Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what you'll need:

Air Filters set, Synthetic grease (I used Super Lube $8) 10mm flex head wrench, T25 torx screwdriver

1. Pull those two pieces out and it exposes the trunk carpet, remove it then you can access to the ECU & air filters

IMG_9773.JPG

2. Lift up the silver trim that cover the coolant & oil caps. You have to lift it hard otherwise it won't pop off.

IMG_2788.JPG

3. Remove the ECU using the 10mm flex hex wrench. Unscrew 2 bolts on the top and other 2 on the bottom that holding the ECU.

IMG_9802.JPG IMG_9800.JPG IMG_9824.JPG

4. Now time to swap in new air filters. Unscrew the left side first using torx screwdriver then use your fingers to pull it out.

IMG_2787.JPG

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
5. On the right side you need to detach the oil hose by pushing the collar and then you can access to the air filter.

IMG_9803.JPG IMG_9806.JPG

6. Vacuum and clean both side of the air rams.

IMG_2783.JPG

7. Apply new synthetic grease to the new air filters.

IMG_9820.JPG

8. Insert both new air filters back into the rams untill you hear a click.

IMG_9808.JPG IMG_9813.JPG

Screw bolts,snap back the oil hose, put the carpets back in place.............done

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
So you did find a way to take the trim out!

Good point abut vacuuming/cleaning the filter housing when filter is out. I had a lot of crap in there.

Reactions: chris1210

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that this is NOT the intended way to access the filters on a Cayman???? No one has figured how to remove the engine cover? Seriously? Removing a sensitive and extremely expensive electronic component (ECU) is asking for problems.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks that this is NOT the intended way to access the filters on a Cayman???? No one has figured how to remove the engine cover? Seriously? Removing a sensitive and extremely expensive electron component (ECU) is asking for problems.
Looking at the pictures it seems the ECU was not disconnected. Just taken off the sheet metal to get to the filter. I do not have the maintenance manual, but this procedure seems pretty logical and straight forward and I could not imagine another way to get to the filters. Unless you take off the complete plenum coming from the top would not help.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Thank you for posting this! I have 2,000 miles on my Cayman S. Doing my first oil change myself in a few days. Next, new air filters. Not sure when, but thinking 3,000 miles or so. WHat do you think?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thank you for posting this! I have 2,000 miles on my Cayman S. Doing my first oil change myself in a few days. Next, new air filters. Not sure when, but thinking 3,000 miles or so. WHat do you think?
I do get the point of changing the oil after the engine break-in (most people say it is just for a warm and fuzzy feeling), but why do you think a brand new filter would be clogged up faster in a new car?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I change my air filters at 3000 miles and the OEM filters seem pretty new to me. I replaced the new BMC air filters because I want to improve the sound with my cargraphic exhaust and it does improve a bit :) If you guy are planning to replace new air filters after break-in for warm feeling I think it is a waste.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Yes, changing filter after 2K is an absolute waste.

But I think Porsche recommended 20k is a bit too long. Mine was VERY dirty at 20K. So I'll be doing 10k from now on.

Reactions: chris1210

·
Registered
299 Posts
I may be wrong but doesn't Porsche recommend changing the air filter at 40,000 miles. I definitely wouldn't wait that long but I think 3000 is way too early. Please correct me if I have read this incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Thanks for the advice. While 3,000 miles seemed early, I was thinking about doing it for two reasons. One: it seems like the intakes can easily pull in leaves and all sorts of stuff. The front intakes get all kind or crap in there. I installed the Zunnsport Grill Guards for that reason in the front. I don't care for that look on the sides. Two: I thought it would be fun to do some maintenance on the car.

No sense in wasting time an money so I will wait for 10k miles and change the filters at that time.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Has anyone figured out how to actually get the engine cover off? All the trim is over the carpet. Everybody at the dealers ive talked to says you pry it out . But no one has actually done it . Love to see an actual video of it coming out. carl

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Last year when the 981 first started hitting the dealers, a video was posted where a mechanic at a dealership showed how to do the air filter changes. His method was exactly the same as what this thread states so I think removing the ECU, etal is the accepted/easiest way to change the air filters.

·
Registered
362 Posts
how much was the sound change? I had an EVOMS filter on my 987.2 and the sound change was awesome.

·
Registered
362 Posts
how much was the sound change? I had an EVOMS filter on my 987.2 and the sound change was awesome.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After changed the new air filters I could feel the engine revs more freely, it also sounds a bit louder with my exhaust. BMC didn't claim how much HP their filters could gain :(

·
Registered
590 Posts
I posted a month or so ago that I removed and cleaned one of my air filters in my 981BB. It had 5500 miles on it at the time. I did it for the fun of it and cleaned it while I had it out. There is absolutely no reason to 'replace' them at 3000 miles unless you drive around a lot of ash. Nothing wrong with cleaning but really there is so much surface area it really should have no affect on the cars performance.

As for taking the engine cover off to access them in either a Boxster or a Cayman would accomplish nothing. They can not be replaced from the engine side of the firewall.

Cheers.

·
Registered
642 Posts
what you'll need:

Air Filters set, Synthetic grease (I used Super Lube $8) 10mm flex head wrench, T25 torx screwdriver

1. Pull those two pieces out and it exposes the trunk carpet, remove it then you can access to the ECU & air filters

View attachment 47519

2. Lift up the silver trim that cover the coolant & oil caps. You have to lift it hard otherwise it won't pop off.

View attachment 47520

3. Remove the ECU using the 10mm flex hex wrench. Unscrew 2 bolts on the top and other 2 on the bottom that holding the ECU.

View attachment 47523 View attachment 47524 View attachment 47525

4. Now time to swap in new air filters. Unscrew the left side first using torx screwdriver then use your fingers to pull it out.

View attachment 47529
Great write-up Chris!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just replaced the air filters on my '14 Cayman, thanks to this write up. Nice work. Didn't take long but damn that plastic piece that covers the oil and water fillers is a PITA, and sharp.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts