Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Costco has QuickJack BL-5000SLX lifts on sale for $999.99.

If you don't belong to Costco, Home Depot is selling them for about $26 more.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Thanks a lot for posting this. They have the 7000 for $150 off in Canada which is just what I was looking for! Order placed!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats an awesome price! I paid $1250 for mine!...but no regrets! My Cayman is lowered and before I would have to use 2 floor jacks. The Quickjack is so much easier and most definitely safer!

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just an additional positive review - I've had mine for over 3 years and I love it. I've used it for my 2007 Cayman S and many other family/friends cars. I also like that it takes almost no storage room, the jacks just live under my car and the pump unit fits on a shelf.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Always tempted when these go on sale but don't think i have enough room to use it in my garage. Only can fit one car and can't open the doors completely. Afraid to leave them on the floor because my car frequently comes home wet.
How far does the car move front to back when lifted?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Always tempted when these go on sale but don't think i have enough room to use it in my garage. Only can fit one car and can't open the doors completely. Afraid to leave them on the floor because my car frequently comes home wet.
I use mine in my driveway. Don't know if that's an option for you. As far as coming home wet - I don't think that would be a big deal.

How far does the car move front to back when lifted?
Not much - maybe 1' - 1 1/2'....

·
Registered
10 Posts
How clearance do you need to store them under the car?

I have a SPB and a Cayman S track car?

Do you need custom adapters to line up with the cayman jack points?

How much do each of the rails way?
Is the 5k system much heavier than the 3500?

What is the current draw on the system
(My trailer has solar an a 2k Inv, so I have power limits)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
How clearance do you need to store them under the car?

I have a SPB and a Cayman S track car?

Do you need custom adapters to line up with the cayman jack points?

How much do each of the rails way?
Is the 5k system much heavier than the 3500?

What is the current draw on the system
(My trailer has solar an a 2k Inv, so I have power limits)
I have the 5K system and I dont store the rails under my car. Each rail has urethane wheels on each end with a handle on the other so you can roll them around on a smooth surface easily to store them out of the way. I would estimate each rail to be about 40 lbs or so, but it has never been a problem for me. Each rail is about 11 inches wide X about 5.5 feet long X 3 inches thick without the rubber lift blocks when collapsed so you can store them flat on the floor out of the way somewhere or standing up against the wall. I guess you could place them side by side under the middle of the car for storage if you wished as long as you have at least 3 inches clearance. I have both of mine along the side of the garage wall flat beside my parked car on top of each other and they are both only 6 inches thick combined

The lowest measured point of the jack lift point is a about 3.8 inches using the shortest supplied rubber blocks as my Cayman has H&R lowering Sport Springs so my car is lower from frame to the ground at 4 inches than any factory Porsche suspension option including X-73 Sport Suspension. My 5K jack fits under the car longways perfectly with the smallest size supplied rubber blocks at the correct Porsche jack points with a few mm height to spare in order to get the rails and blocks under the car. If mine works, then any factory Cayman or Boxster option will be fine. The rubber lift point blocks that fit against the car are movable on the jack to adapt to many different cars lift positions.

You can use the rails crossways if you wish for larger vehicles where the rails may be too short such longways such as a larger SUV model. I have no idea on the current draw as I use mine in my garage from a normal 110V AC outlet. Its just a hydraulic pump using AT fluid to lift the car. The pump itself weighs about 30 lbs or so

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
frame itself is 3"
with small pads 3.8"
both frames are 76 lbs = 38 lbs each

I had a different lift in my prior home which cost $1250 but I had to finally have the concrete floor cut out(cost $600) to lower it to surface level because it was too high to drive over with any Porsche sportscar. It also was too heavy to easily move even though it was movable. It had swing arms to lift points but no open center area. It could lift much higher but I usually used it for tire, brake and oil changes so that wasn't a necessary advantage.
All and all the QJ is cheaper, easier to move, lower clearance without modifications.
Just order ordered it from Home Depot $1029 with free home delivery. Could have ordered from Costco but not a member and didn't to bother my sister for $30.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mine are slated to arrive Monday, but I wanted to do some prep so I'm ready to go with some maintenance right away. Since I have a rock driveway for now (rental), I wanted to cut some plywood to fit under the QJs to make sure they don't get dented or punctured by the rocks. Can someone with a set do me a favor and measure what the footprint of the portion that remains on the ground is? I'm thinking I'll get some 1/2-3/4" plywood and just zip tie it around the base for now, till I'm back to ready garage access.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
If anyone needs info on these go to QuickJack's website; it has everything and more than you would want to know.
Frames are 11" wide 70" long

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I've been very tempted to get a QuickJack for some time. However, having recently had to get under my 987 to investigate a possible water-pump noise, I just used 4 jack-stands. It only takes a few minutes since I only lift using the rear jack-point on each side in order to place the jack stands under the front jack-point and rear aluminum strut. Unfortunately this only gets the car about 16" off the floor. This is limited by the height of my stands and the max lift of my floor-jack. Seems like QuickJack could raise it about 21", which would be much easier to repeatedly crawl in and out. Also would provide more elbow-room while working.

I suspect QuickJack, and other similar lift systems, would make it difficult to remove the underbody plastic panels. Is that true? These cover most of the underbody from the waterpump forward to the front bumper. Several re secured by studs/nuts around the perimeter. If so, it seems like that would greatly reduce QJ's usefulness for many maintenance chores. For example, I would need to remove the rear cover to access any belt-driven accessories from below.

So I'm asking the QJ owners if this is an issue and if so, is there a workaround that doesn't negate the "quick" part of the QuickJack's usefulness?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I suspect QuickJack, and other similar lift systems, would make it difficult to remove the underbody plastic panels. Is that true?
Nope. I've had these for several years now and agree with the above guys that it's money worth spending. I never had to pull the panels off my 987, but I have had to pull underside panels and bumper covers off other cars and never had an issue. So times you have to get to a fastener that is above the top rail, but there is room in there for a stubby screw driver or such.
Storage is easy. I zip tie mine and put them up against the wall. Takes no room at all.
Worth every penny - especially at that price.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Wondering if QJ would fit lower cars like 991 GT3?

Also, does it raise the car high enough to do oil changes comfortably, even lying on a creeper? I put my cars up on jack stands and don't think it's that big of a deal, but a QJ had always piqued my interest as a faster and easier way.

TIA.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Wondering if QJ would fit lower cars like 991 GT3?

Also, does it raise the car high enough to do oil changes comfortably, even lying on a creeper? I put my cars up on jack stands and don't think it's that big of a deal, but a QJ had always piqued my interest as a faster and easier way.

TIA.
Lowest the jack can go with the smallest rubber blocks is 3.8 inches. My Cayman with H&R sport suspension sits at 4 inches from the ground to the jack points on the car which is lower than any factory Cayman suspension with just a couple mm to spare to slide it in, so as long as the GT3 has at least 4 inches clearance from floor to the jack point on the frame you should be fine.

My car with small rubber blocks will raise to about 18.5 inches from the ground, and yes I have been under mine many times using a creeper. All the details you are after are available directly in the QK site: https://www.quickjack.com/car-lift-systems/bl-5000slx-portable-car-lift.html

1 - 20 of 65 Posts