Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to own a 987.2 and loved it. Unfortunately a cross country move meant she had to be sold. I'm in love with the 981 styling, I think its the best looking car out there and I've been looking into buying one. The issue I have is that it just doesn't sound as good in the cabin as I remember my 987 sounding. Am I crazy in this or is there something to this? My thought was that maybe with the M/T I was holding the gears at higher RPMs and that's what I'm missing out on with the PDK. I tried Sport mode and it didn't really do much, the car I was in didn't have PASM either.

For clarities sake my original car was a 2009 M/T 987.2 S w/o PSE vs. a 2015 S PDK 981 w/o PSE.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I find my current 981 2.7 sounds far better from inside the car than my previous 987.2S. Both with standard exhaust. Top up or down. The 981 tone is far more intoxicating, and louder. The 987.2 was "missing something", sound wise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've actually heard folks say the 2.7 sounds better than the 2.9. Maybe I should go drive a base and check it out. Have you drive the 2.9 981?

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I used to own a 987.2 and loved it. Unfortunately a cross country move meant she had to be sold. I'm in love with the 981 styling, I think its the best looking car out there and I've been looking into buying one. The issue I have is that it just doesn't sound as good in the cabin as I remember my 987 sounding. Am I crazy in this or is there something to this? ...
Agree. There is less mechanical engine noise in the cabin of the 981, and I miss it.

What is louder on the 981 is the exhaust (even with the PSE turned off; I did not have PSE on the 987.1). At some point I would like to try removing some sound insulation from the engine cover, or adding a clear engine cover if one ever becomes available for the 981.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Yes, this is one of my big negatives with the 981 GTS (among a quite long list.) My 987.1 S was quite loud especially with engine noises in the cabin. Not uncomfortable, and not bothersome at all, but exciting and very much a part of the experience. I miss my old car...
Anyway, while I understand the new higher level of sound deadening, (although this makes the hatch rattles far more noticeable and annoying!) it really reduces the fahrvergnugen. It's a sports car, for goodness sake, and it should be loud and exciting. My GTS is far too GT, and not enough S...
The exhaust sound is OK, but pales compared to my Fabspeed on the previous car. My GTS is a Lexus until I push all the buttons on the center console. And I don't think a Porsche should have two personalities. Just one was fine in my old car--hell hound full time sports car when I turned the key. Period.
If you think a Porsche should be a sports car ALL THE TIME, don't buy a new Porsche...

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I take your point but I'm glad I've got the buttons as the PSE will drone and it's nice to be able to turn it off. And having a stealth mode is sort of cool. But it's a bit of a fad isn't it, that and noise regulations. A properly tuned exhaust without mechanical gubbins to go wrong must be best, rasp, burble, howl!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Rev it past 4000 and you won't have to worry about a lack of sound. I think my 2.7 sounds fabulous, so does everyone that sits in the car.....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll have to go and check out the base, sounds like it might be a better choice if I want to get the newer body style

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, this is one of my big negatives with the 981 GTS (among a quite long list.) My 987.1 S was quite loud especially with engine noises in the cabin. Not uncomfortable, and not bothersome at all, but exciting and very much a part of the experience. I miss my old car...
Anyway, while I understand the new higher level of sound deadening, (although this makes the hatch rattles far more noticeable and annoying!) it really reduces the fahrvergnugen. It's a sports car, for goodness sake, and it should be loud and exciting. My GTS is far too GT, and not enough S...
The exhaust sound is OK, but pales compared to my Fabspeed on the previous car. My GTS is a Lexus until I push all the buttons on the center console. And I don't think a Porsche should have two personalities. Just one was fine in my old car--hell hound full time sports car when I turned the key. Period.
If you think a Porsche should be a sports car ALL THE TIME, don't buy a new Porsche...
Amen! Three times I tried to pull the trigger on a 987.2 CS (I put a deposit down on one) but couldn't because they just didn't sound as good as my 987.1 Cayman 2.7. The mechanical sounds inside my car were one of the main reasons I bought it and the 987.2 CS just didn't have them. I wanted to like the car, but just couldn't. It was fast, but in a Lexus sort of way.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
If you think that the 981 is quiet, check out the base 991. It sounds almost like a Lexus. I believe that the 981 is quieter than the 987, but the 987 is quieter than the 986. Interestingly enough I believe that the base 981 has a better exhaust note than the 981S. That's why I felt compelled to order PSE on my 981S, and I have never regretted that choice, notwithstanding the high price. There are other exhausts which sound sportier, but you can't disable them, and there are times when I prefer driving a quieter car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts