Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or do they use the regular 0W-40 formulation? I've read conflicting information and instead of just taking the dealer's word for it, I prefer to "trust but verify." Does anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Porsche dealer i bought my car from is owned by Roger Penske, so they use Pennzoil.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Interesting...what is brand in the oil reserve bottle in your frunk? My Cayman came with Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro Formula (with a NASCAR endorsement Ad in the label)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
No real way to know if you don't trust your dealer's word. My dealer has quart bottles of Mobil 1 on the shelf but all I've seen are the 5W-30 viscosity for Cayennes and such, I never saw any 0W-40. I would suppose larger dealer's get bulk oil delivered, so they probably buy by price as long as it meets specs. I change my own so I'd never inquired about it.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I do not believe there is a non-European formula for 0-40 weight.
There's not indeed. But worse, there's no 'European Formula' anymore. Mobil changed the formulation, but the aholes left the name, only adding a sneaky miniature 'FS' nearby. According to BITOG, it's crap. That's why I wouldn't go 10K miles on that. I'm probably going to change it to something better next time... but plan to do some research if Mobil1 0/40 Extended Performance is any better. That one only costs like $3 more per jug than the regular one. I wouldn't extend the interval, but would like to get rid of the 'rapid ticking' typical of Porsche flat-6s, if possible.

what is brand in the oil reserve bottle in your frunk? My Cayman came with Mobil 1 0w-40 Euro Formula
No 981 comes with extra oil. If yours did, it was either the previous owner (if used), or dealer did it as a tacked-on extra (Suncoast sells those Porsche bags. I have one). Porsche recommends Mobil1, but it's just a marketing scheme. Each dealer does the same crap, as noted above, and mostly buy from bulk (55-gal drums with no labels), which I don't trust, for several reasons. Much better to buy a jug or bottles yourself (so you know exactly what's going in there), and let it drain the 2+ hours that it takes to go from stream to rapid dripping.

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
I bought my 2016 Porsche Cayman brand new in Porsche Center Langley, it came with 1 quart Mobil 1 oil. Maybe it is dealer appreciation or only done in Porsche Canada?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I bought my 2016 Porsche Cayman brand new in Porsche Center Langley, it came with 1 quart Mobil 1 oil. Maybe it is dealer appreciation or only done in Porsche Canada?
It’s a dealer goodwill thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
no extra charge from my dealer, maybe because I paid cash :)
Hey, I paid cash too (6 figures), and no free oil. Ha ha. That's the 'crappy' oil, by the way (look for the 'FS'). Oh, and I put mine inside one of the cubbies until the first oil change, when I took it out, due to no oil consumption. That way, it didn't take space in the already limited frunk.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Or do they use the regular 0W-40 formulation? I've read conflicting information and instead of just taking the dealer's word for it, I prefer to "trust but verify." Does anybody know for sure?
I doubt they use Mobil 1 solely. But they probably do use one listed on the Porsche Tech Bulletin that meets their A40 standard. I used to buy Mobil1 from the dealer parts dept while picking up a filter. He would try to be very competitive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My dealer in the Toronto area uses Castrol 5W-40 now. It is absolutely impossible to buy Mobil1 5W-50 in Canada (I called them to verify) so I got three cases last time I was in the US. I’m good for a couple of years now.

I will be interested to see what a UOA turns up in the Castrol when I change it next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.