Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I've used two large (wide) zip ties through the hoops and grabbed the ties with a vice grip. Not as elegant as velcro, but it works.

V6

·
Registered
280 Posts
All this stuff about coat hangers, zip ties, and special tools is nonsense. I also had trouble getting the filters to budge but then realized all you have to do is squeeze the loops towards the center before you pull and it unlatches the plastic hold clips and the housings pull right out. if you try to pull without squeezing the finger loops towards the center you will rip the skin on your fingers but the filter housings will never budge! You don't need any tools beside your index finger and thumb.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
All this stuff about coat hangers, zip ties, and special tools is nonsense. I also had trouble getting the filters to budge but then realized all you have to do is squeeze the loops towards the center before you pull and it unlatches the plastic hold clips and the housings pull right out. if you try to pull without squeezing the finger loops towards the center you will rip the skin on your fingers but the filter housings will never budge! You don't need any tools beside your index finger and thumb.
Do you seriously think everyone here is just too dumb to know that? Of course you pull the tabs towards each other to release the little locking tabs. Great that yours was very easy, however sometimes they just do not want to come out depending on how much grease is applied to the seal so they can be very difficult to remove to the point of breaking things. Your single experience and sample rate of one out of thousands is not proof of anything. I guess the expensive special tool was designed by a bunch of guys who also don't know how to pull the hoops toward the middle either:crazy:;)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I admit to being dumb then because I did not know that and found it out the hard way. I changed mine at 8,000 miles so nothing was stuck yet, did not realize they can get tight after a while. Happy Driving!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since I broke one of the hooks while pulling, there was no possible way for me to yank it out anymore.

So I took a flat head screw driver and very gently popped it out and it came out effortlessly.

I am not sure why no one suggested this method and I can't see any downsides of this method, I see no physical damage to the plastic. Just curious if anyone else has this same experience.

I've glued the hook back on, but I'm sure it will just break off the next time I try to yank it again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
5. On the right side you need to detach the oil hose by pushing the collar and then you can access to the air filter.

View attachment 47530 View attachment 47531

6. Vacuum and clean both side of the air rams.

View attachment 47532

7. Apply new synthetic grease to the new air filters.

View attachment 47533

8. Insert both new air filters back into the rams untill you hear a click.

View attachment 47534 View attachment 47535

Screw bolts,snap back the oil hose, put the carpets back in place.............done
Very helpful, thanks for posting. I am up for my 60K/or 6 year interval service and my 2014 Cayman only has 7,050 miles. I think i can do most of everything; except for drive belt. Any idea anyone on how to reset the interval and oil needing service messages on dashboard when you do your own stuff? They are charging me $1,000 for everything at my dealership which includes the $840 labor.

·
Premium Member
34,219 Posts
Very helpful, thanks for posting. I am up for my 60K/or 6 year interval service and my 2014 Cayman only has 7,050 miles. I think i can do most of everything; except for drive belt. Any idea anyone on how to reset the interval and oil needing service messages on dashboard when you do your own stuff? They are charging me $1,000 for everything at my dealership which includes the $840 labor.
To reset the reminders I have used both a CResetter II and the iCarsoft POR V2.0. The iCarsoft is dedicated to Porsches whereas the CResetter appears to work for other cars and in a humorous way, the list of vehicle manufacturers is not alphabetical so don't get fooled - it does work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a question. Over the weekend, I replaced the air filters in my 2014 CS. Between the vertical carpet piece and the EMU, there was a piece of grey batting. I didn't get a picture (DOH!). It seemed like an afterthought in the car. Does anyone else have this in their cars?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just did my 15 CS. The batting goes behind the ECU and in front of the oil line. Check the pics at the start of this thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just did my 15 CS. The batting goes behind the ECU and in front of the oil line. Check the pics at the start of this thread.

Tim, thanks. Mine was between the ECU and the carpet. That misplacement and the missing trim clips are keeping the Oil filler/Coolant filler trim piece from engaging the clips, so it is just sitting there. Probably one source of rattles/buzzing. I have ordered a bunch of clips from Byers Porsche in OH. I'll fix it when those come in.

Scott

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sounds like whoever changed the filters previously messed things up. Good luck with your install. Make sure you have the cone shaped fittings on all the clips when you reinstall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Doing my 40,000mi service piecemeal in my garage, '14 Cayman base. Already changed plugs on it and have engine and cabin filters en route from FCP Euro. Thanks for the helpful guide!

·
Registered
5 Posts
How challenging were the plug replacements?
The most important things you'll need are patience, and protection for your hands (exhaust shields are sharp).

I was able to do the job in a couple hours with only having looked at guides here and on Rennlist. A good set of universal joints and extensions for your ratchet goes a long way on this job. I would also duct tape the spark plug socket to the end of your extension, so you don't leave it in the cylinder head after tightening the new plugs. I was able to tighten each plug to 24lb-ft as well. Finally, I put a SMALL amount of aluminum anti-seize on the threads of each new plug. I would rate the job low difficulty level but highly tedious.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts