large on the GTS.

I used some cardboard to trace out the shape of the opening of the three radiator intakes. Just get some cereal box cardboard and cut out a hole in the middle to hold it in place with. I just traced the outline of the opening with a Sharpie.

I transferred the shapes to the mesh and cut them out with a 3/8" edge all around. I used a bandsaw to cut out the mesh, since it is about 3mm thick. You could do it with a fret saw, but probably not a regular straight saw.

The passenger side intake has a temperature probe on the inside edge and I cut a small hole in the mesh to allow it to protrude through. You can just see it in the photo above.

Having dry fit the mesh to confirm coverage with a little overlap, on to the install.

This drawing is just to help "visualize" some of the details below.

I drilled small (.5mm) holes in the intake surround plastic using a jeweler's drill bit. The figure above shows the 6 places I drilled holes, approximately.
I drilled the first hole with the mesh in place and tied it loosely. This allowed me to align the other holes very close to where I could tie part of the mesh with the shortest amount of wire.

I used jeweler's wire, which can be bought in the craft section of Walmart to attach the mesh through the holes. This is hard and I used those fine clamps doctors use to hold stitches to grab the wire and tie it. I fabricated a small "hook" out of a clothes hanger to pull the mesh up against the surround while I tied the wires.

Once all the ties were in place, I bent back the twisted ends and used black nail polish (now I see why women wear black nail polish--so that we have something to paint small parts on our cars black with!) to paint the wires having hidden them in the mesh.

Looks fantastic from 6 feet away, great from about 3 feet away and neat from about 6 inches away (if you can focus that close...I can't any more!)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nice job! Thanks for posting this. Does it seem like the wire will be strong enough to hold the mesh if hit by gravel or stone at highway speeds? I want to do this for protection more than appearance. Thanks again.

Reactions: Robsjorge

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used a really small hole, not only because the wire is very thin (it's like fuse wire) but that increases the "solid to hole" ratio. I drilled the holes about 4mm in from the edge, and so there's about 7x plastic for the wire to pull through to break away from the plastic. If you kicked the grille with your foot it would probably tear some wires, but rocks, road debris, I doubt they would break through, but even if they did, all six would have to break, and then the grille would just fall in front of the radiator and look obviously broken next time I went past the front of the car. I consider this a low probability event...

Others have asked for more details, and I will provide that asap. (Bad weather heading for NM I heard.)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
I do like them. Very nice!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thank you for the write up! And it looks great! I was planning to buy the similar honeycomb type mesh from McMaster and DIY. Except the Mcmaster one is metal and silver. I would have to spray can it black. But I think I'll buy the same type of black ABS plastic version from eBay instead.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got a photo in this morning of the template and the grille cut about 3/8" outside the template. This is the passenger side with the temperature probe, so you can see the cutout circled in red. I will post more photos of the installation soon...

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, I got my daughter to run beside the car at speed to confirm they are rock solid! She hung in until about 130mph, which was impressive...

Let's just say they are tightly held in place, and I am extremely confident they will protect the radiators as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As requested, a few more closeups (real closeup!) of the grilles showing the cutout for the temperature probe (which sticks through on this "rear installation" but is not a problem with the Zunsport grilles.)

And a close up of the attachment wire:

This is closer than my eyes can focus, and only a 12-year old would be able to notice this...
(not because they care, but because they have great eyesight!)

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
LOL! that was a great response, made me actually laugh out loud. good point!

Yes, I got my daughter to run beside the car at speed to confirm they are rock solid! She hung in until about 130mph, which was impressive...

Let's just say they are tightly held in place, and I am extremely confident they will protect the radiators as needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
474 Posts
That looks awesome - thanks for sharing!!

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Thank you for the write up! And it looks great! I was planning to buy the similar honeycomb type mesh from McMaster and DIY. Except the Mcmaster one is metal and silver. I would have to spray can it black. But I think I'll buy the same type of black ABS plastic version from eBay instead.
The sprayed metal mesh will eventually strip in location like this and you'll have a mess with no easy fix. I currently have it on custom grill for my Subie, and I have to respray it every year to look good. But it's very easy to take the grill out on Subie... So black plastic, if it's strong - is much better for this application!

Reactions: Robsjorge

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
+1 for T-Design's comments. Paint is not a good finish. Powdercoat or something similar is about the least you need. The black ABS plastic I used is about 3mm deep, so pretty sturdy, and if it chips, it's black underneath.
To the question: I did not remove the bumper to install my grilles. They are held on with fine wire from the front, as described above.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Sorry I wasn't too clear - I was taking a look at my car today and was wondering how you got it behind the intake surround plastic. I'm assuming you just took that plastic piece off, put the mesh guards in, put plastic piece in, wire it up?

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wuzer: I didn't remove any pieces. I believe that all black pieces (splitter and radiator intake surrounds) only come out from behind the bumper. So you have to remove the bumper to get them off. I used a jeweler's drill to make very small holes in the surrounds at the back edges (some can be done using a Dremel, others by hand) and then installed the grilles and wired them up using jeweler's wire.
Maybe taking the bumper off is easy, but I read the instructions and didn't see the point given I could do the jewelers thing.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
As requested, a few more closeups (real closeup!) of the grilles showing the cutout for the temperature probe (which sticks through on this "rear installation" but is not a problem with the Zunsport grilles.)

And a close up of the attachment wire:

This is closer than my eyes can focus, and only a 12-year old would be able to notice this...
(not because they care, but because they have great eyesight!)
What are the temp probes for? Those aren't on the 981 Boxster or Boxster S?

Also, great job! But I'd be worried about those tiny cable ties tearing or tearing through those tiny holes. If you don't go above 100mph, probably nothing to worry about. But when I installed the mesh metal grills on my car, I used cable ties, as well as screws as I wanted something more than a tie securing it. A year later and multiple 150mph runs and it's held up perfectly so I'm sure it always will. May have been fine with just the cable ties, but I feel a lot better knowing I've got a screw at each corner holding it on.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts