BTW - highly recommended music player - Muzio Player - reasonably priced ($10/life subscription, also lesser subscriptions are available.)
It does the best finding and sorting of music that I've seen, ID'ing the genre of the music and automatically putting the albums/tracks into categories (classical, jazz, rock, etc..)
It enables playlists (and I think even suggests content for them based on your playing history..) VERY nice.
My only complaint (as with many apps when using 1280x720 resolution) is the inability to change the font size used. It's a bit small, but happily, buttons are labeled. and look pretty intuitive (important in auto use).
It did take about 10 minutes to categorize and index 4,000 tracks (on 2 USB thumb drives - it won't find the thumb drives at first scan - but if you tell it to look on SD memory cards - it finds and catalogs them very nicely.
It also allows saving the indexing, playlists, settings and such to the Google cloud - easily, I think 2 clicks.
It's 4.5 stars for me - - if the text and a few icons size was adjustable it would be a very solid 5.
A few quick screen captures:
Equalizer (interesting spacial settings):
Queue Display - it makes this up if you tell it to do random play. If you don't like one of the songs - use X to remove it from the queue. VERY cool feature!
I've written the developer of the app with a few suggestions RE - fonts and icon sizes.. and pointed him to this review, so I hope to hear back from him soon.
I did suggest I could talk to the people who make the unit (and lots of other units) and perhaps ditch the miserable excuse for a player (compared to this..) that comes on the unit and replace it with this under license. I think with a few tweeks it's really THAT good!
Now if we could convince him to write a radio app...
Update - 05/20/23
- I've been working on sorting out how this player catalogs music it finds, and I think I've found an issue - that I might be able to fix finally.
I have about 4,300 tracks in about 500 albums as my primary music hoard. These are all rips of CD's I own to my computer, and eventually to USB sticks I can use in the cars.
Being a tidy sort of person, I try to organize the music in what seems to me to be a logical way, making it easier to find what I want. The problem is - in so doing that I created an issue when this app goes to scan and catalog the music. The app - as shown above - has several ways to look at the music files - you can search/view by title, by album, by folder (containing the music), and by genre.
In my tidying up of things - when I have a number of CDs that are related, I try to group them together so they're obviously related. What I've typically done is create a high-level empty directory (named for what I'm putting in it, ie - "Enya Albums") - then I drag the albums (or cut/paste) them into the group directory. That works fine as long as I remember to make sure the original source directory (album) at the high level is deleted. If it isn't - duplicates show up in the listings. The software does have a switch that avoids playing duplicate files, but I'd rather they simply don't appear that way. So - I went through my source files, cutting/pasting/deleting things until all the albums I wanted to group were in the higher-level directory and NOWHERE else on the USB stick.
That worked - except for one group. In that group, instead of moving the entire album into the higher-level folder, I copied the songs from each album into the higher-level folder, without any album containers. There were 3 albums I wanted to be grouped together, and I found the flaw in doing it this way..
Besides information on the author, song title, performers, etc.. it turns out that the song listings also keep track of the track number (track-1, track-2, etc) for each album.
By copying the three album contents without the albums to the common directory, I had 3 songs battling for track-1, and all the other tracks. This software logically decided that it should create three copies of the album tracks, all the album tracks, in separate duplicate named directories. That causes confusion.
I believe (and will be trying) the fix for this is to create 3 new albums/folders in the high-level group folder and sort out the tracks into the different folders. I'll report back if this works...
Having fun in NJ on a rainy day, playing with the Android headunit..