Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last visit to dealer they said I should consider replacing front tires because they were drying out. They are the original summer tires from 2015 with about 22k miles on them. They definitely have tread left on them and I am about to swap them for my winter wheels.

So it would be easy for me to order 2 pzero (that's what I have on the back) and have them delivered to my house and then take the 2 wheels and tires somewhere to have them mounted. Just wasn't sure if it was necessary at this point. Thanks.

IMG_5955.jpg tires.jpg

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Your tires are fine. Unless they sit in the hot sun all day, every day, they won't dry out in just a few years. Michelin, for example, suggests theirs will last at least 6 years before any deterioration is likely and more often, up to 10 years before replacement must be done. Dry rot isn't always visible, as it can happen inside the tire, but it won't happen in 4 years. I'd keep running them for a couple more years if they were mine. And in fact my fronts are now 6 years old with lots of tread and zero indication, inside or out, of any dry rot. My plan is to swap them out on their 8 year anniversary.:cheers:

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you are getting ready to put your winter wheels on, I would wait a few months and replace them when you get ready to put your summers back on.

·
Registered
482 Posts
You get dry rot in summer tires more from cold temps than hot temps. Summer tires stored or driven in the cold will have a tendency to crack and have tread separation due to inelasticity in the tread at temperatures below 40F.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
FWIW, I had the PZeros on our car and when the rears got down to 3/32 I ditched the set even though the fronts had plenty of tread.
The reason was I never cared for the tires much--noise, low traction under 60Deg., poor wet performance, etc; the only thing that was good about them was their steering response which was right now.
I replaced them with Conti Extreme Sport Max Perf.and have had few issues with them,. Quiet, great in the wet, smooth ride and plenty of stick when warmed up. Steering response is down a bit but nothing terrible--and they were a few pounds lighter per wheel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last visit to dealer they said I should consider replacing front tires because they were drying out. They are the original summer tires from 2015 with about 22k miles on them. They definitely have tread left on them and I am about to swap them for my winter wheels.

So it would be easy for me to order 2 pzero (that's what I have on the back) and have them delivered to my house and then take the 2 wheels and tires somewhere to have them mounted. Just wasn't sure if it was necessary at this point. Thanks.

View attachment 210567 View attachment 210569
I'm driving a 2014 Porsche S that came with Pzero tires. They lasted about 18k and had to be replaced in less than 2 years, all summer driving here in Florida. The rear will go before the front. You have 22K after 4 years, that pretty good milage for Pzeros. As for the dry rot, hard to tell without looking at inside of tire. I'd say replace them, you got your use out of them. The real indicator is to check the tread depth, are they wearing evenly across the entire tire, if not then replace.
I replaced them with Continental Extreme Contact Sport purchased from Tire Rack. They shipped them to my tire installer. They are waring very well with even wear across the tires. They are much quieter than the Pzeros and will last longer. I should add they are excellent in heavy rain.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If you never push your car hard, then its probably okay. If you do take it out for spirited driving, even occasionally, then I would look at better tires. There are lots of good options that offer better grip and better feel.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you never push your car hard, then its probably okay. If you do take it out for spirited driving, even occasionally, then I would look at better tires. There are lots of good options that offer better grip and better feel.
Thanks for all the replies. My rear tires were replaced when the car was CPO'd and only have about 6k miles on them. It would cost me another $700 to replace all 4 tires if I when with Mich PS4S ($1213). How do Continental Extreme Sport compare? They are only $983 for 4. Pzero are $480 for the fronts.

Are there usually any sales before April which is when I would switch back to summers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts