Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a used 2007 Cayman S from a Porsche dealer and asked them for the DME report. I believe I understand the report, and the results were alarming to m. Your thoughts? Readout taken it appears when dealer took ownership of car.

Range 1 2853 1079.2 Hrs
Range 2 100 1074.1 Hrs
Range 3 3 962.3 Hrs
Range 4 3 962.3 Hrs
Range 5 3 962.3 Hrs
Range 6 2 962.3 Hrs

Operating Hours 1090.6

Range 6!

Porsche also replaced the battery, the front tires, front brakes, front rotors, front trunk liner (leaking tire sealant), left front wheel housing liner, replaced low tone horn, remove and reinstall front bumper, and install missing tire compressor.

I am very new to buying Porsche, but this car is not looking too great. ???

- Phil

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Something is very wrong. If the car hits Range 6 that means essentially the motor has blown up. The engine would be dead at that point. You have 962 hrs in that range. I would have them rerun the DME. I never seen a DME remotely like this.

·
Sprinsteen fanatic
452 Posts
I am looking at a used 2007 Cayman S from a Porsche dealer and asked them for the DME report. I believe I understand the report, and the results were alarming to m. Your thoughts? Readout taken it appears when dealer took ownership of car.

Range 1 2853 1079.2 Hrs
Range 2 100 1074.1 Hrs
Range 3 3 962.3 Hrs
Range 4 3 962.3 Hrs
Range 5 3 962.3 Hrs
Range 6 2 962.3 Hrs

Operating Hours 1090.6

Range 6!

Porsche also replaced the battery, the front tires, front brakes, front rotors, front trunk liner (leaking tire sealant), left front wheel housing liner, replaced low tone horn, remove and reinstall front bumper, and install missing tire compressor.

I am very new to buying Porsche, but this car is not looking too great. ???

- Phil
Looks like a single-overrev, but isn't range 6 the 10,200 RPM limit? There are plenty of CPO Caymans out there that will not have anything in the upper ranges. Fact that overrev occured in the not too distant past is a bit troubling (at least it would be to me). I would start to wonder if that was why it was traded in. I'll let the experts chime in.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Range 6 STARTS at 9,500 revs! I don't really understand how Range 3, 4,and 5 can all just be 3 cycles. That is just ONE revolution of the engine, and at 7700 rpm, is a time period of .008 seconds. If accurate, this sounds like a big downshift error, and I agree that the car being turned in with little more than 100 hours after that event is worrisome. If anything, it certainly calls into question whether I would ever have any support from Porsche if the engine did have a problem.

- Phil

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't believe over revs in ranges 4,5 and 6 can be from an over rev, as the limiter kicks in at range one and while momentum can carry revs into range 2 routinely, or in theory maybe range 3, again not engine threatening. But over that It must be a missed downshift. But the number of ignitions in 3 thru 6 seems odd? It's obvious they are from a single occasion at 962.3 hours of operation, but 3 and 2 ignitions? It's my understanding that as the engine reaches the rev limiter at 7300 rpms, it's firing (three of the six cylinders) for a total of almost 22,000 rpms or 365 ignitions per second at a minimum. so when you see over revs, they are usually in decreasing order, eg. range 1 322/200hr,range 2 15/200hr, range 2 1/200hr, then 0's in 3,4,5,6. Perhaps downshift caused over rev notations don't record the same way as actual revs Past the rev limiter? In any event, I wouldn't be happy with this car.
Not only did the previous owner hit a range 6 over rev at 962.3 hrs, but he kept driving it hard (and it seems carelessly) thereafter recording more range 1 and 2 events right up 'till it was traded in. Beware:eek:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am with you. Thank goodness for the DME! I found another Cayman S, and if looks good, need to get it to a Porsche dealer for an evaluation. The party that has the car is willing to work with me on this, so a good sign.

Thank you.

- Phil

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'm not qualified, but keep searching the forums. I feel like I've seen a few dme readouts with tiny 1 or 3 or something in the upper ranges, I don't think it actually means anything. But then again I'm not qualified, go out, research and find the technical reason for this. The pattern just doesn't look like a measurement beyond ranges 1 and 2.

·
Registered
252 Posts
When I was considering my 07 Cayman CPO, I requested and received the computer readout from my dealer. It showed over revs including ranges 1, 2, 3 and 4. In each case they occurred at a definite point in time. In the case of the higher ranges and particularly 4, they were for a very brief number of cycles. I uploaded the pdf of the readout to this site and the expert verdict was that it was OK. In addition, my salesman advised that, for it to meet the criteria for a Porsche CPO, it had been checked out to meet the certification. I took all the replies as good karma and purchased the car. I have no complaints to date and it drives wonderfully.

In your case, and based on the replies I received on this site in December, it is pretty apparent the owner missed a down shift, as the rev limiter cuts out only on over revs on acceleration. Given the replies, it is amazing if the car still runs.

Checking out the available pre-owned on the Porsche website, it should not be hard to find a vehicle in your price range that you like, that has not been mistreated.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm not an expert, and agree it looks odd - but, I wonder if the low ignition count in the upper ranges is due to the fact that ignition was cut quickly in the lower ranges - i.e., the crank was revolving at a high rate, but the ignition wasn't firing, so the DME didn't count? Then again, I haven't looked at many of these. Agreed, I don't think I'd buy it (unless maybe Porsche warranties it CPO and acknowledges this report in writing).

·
Registered
911 Posts
Based on the updates that the dealer did it appears they were prepping it for a CPO offering. If that's the case wouldn't the engine be covered?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I do not believe these Range 3 through 6 ignitions are accurate. No one has been able to explain how an engine can rev up through those ranges and back down again and record only 3 ignitions in ranges 3 through 5. Each lower range should show more ignitions than the immediately higher range (thus the Range 1 and 2 ignitions in that case could be accurate).

The DME over-rev reports of two other Caymans recorded only 1 ignition in each of the higher ranges. I just don't know how that can happen. In those cases (search for over-rev posts here), the discussion concluded that those ignition counts were in error.

I saw on the screen, and have print-outs of, two DME over-rev records (after 2 years and then after 4 years) from my own car. The first one showed zeros for ranges 2 through 6, and the second one showed short dashes instead of zeros.

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
It's a known issue with early cayman ecu programing and was later fixed with an updated flash from Porsche

Jim Michaels said:
I do not believe these Range 3 through 6 ignitions are accurate. No one has been able to explain how an engine can rev up through those ranges and back down again and record only 3 ignitions in ranges 3 through 5. Each lower range should show more ignitions than the immediately higher range (thus the Range 1 and 2 ignitions in that case could be accurate).

The DME over-rev reports of two other Caymans recorded only 1 ignition in each of the higher ranges. I just don't know how that can happen. In those cases (search for over-rev posts here), the discussion concluded that those ignition counts were in error.

I saw on the screen, and have print-outs of, two DME over-rev records (after 2 years and then after 4 years) from my own car. The first one showed zeros for ranges 2 through 6, and the second one showed short dashes instead of zeros.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts